Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837717 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7000 on: January 24, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »
And the more you get up there, whats the difference between $626, $775 and $892 anyways...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #7001 on: January 24, 2015, 11:09:13 AM »
I think this qualifies as a OMG and a WTF. The week before I joined EMP the poster at the top of my want list was sold.
https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2021376.html
It appears to be the only one sold on EMP, and cinemasterpieces HAD one at some point.

moron1 faint2.gif  crying

I know the guy who bought it. It's going to a good home.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7002 on: January 24, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »
It is an unfortunate sad reality of life that there exists people such as yourself who consciously (or subconsciously) choose to denigrate and disparage others like above. Perhaps you do so because you have an unrequited need to make yourself appear smarter by criticizing others. Perhaps you are incapable of loving yourself and, therefore, others. Perhaps you are just a sad lonely person. I don't really need to know why you choose to behave negatively towards me. I do know some things though......

I do know that you are not the first person on here who has felt the necessity to express angst or take potshots at some of my recent auctions bids. I also know I have been quiet and contrite about the criticisms that have been posted about me thus far.

I know that I have been nothing but considerate towards others since I first signed on to these forums.

I know that there have been a few people whom have been open, welcoming, warm and considerate towards me from my first day as a member (and for that I thank you Jeff, Rich and Neo).

I know that choosing not to engage in the type of negative behaviors that you (and those members like yourself who seem to enjoy hating on others) seem to revel in and enjoy allows me to maintain a healthy life.

I know that I will probably regret posting this, because I believe that being heard is not always the best way to get one's point across.

I know that my best choice this evening was probably to have just cancelled my account and be done with y'all.

One thing you learn being here is: opinions vary.

In the grand scheme of things, people could point out anything that someone buys and say he/she paid too much.  Whether it's a $2.00 burger from McDonald's, a $50 burger at a fancy place, etc., people can find some way to say that the price is too much.  

Similar to you, PokerPlayr, I joined when a few people made some remarks about the Avatar lenticular I had purchased at eMovie.  Of course, this is a similar situation, and in both cases, Ari has said it best, basically: buy what you like and can afford, and you can't lose.

Those were some good bidding battles for some rad items, PokerPlayr, and it's respectable that you participate here.  It would be cool if there were more folks like you on board here.

cheers
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:43:16 PM by Neo »

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #7003 on: January 24, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
I know the guy who bought it. It's going to a good home.

Well if he ever happens to get tired of that ugly old poster, I might possibly know a guy!!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:56:13 PM by Gingerman »
This Space For Rent!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #7004 on: January 24, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »
One thing you learn being here is: opinions vary.

In the grand scheme of things, people could point out anything that someone buys and say he/she paid too much.  Whether it's a $2.00 burger from McDonald's, a $50 burger at a fancy place, etc., people can find some way to say that the price is too much.  

Similar to you, PokerPlayr, I joined when a few people made some remarks about the Avatar lenticular I had purchased at eMovie.  Of course, this is a similar situation, and in both cases, Ari has said it best, basically: buy what you like and can afford, and you can't lose.

Those were some good bidding battles for some rad items, PokerPlayr, and it's respectable that you participate here.  It would be cool if there were more folks like you on board here.

cheers

Well said guys. And compared to heritages results 1000 for avatar is a steal compared to some of their results.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #7005 on: January 24, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »
I like Ari's motto...  But I believe (in hoarding fashion), "the better the deal, the more I can buy".

When I first started collecting heavy (~>$200/mo) and before I found emovie I had a guy that would offer me stuff.  I bought two Japanese posters from him in a bundle for $450.  One poster sold last week at emovie for $60 the highest in the last four times is was auctioned and the other sold for $39, $56 and $61 plus on ebay for ~$50... If I had been smart I could have four of each poster at this point 5 years later for what I paid.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7006 on: January 24, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »

7th... Don't quit the forum.  Grow a thicker skin, ask questions and everyone will be glad to help.  I'll be glad to help.  I'll say that I often thought of jumping ship many times when I started participating.  But enduring assholes like me made me a better collector.

laugh1
Chris

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #7007 on: January 26, 2015, 12:18:51 PM »
@ Pokerplayr:  Take it easy, man...don't let others get to you.  This is almost-exclusively a testosterone field.  As a newbie, you're gonna get hip-checked into the boards once in a while by some of the "alphas".  Take it, get up, skate away and, when you see your chance, drive 'em through the boards...cleanly.

