Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838197 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6600 on: October 11, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
More beanie baby rhetoric...yay!

we all know you're a closet Beanie Baby collector, so I didn't want you to feel left out.
Soon we'll be adding some info about purse collecting, another one of your favorites.
 girly2.gif

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6601 on: October 11, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
That's actually the most compelling point thus far.  I buy it.

T

Yes, but both your studio posters have the proper English title.  If you look at my Gremlins poster they use the English title and there is no Kanji/Katana on the poster -- same as the Aliens.  Don't think that proves anything. Now if they wrote Alien 2 in English on your poster and Aliens on the commercial poster then maybe it would mean something...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6602 on: October 12, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »
Yes, but both your studio posters have the proper English title.  If you look at my Gremlins poster they use the English title and there is no Kanji/Katana on the poster -- same as the Aliens.  Don't think that proves anything. Now if they wrote Alien 2 in English on your poster and Aliens on the commercial poster then maybe it would mean something...

But Gremlins was actually printed in Japan, this Aliens poster was not.
It's not pictured in the back of the program book, so it's not an item that was for sale at the theater like many Japanese pieces, and I asked a couple of other collectors in Japan about it and they were not familiar with it.

Really don't think it's Japanese.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline filip

• Beginner
« Reply #6604 on: October 14, 2014, 12:41:49 AM »
hi, i got a very strange allposter forum email regarding this alien poster i'm supposed to have won in the emovieposter auction :
Hi filip.

the Aliens poster you won on emovie a few nights ago has been discussed here on apf..in the post auction thread.

You might want to take a read...

It seems that this poster is NOT a Japanese B2, as described in the auction, but just a commercial poster of some kind (with similar dimensions). Aliens was released in Japan with the title, Alien 2. Rich H discovered that piece of info out.

I did not bid on it . i've actually never bid on anything at emovieposter  ... may i presume that my name , filip , is so unique that when there's an ID on emovieposter called filip1 , it has to be me ?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6605 on: October 14, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »
hi, i got a very strange allposter forum email regarding this alien poster i'm supposed to have won in the emovieposter auction :
Hi filip.
 the Aliens poster you won on emovie a few nights ago has been discussed here on apf..in the post auction thread.
 It seems that this poster is NOT a Japanese B2, as described in the auction, but just a commercial poster of some kind (with similar dimensions). Aliens was released in Japan with the title, Alien 2. Rich H discovered that piece of info out.

I did not bid on it . i've actually never bid on anything at emovieposter  ... may i presume that my name , filip , is so unique that when there's an ID on emovieposter called filip1 , it has to be me ?

actually Filip, the indications from this thread were that filip1 was you, or so I took it that way.
previously my belief was that you didn't bid there and Bruce considered you a troll, while you of course suggested stamps for his new profession
pardon my mistaking what was being said here

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6606 on: October 14, 2014, 12:54:20 AM »
Hi filip.

Haha it would be funny if it was true from forum posts past.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6607 on: October 14, 2014, 02:37:20 AM »
Exactly what I was thinking...  cheers

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6608 on: October 14, 2014, 08:31:12 AM »
But Gremlins was actually printed in Japan, this Aliens poster was not.
It's not pictured in the back of the program book, so it's not an item that was for sale at the theater like many Japanese pieces, and I asked a couple of other collectors in Japan about it and they were not familiar with it.

Really don't think it's Japanese.

What other countries regularly print in B2 size, though?  Also, it could have been printed in Japan, it simply doesn't state it.  As witnessed by the Gremlins (and some others I have) they definitely printed English language commercial posters in Japan.  Maybe they were intended for the large US military contingent and their families? 

Whether this Aliens poster is one of those is of course still up for debate, but I haven't seen any convincing arguments that it ISN'T Japanese yet. 

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6609 on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
... and Bruce considered you a troll, while you of course suggested stamps for his new profession

Stamps = easy to linenback

step 1: Lick
step 2: Apply

Mirosae

« Reply #6610 on: October 14, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
 laugh1
Stamps = easy to linenback

step 1: Lick
step 2: Apply

laugh1

Ay.....boy. ..i needed that. ..

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6611 on: October 14, 2014, 04:47:27 PM »
but I haven't seen any convincing arguments that it ISN'T Japanese yet. 

that's like saying "we don't know if the dark side of the Moon is cheese because no one has landed there yet."

the real statement should be "I haven't seen any convincing arguments that it IS Japanese yet."

