Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837420 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6950 on: January 13, 2015, 03:22:57 AM »
I have been looking at these lately. Does anyone know how many printings there were for these? I have seen two types so far. One with the large shadow around Karloff's head like the one linked below and one where the shadow is missing. Are these both first release? What kind of value should these have in good to very good condition based on Bruces grading?

Frankenstein Spanish Herald
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:23:35 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6951 on: January 13, 2015, 07:30:17 AM »
The number of heralds printed is probably very big, as these were given away in the streets or theaters around all Spain.
This one is from the 30s and for a highly sought after title, so there are less around, but they're not extremely rare as other pieces.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6952 on: January 13, 2015, 07:30:50 AM »
I would contact Bruce… I seem to remember him saying that he was getting more and more consignments of counterfeit Uni horror heralds. I can't remember if it was US or Spanish heralds, though.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #6953 on: January 13, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »
I would contact Bruce… I seem to remember him saying that he was getting more and more consignments of counterfeit Uni horror heralds. I can't remember if it was US or Spanish heralds, though.

Thanks Harry that would be good to know for sure. Fake is expensive wrapping paper to me.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #6954 on: January 13, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »
The number of heralds printed is probably very big, as these were given away in the streets or theaters around all Spain.
This one is from the 30s and for a highly sought after title, so there are less around, but they're not extremely rare as other pieces.

Thanks Matias I have been looking at the first release ones and have not come across many from the early Uni stuff that was at decent prices and as you mentioned one like Franky are harder to find. I have found a small mountain of later releases and secondary titles like son of, etc. which in many cases seem to go for very little. Have not seen a Mummy at all yet if there even is one but really did just start looking at the various heralds so would not be surprised if there is one for it.

I did as Harry recommended shoot an email to Bruce asking about the fakes.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6955 on: January 13, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »
These heralds often have pretty nice artwork but they are just so tiny (4.3 x 5.5 inches or so when folded if you're going to display the 'cover' art - which is really the size of standard photograph) to keep my interest...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:53:48 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #6956 on: January 13, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
Bruce responded that it was the US heralds he was seeing fakes coming in not the Spanish.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6957 on: January 13, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
Bruce responded that it was the US heralds he was seeing fakes coming in not the Spanish.

okay, good. I just wanted to be careful…

Mirosae

« Reply #6958 on: January 15, 2015, 04:57:59 AM »
These heralds often have pretty nice artwork but they are just so tiny (4.3 x 5.5 inches)

Uhm.....i am well aware  that size does matter, that said diamonds come in different  sizes  ;) And some Spanish heralds are just gems and more affordable.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6959 on: January 16, 2015, 10:59:49 AM »

Bruce didn't re-join yet?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6960 on: January 16, 2015, 11:53:07 AM »
Bruce didn't re-join yet?

Don't think so...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6961 on: January 22, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »
Several cool, newer one sheets sold at eMovie tonight.  A few of the best ones:

Rolled Blade Runner went for $775: 
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3731936
Congrats, PokerPlayr.

ET spaceship style went for $650: 
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3732056
It looks like this one was Mel's, as it has the paint over the "Coming this Summer to a Theater Near You" text.  (Of course, this may just be another one with paint over that area.)

The Big Lebowski international went for $551:
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3731843

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6962 on: January 22, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
Several cool, newer one sheets sold at eMovie tonight.  A few of the best ones:
ET spaceship style went for $650: 
The Big Lebowski international went for $551:
I'm not sure i get the rolled (or formerly folded) thing.  Aren`t all posters roll-able?  Shouldn't it be a folded vs. unfolded auction?

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6963 on: January 22, 2015, 10:12:06 PM »
I'm not sure i get the rolled (or formerly folded) thing.  Aren`t all posters roll-able?  Shouldn't it be a folded vs. unfolded auction?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:14:38 PM by Neo »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6964 on: January 22, 2015, 11:21:20 PM »
haha yep.
Folded, unfolded, or in some of these cases, folded, then rolled.