I started collecting in the fall 2014...immediately, irrevocably hooked!  Wife says it's a mid-life crisis...maybe.

I overpaid...really overpaid for some of my early stuff... examples:  120 Euros (plus shipping) for a First Blood poster...$355 (plus shipping) for a Dark Knight Joker "why so serious" poster.  But, you know what?  I wouldn't change a thing.  Those experiences have helped improve me as a collector ... I no longer buy a poster just because I want it bad ... I research ...research...research and research some more...then I set my limit on a poster ... then I stick to that limit...  it's worked for me and I've got a nice little collection now that I love and feel good about.

You may have deep deep pockets and don't care about overpaying ... if so, then carry on, my friend, and enjoy.  Just don't let others get under your skin...take it and then dish it out ... the forum is more enjoyable, for everyone, that way.

Mirosae

« Reply #7008 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:30 AM »
Very well said Baleizao  thumbsup.gif
@poker   hope you stick around. As others said. It is your collection. Do whatever makes you happy. :)

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #7009 on: January 27, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
@ Pokerplayer. I've collected this stuff for close to 50 years and it is always a learning process.  Have I overpaid?  Ya sure, you betcha and on the other side I've had many a steal.  Bottom line is I'll overpay again and/or I'll make another steal somewhere down the line, but the enjoyment is never diminished because the Pile-o-Paper™ is more important to me than certificates with pictures of Presidents and Founding Fathers ;-).
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7010 on: January 27, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »
Not sure why anyone rags on Pokerplayer---to each his or her own.  Pokerplayer has beaten me now on more than one occasion on some of the 007 stuff----more power to him.  I went as high as I wanted to go, he went higher.  No biggie.  There will be others.  Like others have said, sometimes you get deals, and sometimes you don't, but if you want it enough, then it's most likely a deal in your eyes, and that is all that matters.

Stay informed, buy what you like, pay what you're willing and can afford to pay, don't screw over others, and enjoy---these are my collecting tenets.
-Brian

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7011 on: January 27, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »
As others said. It is your collection. Do whatever makes you happy. :)

Its all about you for sure.

I could care less what anyone thinks about my shit and it is shit or I wouldnt post it.  :)

Mirosae

« Reply #7012 on: January 27, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »
Its all about you for sure.

I could care less what anyone thinks about my shit and it is shit or I wouldnt post it.  :)
;D ;D  i respectfully  disagree with the description  .I.take your collection anytime!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:15:22 PM by Mirosae »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7013 on: January 27, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »
 wynk

I think I left a couple of words out of that last sentence...  :P

I wanted to say its My shit and I love it or I wouldnt post it  ......

but I see I skipped a few words.

Mirosae

« Reply #7014 on: January 27, 2015, 11:23:55 PM »
I know Zorba the Great. Was just teasing you...  ;)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7015 on: February 10, 2015, 09:20:04 PM »
Interesting variety of prices on some stuff at eMovie lately.

Tonight, there were a few Japanese B1s I was planning on bidding on but didn't make it to the computer in time, and I wish I had bid earlier, especially because they went pretty cheap.  Looks like a couple dudes here won a few cool ones.  Congrats to y'all.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King sold for $9.  The last one I saw was a few years ago at Japanese Movie Poster Company, and it was around $150, and apparently he sold it in a lot of stuff for someone shortly after I asked him about it.  Anyway, it's pretty rad, with the oliphaunts (kinda like huge elephants).

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=3755297

Some other cool B1s:
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/Japanese%2520B1/archive.html

The rolled one sheets always seem to do pretty darn well at eMovie, and it'll be cool to see how some of those do on Thursday.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:02:28 PM by Neo »

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #7016 on: February 10, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
Interesting variety of prices on some stuff at eMovie lately.

