Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837063 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6975 on: January 23, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
To me, having everything grouped for lowest-cost shipments is way more important than having to be careful in reading the condition descriptions.  And besides, when he has "formerly folded" items in a rolled auction they are almost always pre-80s titles that are rarely found rolled. There were some exceptions last night of old posters that escaped the machine fold process – – most notably for me were the 2001 release star child and the man with the golden gun teaser.  There are a handful of studio posters from around that time that can be found rolled with patience, but NSS posters almost never turn up rolled. 
Thanks and good point.  Shipping is a concern to me too, but i'm sure EMP would agree to fold a "formerly folded" poster and include it in a flat package for me.  They are pretty good like that.  Jason also made the point that folding a poster in some cases, even if originally a folded one, might damage it if its been flat for so long.  God I love learning. Maybe EMP should just have a definition/explanation of "formerly folded" bc its not clear just to say "been laying flat a while"  thumbsup.gif 

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6976 on: January 23, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »
eh, that's only slightly above market value for a rolled Blade Runner in that condition.  HA sold one in lesser condition than that one for $896 in July.  And Bruce sold one for $626 in April.  IMO, $775 is probably 10%-15% above top end market value for that piece.  But, late 70s early 80s stuff (especially the high-end) has been on an upswing for quite a while.  Personally, I never like buying at the top of an upswing.  But, who is to really say if we are at the top?  Either way, I do not think it was as bad a buy as it might appear on the surface.  And for the record, I am not PokerPlayr............

I have the 40x60, and it is going into a frame within the week!

Eh, it is his money... I've paid stupid money for things. There were other examples. One was that Extermintor OS which usually goes for $2 - $10 that he bought for $120 albeit was rolled, but...

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3732088

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/EXTERMINATOR%2520('80)/archive.html

Reminds me of when Holiday use to drop wads on posters you could find for much less...  Remember anonymouse?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:03:51 PM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6978 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
Thanks and good point.  Shipping is a concern to me too, but i'm sure EMP would agree to fold a "formerly folded" poster and include it in a flat package for me.  They are pretty good like that.  Jason also made the point that folding a poster in some cases, even if originally a folded one, might damage it if its been flat for so long.  God I love learning. Maybe EMP should just have a definition/explanation of "formerly folded" bc its not clear just to say "been laying flat a while"  thumbsup.gif 

If you take a formerly folded poster that has been laying flat for a long time which now has relaxed fold lines (and thus able to be rolled safely) and fold it up again to be shipped you are just asking for condition troubles once it arrives!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #6979 on: January 23, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
Eh, it is his money... I've paid stupid money for things. There were other examples. One was that Extermintor OS which usually goes for $2 - $10 that he bought for $120

We all have been there..sometimes paying a bit extra. Sometimes you just buy it because.....well...just because it seems the right thing to do at the time

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6980 on: January 23, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »
Eh, it is his money... I've paid stupid money for things. There were other examples. One was that Extermintor OS which usually goes for $2 - $10 that he bought for $120 albeit was rolled, but...

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3732088

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/EXTERMINATOR%2520('80)/archive.html

Reminds me of when Holiday use to drop wads on posters you could find for much less...  Remember anonymouse?

this is one of the potential negatives of exposed bidder names. Someone may be driving up his bids knowing that he won't stop.
if I were him, I'd change my bidder handle now and see how that works and if his wins are costing so much

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6981 on: January 23, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »
I changed my emovieposter name to something more anonymous to avoid the attention of one or two of Bruce's more competitive bidders. I think Pokerplayr is simply an enthusiastic newish collector who is keen to build up his collection quickly. Good luck to him. I have been targeted by the poster police on numerous occasions and their views have zero effect on the perception I have of a posters value to me.

Mark

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6982 on: January 23, 2015, 09:04:34 PM »
thumbup for your comment!