Someone buy Bruce a folding machine and make it easier for everyone.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6965 on: January 23, 2015, 08:38:14 AM »

How the hell is that semantics?   Do other dealers sell "formerly folded" posters?  
If sharing insights, and in particular those that might enlighten fellow collectors on dealer lingo/strategies (ie. caveat emptor) ISN'T one of the main purposes of a poster forum, than please feel free to enlighten me.   pcorn

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:53:59 AM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6966 on: January 23, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3731936
Congrats, PokerPlayr.

All I know is that PokerPlayr must not be a very good one...  Because he sure doesn't know when to hold and know when to fold.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6967 on: January 23, 2015, 10:54:42 AM »
All I know is that PokerPlayr must not be a very good one...  Because he sure doesn't know when to hold and know when to fold.

;D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6968 on: January 23, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
As for the rolled, unfolded, folded debate - I believe Bruce uses those terminologies so as to be able to group posters together for shipping purposes
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6969 on: January 23, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »
Bingo.

It sounds like a lot of his consignments are from collectors who store all of their posters flat. I do the same – – rolled posters get stored flat in a flat file and folded posters also get unfolded and stored flat in a flat file.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6970 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »

eh, that's only slightly above market value for a rolled Blade Runner in that condition.  HA sold one in lesser condition than that one for $896 in July.  And Bruce sold one for $626 in April.  IMO, $775 is probably 10%-15% above top end market value for that piece.  But, late 70s early 80s stuff (especially the high-end) has been on an upswing for quite a while.  Personally, I never like buying at the top of an upswing.  But, who is to really say if we are at the top?  Either way, I do not think it was as bad a buy as it might appear on the surface.  And for the record, I am not PokerPlayr............

I have the 40x60, and it is going into a frame within the week!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6971 on: January 23, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
Gotta worry about rolled Blade Runner one sheet restrikes/repros.  That's why the 40x60 is a much safer bet
Chris

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6972 on: January 23, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
Gotta worry about rolled Blade Runner one sheet restrikes/repros.  That's why the 40x60 is a much safer bet

True Chris, though I worry a lot less with Bruce and his staff.  They have handled a lot of 80s posters, are honest, and will take it back for a refund if at any point you decide it is not the real McCoy.  That is not to say that there are not others who are honest, but I think many would price that thing at way above $775 in a retail setting.  Buying one from ebay or other such sources is a crapshoot and to be avoided unless it is just an incredible deal.  But, you are potentially tossing that money down the drain.  Its a risk vs reward game on a lot of those pieces these days.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6973 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »
Bingo.
It sounds like a lot of his consignments are from collectors who store all of their posters flat. I do the same – – rolled posters get stored flat in a flat file and folded posters also get unfolded and stored flat in a flat file.
Once its been (factory) folded though, its a folded poster end of story.  It ought to be in a folded poster auction.  In the grading section, they can talk about how long its been kept rolled and how it affects the poster, that is fine.  But calling them "formerly folded" and tossing them in among the "unfolded" auctions is odd.  its like calling it a Tier 1b rather than Tier 2. 

I'm not knocking The Bruce or EMP I'm one of their biggest fans. I dont mean to play semantics either.  It does lead to having to click around more though (pain in the arse) because its hard to tell from the main auctionpage thumbnail if the poster is an unfolded or formerly folded one.

Perhaps its just a clever way of including more folded posters outside of only "folded poster" auctions. I swear this all make sense in my head and is not semantics for me, although i'm not sure i'm getting it across here.    Doh.gif

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6974 on: January 23, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
To me, having everything grouped for lowest-cost shipments is way more important than having to be careful in reading the condition descriptions.  And besides, when he has "formerly folded" items in a rolled auction they are almost always pre-80s titles that are rarely found rolled. There were some exceptions last night of old posters that escaped the machine fold process – – most notably for me were the 2001 release star child and the man with the golden gun teaser.  There are a handful of studio posters from around that time that can be found rolled with patience, but NSS posters almost never turn up rolled.