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:24:16 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6613 on: October 14, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »
that's like saying "we don't know if the dark side of the Moon is cheese because no one has landed there yet."

the real statement should be "I haven't seen any convincing arguments that it IS Japanese yet."

No, it's nothing like saying that.  What are you even talking about?   

Lay out the facts we know and the main assumptions and make a list of the top 3 countries this poster was likely printed in -- best educated guesses. I'd be interested in hearing how you arrive at any country besides Japan on that list. 

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #6614 on: October 14, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
A folded, Japanese B1 for The Empire Strikes Back

Won/sold for $400.00

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574860769&toolid=10001&campid=5337388159&customid=&icep_item=271627649967&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

That is a strong price for that poster. Normally the rolled ESB advances sell in that range. Then again they do not show up often, less even than the Ohrai version that I am still looking for.

The seller I have spoken to before on E-Bay has a lot of nice pieces but is on the high end of pricing in my opinion. Quick response to questions though.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6615 on: October 14, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
No, it's nothing like saying that.  What are you even talking about?   

Lay out the facts we know and the main assumptions and make a list of the top 3 countries this poster was likely printed in -- best educated guesses. I'd be interested in hearing how you arrive at any country besides Japan on that list. 

?????
Really??
why because it's the same size as a B0??
are you kidding?
I have Pulp Fiction reprints that are exactly the same size as originals, does that make them real?

There is absolutely nothing on that poster that would indicate it was printed in Japan. There is nothing there to indicate it is a theatrical poster
I'll be $20 if you go to Wal Mart, K-Mart, Target and some other stores, you can find commercial posters in that size and others sizes as well.

The job is not to show why it can't be a Japanese poster but to show how it can be a Japanese poster

you've already heard from Sean.. He doesn't believe it's a Japanese poster. His Japanese friends don't believe it's a Japanese poster. It doesn't show up in Japanese programs.
There is no evidence at all to conclude it is a theatrical Japanese movie poster. at least none that I or Sean can see
Has anyone asked Armin?

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6616 on: October 14, 2014, 10:04:08 PM »
I asked Armin but he was already married.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6617 on: October 14, 2014, 11:10:55 PM »
Way to totally distort what I posted.  I NEVER said it was a theatrical poster and I'm not trying to argue that it is.  In my very first post on the subject I said it was likely a Japanese commercial poster.  I wouldn't expect Japanese theatrical poster collectors to know much or care about a commercial print.  Nor would I expect for it to show up in any studio literature or press materials.

Given that it is exactly B2 size I personally believe it has a higher chance of having been printed in Japan than anywhere else.  If we knew more about who and how it was consigned I think that would be useful. 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6618 on: October 15, 2014, 12:38:49 AM »
again, there is no data or information to posit the item is Japanese, but more to the point, the item was sold as a theatrical teaser.
Considering Sean's expertise in this area, I would go with what he says (after all, he did have 1-2 stores in Japan for a while. Did you know that he can read and speak Japanese also? I was surprised when I found out, when he read something off a folded poster at the warehouse. My back was turned at the moment at my desk. I slowly turned my head and with a surprised look asked "You can read that!?!")
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:43:17 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6619 on: October 15, 2014, 02:31:26 AM »
again, there is no data or information to posit the item is Japanese, but more to the point, the item was sold as a theatrical teaser.

And I was one of the first to question the description -- I said that it looked similar to other commercial Japanese posters I'd seen.  If you really think other countries were pumping out B2-sized commercial posters then I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #6621 on: October 15, 2014, 03:24:18 AM »
Here are my two cents on the poster:

1. It's no Japanese cinema poster. Neither a teaser, nor a regular poster. For such a huge release it could not be displayed without an Eirin mark. Also, a teaser for Japan makes no sense at all without a title in Japanese.
2. The size indicates it was probably used in Japan, Taiwan or South Korea.
3. It could be a commercial poster used in Japan. Possibly as a give-away to cinemagoers (such as the double-sided GREMLINS poster that was posted here) or maybe it was a premium for the soundtrack release or something similar (LD, VHS, toy tie-ins etc.)

Armin

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6622 on: October 15, 2014, 07:21:48 AM »
I asked Armin but he was already married.

I thought germans were more open minded...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6623 on: October 15, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »
I thought germans were more open minded...

That's only the West Germans
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6624 on: October 15, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
 ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo