Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838247 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5775 on: February 14, 2014, 12:42:23 AM »
Um... where you trying to be sly with that plug for yourself, Dave?  Just wondering....

:o

Do things like this ever happen on APF?
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5776 on: February 14, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »
You do know that the buyer, Mark, is a member here, right?  Why openly ridicule your customers?

There you go, Mark...Bruce welcomes your irrational spending any time.

I think the  laugh1 was more for Dave's benefit..., all tongue in cheek of course
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5777 on: February 14, 2014, 12:44:59 AM »
One of those three collectors (Mark, Thierry, Holiday) will insist on being buried with his posters and they will be dug up 2,000 years later like the Terracotta Army:

That's funny!  I have the sense it will be Thierry.  I've actually sold a poster here and there.  Who knows about Mark. He's like ether....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5778 on: February 14, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »
Do things like this ever happen on APF?

Nah, that's why I had to ask?  I was shocked!   mesmrized
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #5779 on: February 14, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
I've actually sold a poster here and there.  

Does Thierry know his forum partner is a dealer?

Your posts will be moderated for admitting to that... ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:58:44 AM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5780 on: February 14, 2014, 04:08:02 AM »
there's only ONE dealer in the world,  moron1
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #5781 on: February 14, 2014, 04:15:53 AM »
there's only ONE dealer in the world,  moron1

This is true, for HE has written "You shall have no other dealer before ME...you shall not buy from or bid against others to win from them or I, the poster LORD will smite your scrawny ass..." something like that? Verily I say unto you, I may have paraphrased...just a little.
David

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #5782 on: February 14, 2014, 05:48:48 AM »
"Um... where you trying to be sly with that plug for yourself, Dave?  Just wondering..."

Nope. I'm sure almost everyone who matters already knows about our current auctions.

Charlie

« Reply #5783 on: February 14, 2014, 07:13:31 AM »
The BAT helps... I missed all the other ones.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:13:45 AM by Charlie »

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5784 on: February 14, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »
"Um... where you trying to be sly with that plug for yourself, Dave?  Just wondering..."

Nope. I'm sure almost everyone who matters already knows about our current auctions.

Dave, everyone here needs to take lessons from you as to your fine ability to hack it.  I've never seen you lose your cool once in the 14 years I've been around.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5785 on: February 14, 2014, 02:26:14 PM »
I'm a bit baffled by the posts about the Twiggy posters. Bruce had one at auction a couple of years ago which I won for $278 - I loved the iconic image of this beauty, the style of the poster, the high quality printing ...and the fact that it appeared to be exceedingly rare. It was probably a very costly item to purchase at the time of the film's release and I imagine few were distributed. I was amazed to see two further variations and was determined to win them to create a set.

I think people get too sensitive over postings.  My poster purchasing decisions are no more irrational than those of any other collector acquiring items, with no intrinsic value, for cash. The ease and speed by which disposable income can be created is an important variable which some people tend to overlook.

I took zero offence at Bruce’s comment. It will be many years (touch wood) before I consider selling my collection although I would love to “right-size” it – to use Mel’s expression – in the near future. It seems to have acquired a mythical status which is out of all proportion to reality.

Mark

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5786 on: February 14, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
I'm a bit baffled by the posts about the Twiggy posters. Bruce had one at auction a couple of years ago which I won for $278 - I loved the iconic image of this beauty, the style of the poster, the high quality printing ...and the fact that it appeared to be exceedingly rare. It was probably a very costly item to purchase at the time of the film's release and I imagine few were distributed. I was amazed to see two further variations and was determined to win them to create a set.

I think people get too sensitive over postings.  My poster purchasing decisions are no more irrational than those of any other collector acquiring items, with no intrinsic value, for cash. The ease and speed by which disposable income can be created is an important variable which some people tend to overlook.

I took zero offence at Bruce’s comment. It will be many years (touch wood) before I consider selling my collection although I would love to “right-size” it – to use Mel’s expression – in the near future. It seems to have acquired a mythical status which is out of all proportion to reality.

