Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2836973 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5625 on: December 14, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »
I still curse the day I selected "eMoviePoster", because there are tons of people (apparently including you) who think we auction nothing BUT movie posters!

Yes, now even choppedliver.com is taken

You two are geezers.  Were these sold to the public back in the day or just to travel agents?

Mel, you've been going after the larger 3 sheets I collect... don't be now going into travel posters too... ;) These are some TWA's I have:  1 2

Bruce

« Reply #5626 on: December 14, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
Were these sold to the public back in the day or just to travel agents?

They were like window cards. They were sent only to travel agents (to display in their offices) but then (like window cards, and not like one-sheets) the travel agents could throw them out or keep them. So most of the known ones were kept by travel agents (sometimes clients would ask the agent for one as a souvenir of their trip), and there have been a few "warehouse finds" of printer overruns, just like in movie posters.

David Klein did limited edition recreations in the 2000s. To me, the nicest ones from the 1950s on were the SAS (Scandinavian Air Lines) ones, and there were three or four versions of most of the U.S. airline ones (as the planes evolved to better planes and then jets).

The ones from the 1920s to 1940s are like movie posters of the same eras. Super-rare and often much better artwork than the ones from the 1950s and 1960s. And like the movie posters, in the 1970s, most travel posters went "photographic" and few are highly valued, and most can be bought for very little.

That will be $20 for the introductory lesson, sir!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5627 on: December 14, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »

Mel, you've been going after the larger 3 sheets I collect... don't be now going into travel posters too... ;)

Just ship Nicole Kidman or Naomi Watts to me and all this poster nonsense will cease. Just don't send any Sheilas or daybills.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:58:34 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5628 on: December 14, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
They were like window cards. They were sent only to travel agents (to display in their offices) but then (like window cards, and not like one-sheets) the travel agents could throw them out or keep them. So most of the known ones were kept by travel agents (sometimes clients would ask the agent for one as a souvenir of their trip), and there have been a few "warehouse finds" of printer overruns, just like in movie posters.

David Klein did limited edition recreations in the 2000s. To me, the nicest ones from the 1950s on were the SAS (Scandinavian Air Lines) ones, and there were three or four versions of most of the U.S. airline ones (as the planes evolved to better planes and then jets).

The ones from the 1920s to 1940s are like movie posters of the same eras. Super-rare and often much better artwork than the ones from the 1950s and 1960s. And like the movie posters, in the 1970s, most travel posters went "photographic" and few are highly valued, and most can be bought for very little.

That will be $20 for the introductory lesson, sir!

I'm already ahead of you, old timer:

http://www.posternirvana.com/moviepostercollectors/Images/Travel/index.html

Of course, photographs can be very effective advertising, perhaps even more so for travel advertising:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:06:25 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #5629 on: December 14, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
Those are some of the rare exceptions, grasshopper. Most of them (from the U.S. AND from other countries) show boring photos of buildings, lakes, etc.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5630 on: December 14, 2013, 06:37:25 PM »
Were these sold to the public back in the day or just to travel agents?

Mel, they were also used to display in hotels where they might have various travel brochures, usually at airports behind the ticket counters, you could find them at train stations in NYC, both subway systems and Long Island Railroad system and other Amtrak platforms. Grand Central station I recall seeing them, though mostly near offices of travel agents.

the SAS building was near where I lived in Queens and all over that area I would see them and I would also see travel posters wilded on NYC construction sites.
such activity petered out in the 1970s mostly

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5631 on: December 14, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
I can also add that there was a poster store in Manhattan - I don't recall if it was in the 30s or 40s, but it was just off 7th ave or Broadway. A narrow store that went way back. Out front they would have loads of great posters but not vintage material that I recall. They had all the Portal reprints & lots of other stuff and they did indeed sell travel posters. Whether they were authentic or repro I can't say

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5632 on: December 15, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »
This is what happens when I check UK Ebay erratically.  Hope one of you UK chaps landed this.  A real steal for this rarity:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:09:02 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5633 on: December 18, 2013, 11:42:32 AM »
Well, I tried to bid on one of Bruce's auctions yesterday, I logged in fine, but it wouldn't let me on to the auctions, saying try again in 5mins…

After several attempts I gave up!
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5634 on: December 18, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
….Maybe I'm banned for not Buying anything in years.. :-\

Bruce

« Reply #5635 on: December 18, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »
I imagine you did not contact us about this.

Much better to complain here!

Are you "Paul Waines" on our site? If so, I can find out the problem, if you would like me to.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5636 on: December 18, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »
I was more curious if anyone else had the same problems..

I never complained to you guy's Bruce, it was too late by then.

