Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837153 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5650 on: December 19, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
That is really good of you and your team Bruce, but I've had many offers on posters I've won myself in the past, and never sold any on.

I'm guessing the buyer will be in the same frame of mind. I do hope it was a U.K. fellow who won it though.

I'll await the next Gem to be uncovered, as I'm back on the poster hunt.. :D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5651 on: December 19, 2013, 04:49:33 PM »
I am kicking myself in the ass for not bidding more on it. Well maybe one day another will turn up and I can outbid you on it Paul lol ;D

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5652 on: December 19, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5653 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
I think bpoett overpaid on this poster by $291.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3225504

I consider the $40 I spent on the Swedish version one of my worst( I have many worst) buys ever... So yeah I agree.

Ya live. Ya learn.   8)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5654 on: December 19, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3225504

So, so true.

Aside for a few exceptions (like Matrix and Gravity at $50 when you can get it all over Ebay for $5) it looks like prices are generally coming down, which is a great thing for buyers.  Bidders are finally realizing that if they don't get something, they'll get it a couple weeks later, or 2 weeks after that.  It will be interesting to see if sellers keep sending their modern stuff to Bruce when they realize the golden goose has died.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5655 on: December 19, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
It will be interesting to see if sellers keep sending their modern stuff to Bruce when they realize the golden goose has died.

The goose is dead? ...and I never got a chance to sell a single poster.  :(

Bruce

« Reply #5656 on: December 19, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
Why don't you guys just post what each poster "should" sell for and then those can become the official prices, and no one will ever pay more or less?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5657 on: December 19, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Why don't you guys just post what each poster "should" sell for and then those can become the official prices, and no one will ever pay more or less?

;D

I like it!!!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5658 on: December 19, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »

I better be seeing PPP (Poster Price Police) badges first!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5659 on: December 19, 2013, 10:17:58 PM »

I heard the consignor of this poster will be "reinvesting" his proceeds into certain three sheets which you better stay away from, if you know what's good for you....

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5660 on: December 19, 2013, 10:34:16 PM »
I heard the consignor of this poster will be "reinvesting" his proceeds into certain three sheets which you better stay away from, if you know what's good for you....

I laid claim to 3sh and 6sh years ago, so...sorry Mel, you get sloppy seconds.  8)

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5661 on: December 19, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »

Bidders are finally realizing that if they don't get something, they'll get it a couple weeks later, or 2 weeks after that. 

Also that modern posters are a dime a dozen, and for the most part, can be found just about anywhere.

I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #5662 on: December 19, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »
Also that modern posters are a dime a dozen, and for the most part, can be found just about anywhere.

Please send me five each of the Matrix "Lightning" and the LA Confidential black cloak style.

Then tell me what is the "right" price for each!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5663 on: December 19, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »
Please send me five each of the Matrix "Lightning" and the LA Confidential black cloak style.

Then tell me what is the "right" price for each!

If I send you five of each, the price will most assuredly go down.  ;)

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5664 on: December 19, 2013, 11:44:29 PM »
Hey Bruce, when is the next Pulp Fiction going up?  I'm dying to get one.  Better yet, the ESB GWTW is so rare, I bet you've never seen one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5665 on: December 20, 2013, 02:45:39 AM »
Aside for a few exceptions (like Matrix and Gravity at $50 when you can get it all over Ebay for $5) it looks like prices are generally coming down, which is a great thing for buyers.  Bidders are finally realizing that if they don't get something, they'll get it a couple weeks later, or 2 weeks after that.  It will be interesting to see if sellers keep sending their modern stuff to Bruce when they realize the golden goose has died.

T
sometimes people kill the Golden Goose without any consideration other than "how can I make my money fastest, regardless of the goose market's ability to feed enough geese to the people who eat them"

food for thought buddy.. food for thought

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5666 on: December 20, 2013, 03:08:20 AM »
T
sometimes people kill the Golden Goose without any consideration other than "how can I make my money fastest, regardless of the goose market's ability to feed enough geese to the people who eat them"

food for thought buddy.. food for thought

That's funny, Rich, I had the exact same conversation with my financial adviser today.  No kidding.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5667 on: December 20, 2013, 03:24:45 AM »
That's funny, Rich, I had the exact same conversation with my financial adviser today.  No kidding.

T

it works the same in posters and probably more so because of the small size of the hobby and the large supply of posters in some areas

some dealers just don't give a damn about how other dealers feel when the prices of some posters are ruined because they sell them faster than the market can honestly absorb them. They ride a price down from $150 to $25.

This also exemplifies how such dealers don't care about how a customer feels when he pays you $150 for an item that you then destroy the price of in your search for personal profits

If I found a bundle of 50 Superman #1s tomorrow, I'd sell one next month. I wouldn't sell another until next year. I wouldn't sell another until the next year after that. At my age, the bundle of 50 would outlive my timeline to sell them.

If I really cared "about the hobby" then I would consider these things.
I didn't care, then it would show in my actions.
I care
everyone doesn't
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:28:51 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5668 on: December 20, 2013, 03:58:25 AM »
 sm1
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5669 on: December 20, 2013, 05:22:38 AM »
Yeah, that makes sense for very recent auction wins.  How about "make an offer" on posters that were sold in the past? Is that worth the time and trouble?  I know Heritage offers that service but unclear how successful.

I have tried to make use of it, but have been resolutely ignored by the end owners.

..as I would expect to be, I suppose.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5670 on: December 20, 2013, 05:34:33 AM »
I can say that I have actually profited from the Heritage "Make Offer to Owner" and I know I'm not the only one.

by unique circumstance, the item I "resold" had never been bought as a keeper and I was ready to sell it at the time I was offered an outstanding profit.

-------

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #5671 on: December 20, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
With regards to poster 'dumping' I'm with Rich on the slow and steady vs. saturate the market approach, but the one thing I really wish people unloading large stashes would do is sell the best condition copies first, then work your way to the crap.  At least that way if you're the early sucker you've got the best copy.  There's nothing more annoying than to find out that not only are the first chump, but you've also got the crappiest copy.  It also helps to cover the price decline.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5672 on: December 20, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »
the one thing I really wish people unloading large stashes would do is sell the best condition copies first, then work your way to the crap.  At least that way if you're the early sucker you've got the best copy.  There's nothing more annoying than to find out that not only are the first chump, but you've also got the crappiest copy.  It also helps to cover the price decline.

--Peter

This drives me crazy too and happens a lot
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #5673 on: December 20, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
This drives me crazy too and happens a lot

When we get several at once from one person, we auction them in order from best condition to least. But when we get several from different people, we always auction them in the order received.

All this is why you need to keep your head when bidding on a poster that likely will turn up again.

One thing I don't get. People send me the posters to auction. If they are not happy with the results, they will stop sending them, so this will surely "self-correct". If it means some people get good (or great) deals temporarily, why is that so terrible, especially since YOU have just as much chance of getting those as anyone else?

When people sell items for cheap prices on eBay or low traffic auction sites, do you also complain about those?

Mirosae

« Reply #5674 on: December 20, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »
With regards to poster 'dumping' I'm with Rich on the slow and steady vs. saturate the market approach, but the one thing I really wish people unloading large stashes would do is sell the best condition copies first, then work your way to the crap.  At least that way if you're the early sucker you've got the best copy.  There's nothing more annoying than to find out that not only are the first chump, but you've also got the crappiest copy.  It also helps to cover the price decline.

--Peter

I agree with you 100%. Though i think this applies to new as well as some vintage posters which for some reason are all over the place