Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837006 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6700 on: November 02, 2014, 11:57:41 PM »
And the re-created bottom credits, compared to an original, are quite a bit off, spacing and font wise, in a number of places, too. Along with this pretty glaring typo:

Good eye Jeff!  That's atrocious...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6701 on: November 03, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »
For sure...

This poster has always intrigued me, for the fact that no where on it is the Universal name nor Carl Laemmle's name. Universal had a distribution arm in France in 1935 (and prior). Look at the French BRIDE OF FRANK 1Ps, for example, also from 1935, or those earlier (Frankenstein, Invisible Man) These all had the Universal and "Carl Laemmle presente" name/ tag line on them.

Yet this poster indicates that the film was distributed by a company called R.A.C. (Realisations D'Art Cinematographique).

Why would this have been? (just wondering out loud here).

And is it possible that this is not a first release poster? Again, just curious as to the possibility.   dontknow.gif

Heritage has this to say about it "Here is a fantastic Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" with magnificent art by one of France's best, Jean Rene Poissonnie, in one of his early posters. Due to the nature of his signature, we believe this to be the early original French release"

Obviously HA didn't actually mention Thierry's French idiosyncrasies
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:02:21 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6702 on: November 03, 2014, 12:06:50 AM »
Heritage has this to say about it "Here is a fantastic Thierry hates "Thierry hates "Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"""" with magnificent art by one of France's best, Jean Rene Poissonnie, in one of his early posters. Due to the nature of his signature, we believe this to be the early original French release"

Obviously HA didn't actually mention Thierry's French idiosyncrasies

Ive read that HA description, too -- but, to me, it still doesnt explain the lack of any Universal or Laemmle reference on the poster. All the others of those years were distributed by Uni in France and bore that info. And why did the French distributor, RAC, handle this one? And even with it being distributed by this company for some reason, the poster should still mention it being a Universal Picture, shouldn't it?

So it has always had me doing a bit of head scratching and  hmmm.gif ( I'm curious like those darn cats, i guess).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:09:53 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #6703 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:46 AM »
And the re-created bottom credits, compared to an original, are quite a bit off, spacing and font wise, in a number of places, too. Along with this pretty glaring typo:

I still think is a good deal, that typo is really easy to fix. You know that poster goes for so much more, and not everyone has that budget . Besides You can always upgrade it if you find the real thing. Complete,  unrestored,  for 3k

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6704 on: November 03, 2014, 04:53:44 AM »
Ive read that HA description, too -- but, to me, it still doesnt explain the lack of any Universal or Laemmle reference on the poster. All the others of those years were distributed by Uni in France and bore that info. And why did the French distributor, RAC, handle this one? And even with it being distributed by this company for some reason, the poster should still mention it being a Universal Picture, shouldn't it?

So it has always had me doing a bit of head scratching and  hmmm.gif ( I'm curious like those darn cats, i guess).

probably first release in France, but also probably not 1935 though it would be pre-war

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6705 on: November 03, 2014, 08:58:29 AM »
I still think is a good deal, that typo is really easy to fix. You know that poster goes for so much more, and not everyone has that budget . Besides You can always upgrade it if you find the real thing. Complete,  unrestored,  for 3k
Are we talking about the "U" in prUduced?  I think its just a faded O, rather than a typo.  The D seems to be fading as well.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:58:57 AM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6706 on: November 03, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
Yeah - looks more like it is fading

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6707 on: November 03, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
The 2 "tails" of the U in the word prUduced look awfully "solid" to me, as well as the shape of the letter, as compared to the second U. Sure, it could be faded, but the tops of the so-called "O" don't fade away. The top of the letter just ends, as one would draw the letter U

Anyhow..it caught my eye and I pointed it out... as it looks like a "U" to ME..  ;)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:37:00 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6708 on: November 03, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »
I still think is a good deal, that typo is really easy to fix. You know that poster goes for so much more, and not everyone has that budget . Besides You can always upgrade it if you find the real thing. Complete,  unrestored,  for 3k

3K? wow... where was this one sold? Do you have a link?

The only ones i found were on HA (linen backed) all sold from between $12.5-17K, and a couple that emovie sold, (also backed) in the early 90's that went for $4400-4600 dollars. But being those were quite a while ago, they may not reflect potential current selling prices.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6709 on: November 03, 2014, 12:30:32 PM »
probably first release in France, but also probably not 1935 though it would be pre-war

Thanks, Rich.

