Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837590 times)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6350 on: July 04, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »
No offense to the buyer, but I am surprised this Lucky Strikes sold for as much as it did, given the condition.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3482555

Sunlight fading is hard to overlook, and I suspect hard to correct if it were restored.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6351 on: July 04, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »
Yeah - can fading be corrected??

I always thought, no matter the condition of the poster, restoration would fix all - apart from fading.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6352 on: July 04, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
Yeah - can fading be corrected??

I always thought, no matter the condition of the poster, restoration would fix all - apart from fading.

Fading can only be corrected by painting or colouring over the affected areas
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #6353 on: July 04, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
Thanks for posting this JP.  I was keeping an eye on this one. I  was surprised that has gone for that much too. I love this poster. Good catch.  I will leave it as it is. Or buy a better one!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6354 on: July 04, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »

I wonder if the technique of re-touching a faded photographic poster is any different? Unless very light and thinned out color, using an airbrush, might be used?

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6355 on: July 04, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »

I wonder if the technique of re-touching a faded photographic poster is any different? Unless very light and thinned out color, using an airbrush, might be used?

I am not sure Jeff but I suspect it would look terrible however it would be done...
Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6356 on: July 04, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »

Yup - which means that if the entire pster is faded, the entire poster will be painted over leaving nothing more than the original paper as proof of originiality.

One may as well just 'paint' a brand new poster.

Hmm.  Fading is for me, the worst offender of a poster's worth.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6357 on: July 04, 2014, 03:23:25 PM »
I am not sure Jeff but I suspect it would look terrible however it would be done...

I would think it would look not great either too, Chris. Any kind of applied color could cover over or obscure fine details captured in the photograph.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6358 on: July 04, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this JP.  I was keeping an eye on this one. I  was surprised that has gone for that much too. I love this poster. Good catch.  I will leave it as it is. Or buy a better one!

uh-hum.. I believe you already did young lady
 ;)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #6359 on: July 04, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »
uh-hum.. I believe you already did young lady
 ;)

I did indeed Rich :D

I have to say that your ex (poster) was in superb condition, no wrinkles or fading for sure :)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6361 on: July 09, 2014, 02:35:02 AM »
I did indeed Rich :D

I have to say that your ex (poster) was in superb condition, no wrinkles or fading for sure :)

and no plastic surgery either
 thumbsup.gif

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6363 on: July 09, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
There's still one or two things to get in there, Paul  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6364 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
Speaking of Universal Horror deals...whoever scored these made out like a bandit .. :o :o :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABBOTT-amp-COSTELLO-MEET-FRANKENSTEIN-LOBBY-CARD-/351110081755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bfcaacdb&nma=true&si=WuWx%252BQF3HtcnNSKhVqF07CA7vGI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Whats even more interesting is the second listing that sold for $200.00 and was described as a lobby card. I checked on HA, and they have sold full 8 card sets and this image is not one of them. Plus the size looks too square to me. The artwork on this is the same, basically, as that on the insert. I'm thinking that this is more likely a window card with the top imprint area trimmed off. Neither HA nor emovie has sold a WC from this film, so I couldn't compare directly.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6366 on: July 09, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
Thanks Charlie... i must have looked right past that...  cheers

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6368 on: July 09, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
WOW! Was that a quick turnaround!

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6369 on: July 09, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
And that my friend is the #2 eBay account handle of Ken Schacter....his normal account is curlykong....and if you remember during the whole Metropolis court case documentation...he had assets that were swinging in and out of his daughter's "investment portfolio"...curlysgirly almost certainly has something to do with her and his "investing"...btw I have been doing business with Ken for over a decade and he has always been great to me...so I have no complaints
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6370 on: July 09, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
When i saw the seller's ID on this, and the location in Valencia, CA, i wondered if that might be Ken (or associated with him), too.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #6371 on: July 11, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
No offense to the buyer, but I am surprised this Lucky Strikes sold for as much as it did, given the condition.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3482555

Sunlight fading is hard to overlook, and I suspect hard to correct if it were restored.

I'm actually surprised. ..or maybe not...at how much the Lucky Strike poster is currently going on  at certain auction..and bids keep coming in. So it could go for a good price. So the "value" of this  poster is still holding on..or so it seems. .!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6372 on: July 11, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
I'm actually surprised. ..or maybe not...at how much the Lucky Strike poster is currently going on  at certain auction..and bids keep coming in. So it could go for a good price. So the "value" of this  poster is still holding on..or so it seems. .!

I will never understand the attraction to this poster.  Sure, it's nice, but $1k for a damaged poster like this one is beyond ridiculous, imo.  Wherever he may be, Bruce is laughing.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6373 on: July 12, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
I will never understand the attraction to this poster.  Sure, it's nice, but $1k for a damaged poster like this one is beyond ridiculous, imo.  Wherever he may be, Bruce is laughing.

T

I don't know why there is such an appeal, but there is a perceived rarity and it is one of the most lauded movies from the past 20 years. Tarantino has a pretty big fan base among collectors of recent posters.

What I cannot figure out is why so much for a poster with that kind of damage?  I mean if it was a poster where there is a true scarcity of copies that pop up.  For example, it might be a while before another Cocteau Beauty and the Beast pops up again or fill in the blank. I totally get that.

However, there has to be 100s of that Pulp Fiction poster floating around maybe 1000s of copies.  If I have my hands on one, it can't be that rare.

Good luck to the buyer. I hope they enjoy it. It will also be interesting to see where the Heritage copy goes.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6374 on: July 12, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
I would say low 100s (maybe even less than 100) for the advance and high 1000s for the reg.  Just the fact that it pops up every single week on Bruce's auctions should tell you how common it is.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)