Tonight, there were a few Japanese B1s I was planning on bidding on but didn't make it to the computer in time, and I wish I had bid earlier, especially because they went pretty cheap.  Looks like a couple dudes here won a few cool ones.  Congrats to y'all.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King sold for $9.  The last one I saw was a few years ago at Japanese Movie Poster Company, and it was around $150, and apparently he sold it in a lot of stuff for someone shortly after I asked him about it.  Anyway, it's pretty rad, with the oliphaunts (kinda like huge elephants).

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=3755297

Some other cool B1s:
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/tag/xtype%253AJapanese%2520B1%2520poster/sort/4/13.html

The rolled one sheets always seem to do pretty darn well at eMovie, and it'll be cool to see how some of those do on Thursday.

I wanted that Lost in Translation, but I also missed it. How about that Fright Night Quad?

Yes indeed the results for Thursday will be interesting, if I tell you what I want will you guys let me have them? thumbsup.gif hahaha
This Space For Rent!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7017 on: February 10, 2015, 09:43:26 PM »
I promise I wont bid on anything you want, you don't even have to tell me what you want, but I still guarantee I wont bid against you.

Im not bidding on anything
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #7018 on: February 10, 2015, 09:55:30 PM »
I wanted that Lost in Translation, but I also missed it. How about that Fright Night Quad?

Yes indeed the results for Thursday will be interesting, if I tell you what I want will you guys let me have them? thumbsup.gif hahaha

I am hoping that the Thursday lots do really really well, I have a good dozen or so of them in there.  :)

I can tell you this, in person the rolled Raiders of the Lost Ark looks a thousand times better than the description makes it sound like. The lost boys is not too shabby either. Used to be an NM copy then it slid out of a tube and hit asphalt along with a few others when a cap popped off. Was not happy when that happened. I was not the one carrying the tube and wanted to choke them for holding it non taped end down when we were moving stuff. It had about 20 posters in NM condition. None are NM any more.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #7019 on: February 10, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »
There were some unique Cate Blanchett posters that I wanted but they were in sets for Hobbit and Elizabeth.  Nothing you can really do when someone wants the set and is winning the other three.  I ran them up as much as I could make sense of...  That Hobbit poster was killer.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7020 on: February 10, 2015, 11:24:27 PM »

Yeah, the LIT B1s are quite the ticket, and the Fright Night quad is a classic.

I am hoping that the Thursday lots do really really well, I have a good dozen or so of them in there.  :)

I can tell you this, in person the rolled Raiders of the Lost Ark looks a thousand times better than the description makes it sound like. The lost boys is not too shabby either. Used to be an NM copy then it slid out of a tube and hit asphalt along with a few others when a cap popped off. Was not happy when that happened. I was not the one carrying the tube and wanted to choke them for holding it non taped end down when we were moving stuff. It had about 20 posters in NM condition. None are NM any more.

Ouch.  It stinks when something like that happens.  I was putting an ultra-rare poster in a sleeve recently, and the side was just hanging over the edge of my flat file cabinet, and I accidentally bumped into it and put a few tears in it.  Doh.gif

There were some unique Cate Blanchett posters that I wanted but they were in sets for Hobbit and Elizabeth.  Nothing you can really do when someone wants the set and is winning the other three.  I ran them up as much as I could make sense of...  That Hobbit poster was killer.

Those are very nice, but wouldn't you feel guilty breaking up a set like that?  :P  Aren't those really rare?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:41:17 PM by Neo »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7021 on: February 11, 2015, 04:54:27 AM »
The Leon B1 went for a good price IMO. Nice poster for a great film.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7022 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
I am hoping that the Thursday lots do really really well, I have a good dozen or so of them in there.  :)
Good luck!  I also have a few with Bruce (not thursday though) i'm keeping my fingers crossed...daddy needs a new, well, everything

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #7023 on: February 11, 2015, 10:44:42 AM »
Those are very nice, but wouldn't you feel guilty breaking up a set like that?  :P  Aren't those really rare?

I had bids in on all the Elizabeths but not the Hobbit set.  Best Cate poster I've seen that hobbit...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7024 on: February 11, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »
I didn't see the others for The Hobbit.  Another nice set for Filip1.  A few months ago, he picked up the Japanese B1 set for The Day After Tomorrow.