Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837860 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6575 on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »
rare by what standard T?
rare in auction listings maybe? Who says this poster wasn't sold by the millions at Wal Mart and aren't sitting in people's closets just waiting to come back out if they aren't thrown out first?

just because we don't see them being sold every day doesn't mean they're rare

If they are not for sale then yes it is rarity in the market.  The market does not factor in unknown quantities of hypothetical posters (even if they do ultimately exist).

It's like denying a Bride of Frankenstein teaser one sheet is rare because only has been listed for sale recently and "there could be a stash of 50 behind someone's walls"...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:49:30 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6576 on: October 10, 2014, 10:50:54 PM »
I can't say without actually seeing the poster in hand.  It's not attractive to me, and it looks like art from disparate posters slapped together on this thing.  I do agree, though, that my first choice is that it's NOT theatrical.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6577 on: October 10, 2014, 11:00:13 PM »
Yet the question remains.. as Rich pointed out:

What proof or evidence is there that this is a Japanese B2 poster in the first place? (dimensions aside). It looks like a commercial poster that could have been handed out at Carls Jr or Wendy's, for some cross promotional tie-in.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6578 on: October 10, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »

What proof or evidence is there that this is a Japanese B2 poster in the first place? (dimensions aside). It looks like a commercial poster that could have been handed out at Carls Jr or Wendy's, for some cross promotional tie-in.

I obviously had no clue what I was buying, but maybe Filip did.  Isn't he a member here?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6579 on: October 10, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »
I looked at the original posting but couldn't tell anything from that picture.  I agree that other than the dimensions, there's nothing to indicate it's Japanese.  What would help is actually having the poster in hand to get a feel for the paper.  Call me crazy, but even the smell of the paper and the ink too would help figure out if it's Japanese or elsewhere.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6580 on: October 10, 2014, 11:14:04 PM »
I looked at the original posting but couldn't tell anything from that picture.  I agree that other than the dimensions, there's nothing to indicate it's Japanese.  What would help is actually having the poster in hand to get a feel for the paper.  Call me crazy, but even the smell of the paper and the ink too would help figure out if it's Japanese or elsewhere.

Freak!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6581 on: October 10, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »
If they are not for sale then yes it is rarity in the market.  The market does not factor in unknown quantities of hypothetical posters (even if they do ultimately exist).

It's like denying a Bride of Frankenstein teaser one sheet is rare because only has been listed for sale recently and "there could be a stash of 50 behind someone's walls"...

not the meaning Chris.. the meaning is: just because WE have not seen it does not make it some rare poster. If it was sold in the millions at Wal Mart (I mean the real Wal Mart) would anyone here have noticed?

I do guarantee that now, everyone who goes a flea market this week will notice it now. I showed it to Sean.. he has no idea why anyone thinks it's Japanese either.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6582 on: October 10, 2014, 11:23:47 PM »

Presumably it was sent to Bruce in a lot of Japanese B2s and it does share the same measurements.  I myself bought a theater lot of Japanese B2s (some of which will soon be for sale!) and in it were several posters like this Aliens poster.  One is a Gremlins poster, which T does not know yet but I'll be donating it to him.  Anyway, the few that I have are usually very close to B2 in size, but sometimes of a bit larger than the regular B2 size variations.  Some are double sided as well -- with a different image on the back.  They have no EIRIN mark and no fine print other than a copyright and "all rights reserved" language (printed in english).  Interestingly enough, despite appearing to be commercially printed they did get used in theaters on occasion -- possibly just to supplement the official paper.  At least they did in the theater I got my posters from -- they were in the stacks right along side the regular B2 posters.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6583 on: October 10, 2014, 11:25:02 PM »
Freak!

I said CALL ME CRAZY not CALL ME FREAK.  Learn to speak the language you little fucker.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6584 on: October 10, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »
Presumably it was sent to Bruce in a lot of Japanese B2s and it does share the same measurements.  I myself bought a theater lot of Japanese B2s (some of which will soon be for sale!) and in it were several posters like this Aliens poster.  One is a Gremlins poster, which T does not know yet but I'll be donating it to him.  Anyway, the few that I have are usually very close to B2 in size, but sometimes of a bit larger than the regular B2 size variations.  Some are double sided as well -- with a different image on the back.  They have no EIRIN mark and no fine print other than a copyright and "all rights reserved" language (printed in english).  Interestingly enough, despite appearing to be commercially printed they did get used in theaters on occasion -- possibly just to supplement the official paper.  At least they did in the theater I got my posters from -- they were in the stacks right along side the regular B2 posters.