Any thought about why it completely lacks the Universal or Laemmle names (let alone any production credits, like director, etc)?

That's what made me wonder if it could be a later RR.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:30:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #6710 on: November 03, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »
3K? wow... where was this one sold? Do you have a link?

The only ones i found were on HA (linen backed) all sold from between $12.5-17K

Yes...that was my point Jeff. Clearly didn't write it properly.  I was being ironic, I meant for 2.5k you get a heck of a poster. Obviously the real complete thing would be more and perhaps out of reach for that buyer. Im happy for the owner.

I was thinking...like....  Say..i find  a Valentino 3 sheet like the one Bruce sold years ago..with chunks of missing paper...and say i get it for 3k  Frankly my dear, I wouldn't give a damn.   You bet i will be the happiest collector.

Deep pockets may have a better one. I'll grab what i can find and afford.

Thank you for reading.

Hehe

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6711 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
Yes...that was my point Jeff. Clearly didn't write it properly.  I was being ironic, I meant for 2.5k you get a heck of a poster. Obviously the real complete thing would be more and perhaps out of reach for that buyer. Im happy for the owner.

I was thinking...like....  Say..i find  a Valentino 3 sheet like the one Bruce sold years ago..with chunks of missing paper...and say i get it for 3k  Frankly my dear, I wouldn't give a damn.   You bet i will be the happiest collector.

Deep pockets may have a better one. I'll grab what i can find and afford.

Thank you for reading.

Hehe

Gotcha.

sm1

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6712 on: November 03, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »
Thanks, Rich.

Any thought about why it completely lacks the Universal or Laemmle names (let alone any production credits, like director, etc)?

That's what made me wonder if it could be a later RR.

I don't know for sure, so I won't speculate

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6713 on: November 03, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
the FP 3 sheet is a "Poor Man's Poster"

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6714 on: November 04, 2014, 06:36:57 AM »

Depending on where you are living. That's a "Filthy Rich's Poster" down here...  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #6715 on: November 04, 2014, 06:19:45 PM »
OT : Hitler is prolly crying in Hell......his personal copy of Mein Kampf went for only 19k £ , the estimate was 65k  devil 2

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6716 on: November 04, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »

Oh to be that poor.

Re Adolf , ha, take that ya nazi bastard 😃
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6717 on: November 04, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Re Adolf , ha, take that ya nazi bastard 😃

;D ;D
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:58:06 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6719 on: November 08, 2014, 02:56:53 AM »
Don't see them folded as often as rolled I reckon.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #6720 on: November 08, 2014, 03:17:52 AM »
Yeah - looks more like it is fading

Really? Fading is a process that affects large parts of a poster. These kind of 'typo's" surely are a result of some kind of handy work, too much bleach in one spot for example or negligence with restoration.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6721 on: November 08, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »
I think someone on here may have bought that Zombie Quad...

And No, not me.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6722 on: November 09, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »
This nice Chantrell quad for LONG HOT SUMMER (1958), sold for just under $43.00 USD. It was folded, and, according to the seller, this copy had come from Ireland, where the censor opted to paint the young lady's slip or dress black, at the bottom of the piece. But if water based paint was used, that would be an easy fix!  :D

Overall, tho, not a bad price at all, imo. Someone did good!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-long-hot-summer-UK-quad-poster-1958-Paul-Newman-Tom-chantrell-art-/231377516115?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=XEeDEzo5duDXdewcOonT9V6mjWY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:37:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6723 on: November 11, 2014, 10:03:30 PM »
Here's an interesting one that ended on emovie a short time ago. This japanese B2 for the bogart film, The Harder They Fall (1956). It sold tonight for $39.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3655095

Per the description, this poster is glued to another B2, which is the cause fro the rippling and added creases. What possible goodie could lie beneath? Tho it is likely that the folks at emovie put it on a light table to try and see if there was some buried gold back there.  ;)

As a side note, this very same poster sold on HA, back in Aug of 2007, for $239.00 (inc the BP). Nothing like a 200 loss, seven years later. Ouch!  Doh.gif

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/drama/the-harder-they-fall-columbia-1956-japanese-b2-20-x-29-drama/a/57081-26148.s

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:04:36 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6724 on: November 11, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »
$39 seems like a deal to me no mater what condition or what may be under it.  8)

That Me. I just like stuff.  ;)