Mark

very well said

to heck with the Poster Police

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5787 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »

Mark

Nice try, but your collection deserves its mythical status, Mark.  While Twiggy Posters are not my thing, I know exactly what you are saying because I have a lot in my collection that fit the bill -- no intrinsic value yet i paid a fortune to get them for what, to me, was iconic art.

I've said it before and I will say it again, posters should not be an investment vehicle.  I pay what I am comfortable paying to get what I want to add to my collection.  Value, either at the present or increasing over time, is an added bonus, but by no means is it a consideration when I am buying.

Mark gets that perhaps more perfectly than any of us.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5788 on: February 14, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
I've said it before and I will say it again, posters should not be an investment vehicle.  I pay what I am comfortable paying to get what I want to add to my collection.  Value, either at the present or increasing over time, is an added bonus, but by no means is it a consideration when I am buying.

100%

if you're investing in collectibles, even I advise against that

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5789 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
My poster purchasing decisions are no more irrational than those of any other collector acquiring items, with no intrinsic value, for cash.

Mark if you read the posts that followed, not sure you would hold onto my choice word of 'irrational' which I summarized via Bruce's post which I took as initially mocking your spending choice.
He clarified his post and I responded via apology, so no worries.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5790 on: February 14, 2014, 10:44:02 PM »
Mark if you read the posts that followed, not sure you would hold onto my choice word of 'irrational' which I summarized via Bruce's post which I took as initially mocking your spending choice.
He clarified his post and I responded via apology, so no worries.

The only time I've ever seen Bruce mock one of his customers was when he was laughing and wondering how a Train Robbers insert sold for $316 last year.
Certainly didn't take his latest comment that way.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5791 on: February 14, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
Mark,

Is any of your collection displayed online anywhere? Would be great to take a peek, if it was!

;D

Jeff

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5792 on: February 14, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »
The only time I've ever seen Bruce mock one of his customers was when he was laughing and wondering how a Train Robbers insert sold for $316 last year.

I've seen lots of comments from dealers over the years ridiculing or laughing at the price someone gave him for something

then the same people would & do trumpet how they get some incredible price, often citing the price they laughed at their customer about

I could never understand this philosophy/behavior and always felt it was just a window into the person.

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5793 on: February 15, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »

K.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5794 on: February 15, 2014, 03:24:28 AM »

I could never understand this philosophy/behavior and always felt it was just a window into the person.

WOW!  :o

laugh1

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-cJmpwkUx4s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-cJmpwkUx4s</a>

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5795 on: February 16, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
This trimmed WC for Chaplin's The Circus (1928), sold yesterday for $142.50. While in need of a bit of re-creation and restoration, a good amount of the card it there, including all of Chaplin's face. I think someone did pretty OK on this purchase here, especially since hi res scans are available of the complete card (as is the example on the right, courtesy of HA), in order to complete the work, if wanted.   thumbup

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-THE-CIRCUS-CHARLIE-CHAPLIN-WINDOW-CARD-POSTER-/201035176178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecea158f2&nma=true&si=4cIrX7uWhPHg0Ik6a7W2EwDrQxI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5796 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »
it can probably be restored to look okay..

I have a Wings wc that is about 75% there and a few other such items that I keep in a drawer until I find another piece to match, if it happens

my favorite is a Thief of Bagdad wc that is not for the movie but rather for the photoplay edition. It has the Willy Pogany art for the book on the card, but about 30% of the card is missing and darn if I don't have a photo on file
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:27:14 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #5797 on: February 16, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
Yes, it is a beautiful WC!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5798 on: February 16, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »
It is..  and it looks like the bottom piece was literally torn off.  :'(

All in all though, given to the right restorer (and unless another was found in order to salvage the missing areas, as Rich mentioned), i think the drawn clowns and animals, redone from a scan would come out looking pretty dandy. And no major credits to deal with, aside from a bit on the word, "Picture" at the bottom, and printer's info on the border. The colors are certainly still vibrant, so that's a real plus, too.

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5799 on: February 16, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »

A relative bargain for this C7 Breakfast:

If you want blood, you got it (but not cheap):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6EWqTym2cQU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6EWqTym2cQU</a>