But also know that because you changed your name, I won't know to quit when we get in a bidding war  ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6983 on: January 23, 2015, 09:36:05 PM »
I changed my emovieposter name to something more anonymous to avoid the attention of one or two of Bruce's more competitive bidders. I think Pokerplayr is simply an enthusiastic newish collector who is keen to build up his collection quickly. Good luck to him. I have been targeted by the poster police on numerous occasions and their views have zero effect on the perception I have of a posters value to me.

Mark

their self importance is much greater than the reality

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6984 on: January 23, 2015, 09:44:08 PM »

Reminds me of when Holiday use to drop wads on posters you could find for much less...  Remember anonymouse?

I dont know what the value is on those whatsoever but the one he bought in this example is the only rolled copy ever auctioned on emovie.  
But Pokrplyr, sorry I did see some crazy prices but who cares really right?  It takes two to tango and somone was definitely doing the dance with you even on the first round of auctions that pokr was bidding on not too long ago. I agree I would definitely change my name after all this discussion if it was me because people do make you pay up on auctions just for the heck of it...or for many other reasons.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:27:43 AM by jedgerley »

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #6985 on: January 23, 2015, 10:16:57 PM »
I think this qualifies as a OMG and a WTF. The week before I joined EMP the poster at the top of my want list was sold.
https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2021376.html
It appears to be the only one sold on EMP, and cinemasterpieces HAD one at some point.

moron1 faint2.gif  crying

So what do you guys do when a particular poster seems to evade you?

This Space For Rent!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6986 on: January 23, 2015, 10:44:13 PM »
Its happened to me twice this year.  I doubt I'll ever see the posters again, too.  In any case, my strategy (shhh...) is to sell some excess material and save up and maybe, just maybe, one day, I can be a bully myself.

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #6987 on: January 23, 2015, 11:14:51 PM »
Its happened to me twice this year.  I doubt I'll ever see the posters again, too.  In any case, my strategy (shhh...) is to sell some excess material and save up and maybe, just maybe, one day, I can be a bully myself.

The poster I am after is obviously not a secret, maybe I should of kept it a secret... bed1...hahahaha.... I will get this poster one day. I wish you the same luck in your search for your posters Vick!
This Space For Rent!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6988 on: January 24, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »

Exercise a zen-like patience.  95% of posters come around again at some point...
Chris

pokerplayr

« Reply #6989 on: January 24, 2015, 12:21:05 AM »
All I know is that PokerPlayr must not be a very good one...  Because he sure doesn't know when to hold and know when to fold.
It is an unfortunate sad reality of life that there exists people such as yourself who consciously (or subconsciously) choose to denigrate and disparage others like above. Perhaps you do so because you have an unrequited need to make yourself appear smarter by criticizing others. Perhaps you are incapable of loving yourself and, therefore, others. Perhaps you are just a sad lonely person. I don't really need to know why you choose to behave negatively towards me. I do know some things though......

I do know that you are not the first person on here who has felt the necessity to express angst or take potshots at some of my recent auctions bids. I also know I have been quiet and contrite about the criticisms that have been posted about me thus far.

I know that I have been nothing but considerate towards others since I first signed on to these forums.

I know that there have been a few people whom have been open, welcoming, warm and considerate towards me from my first day as a member (and for that I thank you Jeff, Rich and Neo).

I know that choosing not to engage in the type of negative behaviors that you (and those members like yourself who seem to enjoy hating on others) seem to revel in and enjoy allows me to maintain a healthy life.

I know that I will probably regret posting this, because I believe that being heard is not always the best way to get one's point across.

I know that my best choice this evening was probably to have just cancelled my account and be done with y'all.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6990 on: January 24, 2015, 12:25:12 AM »
aww Charlie is a nice guy. Don't take it too personally.  You buy cool shit! maybe he is super jealous lol  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:38:57 AM by jedgerley »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6991 on: January 24, 2015, 12:33:52 AM »
It is an unfortunate sad reality of life that there exists people such as yourself who consciously (or subconsciously) choose to denigrate and disparage others like above. Perhaps you do so because you have an unrequited need to make yourself appear smarter by criticizing others. Perhaps you are incapable of loving yourself and, therefore, others. Perhaps you are just a sad lonely person. I don't really need to know why you choose to behave negatively towards me. I do know some things though......

