Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838054 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6875 on: December 08, 2014, 12:40:59 AM »
If that 2009 buyer is aware...he might be  crying crying crying

;D

there is a lot for poster collectors in general to cry about as concerns values Jeff.
facts are that the poster market - except for the rarities - is in something of a freefall, affected negatively by being a small market & having far too many posters unloaded via low value auctions.
You can't even just point to the older stuff diving anymore either as modern age posters are falling in values also in many areas because of the sheer quantity being pushed out into the market although there is also a considerable effect due to most of the poster biz now taking place by mail order as almost all movie poster stores - or comic book stores that also sold movie posters - evaporating.
The costs of shipping directly affect final values as do other costs, though shipping costs wouldn't have anything to do with expensive material, but the sub-$50 material is being destroyed by the communal affect of the factors.

the more expensive material is being exposed however for the size of the market and how when each buyer gets "their copy" how successive copies follow a downward trajectory as the market decreases with each collection that removes the poster from their personal list.

but it isn't just posters. Comic books and all other hobbies are suffering in the same fashion, though in comic books, the top of the market is bucking the trend.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #6876 on: December 08, 2014, 03:07:04 AM »
steep decline in price. Heritage got $17,925 for a folded copy in 2009
http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/comedy/the-lady-eve-paramount-1941-one-sheet-27-x-41-/a/7008-85542.s

I thought that price was more the exception rather than the "average", if there is such a thing!

Though I suspect you are right re: freefall .
I have noticed that with some Western  posters.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6877 on: December 08, 2014, 03:19:23 AM »
westerns, especially B-westerns, are one of the worst, if not the absolute worst area to have money involved

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6878 on: December 08, 2014, 03:20:13 AM »
More recently, the last copy that emovie sold, in Dec 2012, went for $7100.00

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/4866310.html

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6879 on: December 08, 2014, 03:25:26 AM »
At the very least I have a lifetime supply of Xmas wrapping paper.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6880 on: December 08, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
westerns, especially B-westerns, are one of the worst, if not the absolute worst area to have money involved

All very interesting Rich.  Re westerns - I have a few of Bruce's auction catalogues from back in the early 2000s.  A lot of the Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, etc., sold for ridiculous amounts of money back then, not so much anymore.

I still like some of the spaghetti westerns though which I have mostly in French 1p or Italian 2F. 

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6881 on: December 08, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »
I've just pick a western poster up for £2.35, they are very cheap... ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #6882 on: December 08, 2014, 11:28:53 AM »
The drop can't happen soon enough for me.  Been trying to get some Buck Jones, Hoot Gibson, etc. representation in the collection for years, but won't pay the [old] prices.  Like sci fi too.  I think once they find their level it will be a good time to get in as long as you stick with quality - image, title, and star.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Mirosae

« Reply #6883 on: December 08, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
There is one Buck Jones I wouldn't mind having myself! Great look ;)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6884 on: December 10, 2014, 02:20:15 AM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAD-MAX-BEYOND-THE-THUNDERDOME-VIDEO-POSTER-IN-A-FRAME-APPROX-18-X-28-INCH-/351237832491?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item51c767ff2b&nma=true&si=yNPkREtyVhtBM%252FUxWhzyDiAk86U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome video poster above was apparently a little over-priced.  This one is in pretty good condition, and it sold for £0.99,   

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Film-Poster-Mad-Max-3-Beyond-the-Thunderdome-Mel-Gibson-Tina-Turner-/231409554012?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item35e115925c&nma=true&si=owFqR53TOhNetWVl9ewQHomYm5g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The seller certainly made a good effort on this listing:

Mad Max 3; arguably the best of the trilogy.

The film starred Mel Gibson and a ravishing Tina Turner.

Poster measures 20x30”, it has creases along most edges which I have photographed.

I think they add to the character of the poster, and would be largely unnoticeable in a frame.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6885 on: December 10, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »
The Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome video poster above was apparently a little over-priced.  This one is in pretty good condition, and it sold for £0.99,   

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Film-Poster-Mad-Max-3-Beyond-the-Thunderdome-Mel-Gibson-Tina-Turner-/231409554012?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item35e115925c&nma=true&si=owFqR53TOhNetWVl9ewQHomYm5g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The seller certainly made a good effort on this listing:

Mad Max 3; arguably the best of the trilogy.

The film starred Mel Gibson and a ravishing Tina Turner.

Poster measures 20x30”, it has creases along most edges which I have photographed.

I think they add to the character of the poster, and would be largely unnoticeable in a frame.

Dont people say the same thing about getting crows feet and other facial lines, as we get older??  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6886 on: December 10, 2014, 02:30:17 AM »
arguably the BEST? Ill argue against that, so maybe he is right...?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6889 on: December 11, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
This post doesn't make sense to me at all.

Obviously, it didn't get 'much more than anyone would pay' since at least 2 people were bidding it up.

The other statement I think translates to "a ton more than I would have paid for it" which is your right.  That applies to me for lots of posters, but I don't think poorly about those who value a poster more highly than I do, or who have resources beyond mine.

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6890 on: December 11, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »
Interesting - if they are real they could obviously be restored

Was there text on the borders, or were they just white?

I was mistaken,

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6891 on: December 11, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
There was black and white text on the bottom...Paramount picture etc....the top is the trickier part...the Metropolis title (and background) on top was colored differently from set to set....as is the norm for many late 1920's cards....there are variances in hand tinting and printing...the background color behind the title Metropolis varied...As well as on the decorative left and right border artwork

One under appreciated aspect of authentication is getting to know the back blank paper side of the poster....these are essentially fingerprints of the style of printing and the nature of the paper....the bleed through is a key sign on any questionable Pre 1940's material...in this case the inconsistent red and black bleed is a nice sign
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:50:12 AM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6892 on: December 11, 2014, 10:38:42 AM »

One under appreciated aspect of authentication is getting to know the back blank paper side of the poster....these are essentially fingerprints of the style of printing and the nature of the paper....the bleed through is a key sign on any questionable Pre 1940's material...in this case the inconsistent red and black bleed is a nice sign

Definitely!
Chris

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #6893 on: December 11, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »
Metropolis trimmed lobby cards...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-diff-metropolis-original-movie-lobby-posters-1927-u-s-release-trimmed-read-on-/291308377227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d355148b

I picked up the 5 US Blue Angel lobbies he was selling. Unfortunately at a greater price than the Metropolis cards.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6894 on: December 11, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »
There was black and white text on the bottom...Paramount picture etc....the top is the trickier part...the Metropolis title (and background) on top was colored differently from set to set....as is the norm for many late 1920's cards....there are variances in hand tinting and printing...the background color behind the title Metropolis varied...As well as on the decorative left and right border artwork

Thanks for the info here...figured as much.

I was mistaken,

Mirosae

« Reply #6895 on: December 11, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
I think I'd be happier with the opposite. .i rather find the original top.  With the Metropolis title

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6896 on: December 11, 2014, 11:45:15 AM »
I picked up the 5 US Blue Angel lobbies he was selling. Unfortunately at a greater price than the Metropolis cards.

Nice!  Are you going to have them restored?  Seems like most of the art is intact. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6897 on: December 11, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
Such a shame about the trimming but understandable if the provenance is correct
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6898 on: December 11, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »
FYI... all taken from here: http://www.uow.edu.au/~morgan/Metroja.htm

Pressbook image of lobby set:

An LC with faded color (possibly the same one sold by HA):

An LC with presumably good original color:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6899 on: December 11, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
Certianly looks like the restoration will be far trickier with the large, very colourful borders and title!
Chris