B2's are close to double crown size, so someone might want to take an exact measurement. Bruce does not measure each poster, and he may have assume it was b2 for the reasons Mr. Caul noted with it being in a lot of b2's. Could actually be something else.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6585 on: October 10, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »
not the meaning Chris.. the meaning is: just because WE have not seen it does not make it some rare poster. If it was sold in the millions at Wal Mart (I mean the real Wal Mart) would anyone here have noticed?

I do guarantee that now, everyone who goes a flea market this week will notice it now. I showed it to Sean.. he has no idea why anyone thinks it's Japanese either.

Ah ah ah!!!  I love this forum.  You guys are making me feel so much better about NOT getting it.  I feel sorry for Filip, though, although maybe he knows something I don't.  

Do you guys really think Bruce could make a mistake like this?
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6586 on: October 10, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »
One is a Gremlins poster, which T does not know yet but I'll be donating it to him. 

ME!!!
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6587 on: October 10, 2014, 11:35:48 PM »
I don't know anyone who doesn't make mistakes, except myself of course.
however, considering that some advertising earlier this week indicated that all other dealers mis-describe material but they don't (and this was part of a discussion on MoPo this week)  makes this poster sale a pretty good bookend to that particular conversation

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6588 on: October 10, 2014, 11:37:43 PM »
Ah ah ah!!!  I love this forum.  You guys are making me feel so much better about NOT getting it.  I feel sorry for Filip, though, although maybe he knows something I don't.  

Do you guys really think Bruce could make a mistake like this?

Yes, he has before. It's not an aspersion at all.  I know from my own personal experience, though, that b2's are precise in their measurements.  You can stack 100 and the edges will line up perfectly.  So, if a stack comes in, but on in the stack is off by a few mm, and it only takes a few to go from b2 to double crown, it would be easy to miss it unless they are all lined up perfectly.  

This is all guesswork until someone actually measures it.  And, knowing bruce, he will refund for any reason even if Filip changed his mind after reading all this.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6589 on: October 10, 2014, 11:45:50 PM »
I just found my Gremlins photos... this one was definitely printed in Japan.  And again, even though it arrived to me in a stack of theater used posters, I still feel like it's something that was commercially printed.  It doesn't surprise me really -- if most of the printers there are equipped to pump out B2 sized posters, it only makes sense that their commercial Wal-Mart/dorm room prints are the same size. 

Gremlins commercial B2?

Fine print detail

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6590 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »
oh it wouldn't surprise me one bit that the same poster printers print theatrical and commercial posters for different clients
that's the nature of the printing business

but still, that Gremlins poster does have Japan info on it. the Aliens poster has no such text. That doesn't mean it may not be Japanese, or if it's a poster only for the Japanese market, that it may not have been printed here and shipped there.

I certainly can't find how I could consider it a Japanese teaser poster and if someone submitted it to me as such, I would have sought more "expert testimony" so to speak, so I could know that I am really selling what I say I'm selling

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6591 on: October 10, 2014, 11:50:47 PM »
I just found my Gremlins photos... this one was definitely printed in Japan.  And again, even though it arrived to me in a stack of theater used posters, I still feel like it's something that was commercially printed.  It doesn't surprise me really -- if most of the printers there are equipped to pump out B2 sized posters, it only makes sense that their commercial Wal-Mart/dorm room prints are the same size. 

Gremlins commercial B2?

Fine print detail

100% commercial.  Fun though.
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6592 on: October 10, 2014, 11:58:46 PM »
It almost screams "Spencer's Gifts!"

;D

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6593 on: October 11, 2014, 12:12:58 AM »
there is nothing wrong with commercial posters. Saying they suck wouldn't be any different than beanie babies collectors saying movie posters suck or baseball collectors saying comics suck. It's all the same. If we didn't collect commercial posters, then most of the "art prints" that are being collected (the non-Alamo posters that are not for theatrical showings) suck. I wouldn't agree with that.

the best commercial posters are the Endless Summer 30x40, barbarella & Raquel posters (to us at least) and I am certain I have at least a few commercial posters in my movie poster collections

but that isn't the debate of course. the debate is it's a commercial poster, not a theatrical one"

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6594 on: October 11, 2014, 01:42:30 AM »
newsflash: Aliens was released as Alien2 in Japan

poster isn't Japanese

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6595 on: October 11, 2014, 02:23:34 AM »
Smarty pants.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6596 on: October 11, 2014, 02:45:17 AM »
Smarty pants.

smarter than your pants!

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6597 on: October 11, 2014, 07:32:54 AM »
My pants are too big
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6598 on: October 11, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
newsflash: Aliens was released as Alien2 in Japan

poster isn't Japanese

That's actually the most compelling point thus far.  I buy it.

T
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:33:48 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6599 on: October 11, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »
More beanie baby rhetoric...yay!
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,