I do know that you are not the first person on here who has felt the necessity to express angst or take potshots at some of my recent auctions bids. I also know I have been quiet and contrite about the criticisms that have been posted about me thus far.

I know that I have been nothing but considerate towards others since I first signed on to these forums.

I know that there have been a few people whom have been open, welcoming, warm and considerate towards me from my first day as a member (and for that I thank you Jeff, Rich and Neo).

I know that choosing not to engage in the type of negative behaviors that you (and those members like yourself who seem to enjoy hating on others) seem to revel in and enjoy allows me to maintain a healthy life.

I know that I will probably regret posting this, because I believe that being heard is not always the best way to get one's point across.

I know that my best choice this evening was probably to have just cancelled my account and be done with y'all.

Stick around pokerplayr

You want it?
You can afford it?
You feel comfortable with the purchase?

Who is anyone to criticise?

Enjoy your poster wins.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6992 on: January 24, 2015, 12:43:21 AM »
It's no secret that poster collectors are both opinionated and sarcastic. As Ari says...best to do what makes you happy and realize in the end how ridiculous it is to fork out actual $$$ for pieces of printed paper
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6993 on: January 24, 2015, 12:45:13 AM »

I patiently await for another to come about. If it doesn't.. That's life.

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #6994 on: January 24, 2015, 06:22:34 AM »

I patiently await for another to come about. If it doesn't.. That's life.

Delete "patiently".

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6995 on: January 24, 2015, 09:22:24 AM »

1st... Don't regret the post.

2nd... I called you out.  Either deal with it, fight back, or get smart. No body respects "contrite".  

3rd... I am a nice guy. I don't particularly care to hurt anyone's feeling.  But I stand by the "Hold em fold em" statement and "It's your money."  Sorry it ruffled your feathers.

4th... I am ignorant.  About you.  About your motives.  Why you are collecting.  So I am not sure why what I have to say should have any effect on you.

5th... You are ignorant about me...  If you stick around in the hobby long enough and are not just a flash in the pan collector, you will soon realize what can take years to realize.  99% of the time there will always be another one at some point; 1 year or 10 years... (also Bruce's greatest weapon for a newbie).  Not need to rush if you are in it for the long haul.  That is where I am at in my collecting and where I am coming from.    

6th... This is all about you!  Something else that can take some time, is understanding that the only person you should ever answer to in your collecting is you.  Fuck 'em all, not matter what is said.

7th... Don't quit the forum.  Grow a thicker skin, ask questions and everyone will be glad to help.  I'll be glad to help.  I'll say that I often thought of jumping ship many times when I started participating.  But enduring assholes like me made me a better collector.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:29:51 AM by Charlie »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6996 on: January 24, 2015, 09:25:17 AM »

Mark

It is easy to tell which one is Mark.  He's the guy bidding against you on something you really, really want...and you lose.  ;D

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6997 on: January 24, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »
You buy cool shit! maybe he is super jealous lol  :)

Yeah, thank god he doesn't collect lenticulars... I'd be out of business.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6998 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
Everybody always forgets that when someone pays a high price at an auction, there was at least one other guy right there with him till the end.  What poker player paid is a few dollars more than the other guy's limit.  Irrelevant if Charlie would have dropped out earlier.
-Jay-

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6999 on: January 24, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »
Everybody always forgets that when someone pays a high price at an auction, there was at least one other guy right there with him till the end.  What poker player paid is a few dollars more than the other guy's limit.  Irrelevant if Charlie would have dropped out earlier.

To be honest (even though I was the one to have been labeled a loner psycho), I think poker has been being bid up and needs to change his ID.  I change mine every month or so to avoid the crazies...