The problem was every time I went to bid, it said "No Tuesday Auctions", and no mater which way I went in to the site I couldn't get on the current ones unless I logged out, which meant I couldn't bid . Also a message kept coming up about the server, saying try back in 5 Mins...

It's No biggy Bruce, If there's one thing you learn after 40 years of collecting, there will be another poster along soon enough, that's just as important.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5637 on: December 18, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »
What poster was it Paul? Should have got on here and asked someone if they would have bid for you if you were having problems. I would of helped you out. I did not have any problem getting on last nights auctions.

Bruce

« Reply #5638 on: December 18, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
I see the problem! You went on AFTER the last auction closed last night, and for the first time in many, many Tuesdays, we added no new auctions (because those would have closed Christmas Eve).

Just go back on and view any of our other auctions, and you should be fine to bid.

Thanks for explaining.

Cyborg

« Reply #5639 on: December 18, 2013, 03:44:33 PM »
Hi,
What do you think of this poster ?

I did not win it.
But it still puzzles me what happened to this poster.
It looks like the printer did not have enough orange ink, i can't imagine the sun would fade only one color.

Somehow i still think its cool :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bullitt-Steve-McQueen-Driver-P-Yates-J-Bisset-27x41-inch-/261353699005?nma=true&si=X7B%252Bxvet5veT18kA%252FuODjp6W4%252Bs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5640 on: December 18, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »
No Bruce, there was 7 hours left to run on the Auctions before they closed, I just didn't have the time last night to pursue it.

Thanks for the offer Randy, much appreciated. I was going to bid on the Tobor Quad, as Bruce said, it's jolly scarce, maybe about
3 know, or at least that's all I know of counting that one..  If you won it and want a quick turn over... ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5641 on: December 18, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
Hi,
What do you think of this poster ?

I did not win it.
But it still puzzles me what happened to this poster.
It looks like the printer did not have enough orange ink, i can't imagine the sun would fade only one color.

Somehow i still think its cool :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bullitt-Steve-McQueen-Driver-P-Yates-J-Bisset-27x41-inch-/261353699005?nma=true&si=X7B%252Bxvet5veT18kA%252FuODjp6W4%252Bs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yeah, I think you're right. It would not have faded that unevenly:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5642 on: December 18, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
looks like there is a competitive market on Ebay for them just like movie posters

You don't say!
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5643 on: December 19, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
No Bruce, there was 7 hours left to run on the Auctions before they closed, I just didn't have the time last night to pursue it.

Thanks for the offer Randy, much appreciated. I was going to bid on the Tobor Quad, as Bruce said, it's jolly scarce, maybe about
3 know, or at least that's all I know of counting that one..  If you won it and want a quick turn over... ;)
I was bidding on it up until $222 after that I stopped bidding. I should have bid higher. I thought it was going to go way up in the final minutes but finished out at $227. I am mad at myself for not going more on it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:48:02 AM by rdavey26 »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5644 on: December 19, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »
I was bidding on it up until $222 after that I stopped bidding. I should have bid higher. I thought it was going to go way up in the final minutes but finished out at $227. I am mad at myself for not going more on it.

It sure was cheap at that, I don't suppose we know who got it?

Bruce

« Reply #5645 on: December 19, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »
It sure was cheap at that, I don't suppose we know who got it?

If you (or anyone) wants to make an offer to the new owner, we will transmit that. It has to be at least 50% over the closing price (lower than that never works). We don't take a commission, but we of course have to act as the middleman, because we must protect our buyer list (that is our most valuable asset).

If an offer is made, it should be sent to "phillip at emovieposter dot com" and it would be best to do it soon, because once the poster is shipped to the winner, there would be an extra shipping involved.

It is not often people take these offers, but it involves only sending one e-mail.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5646 on: December 19, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
If you (or anyone) wants to make an offer to the new owner, we will transmit that. It has to be at least 50% over the closing price (lower than that never works). We don't take a commission, but we of course have to act as the middleman, because we must protect our buyer list (that is our most valuable asset).

If an offer is made, it should be sent to "phillip at emovieposter dot com" and it would be best to do it soon, because once the poster is shipped to the winner, there would be an extra shipping involved.

It is not often people take these offers, but it involves only sending one e-mail.

Is this an "unadvertised" arrangement? Why not take a commission?

Bruce

« Reply #5647 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »
Is this an "unadvertised" arrangement? Why not take a commission?

I used to do it as a service, and I found that it almost NEVER resulted in a sale. Why? Because the high bidder may well have been prepared to pay much more themselves, and they may well have no interest in re-selling it. I made at least 100 offers, and maybe two or three ended in sales.

So now I solely do it on multi-hundred dollar items or higher, and the offer MUST be at least 50% higher, and there are STILL next-to-no sales. When there are, it is mostly when the person offers two or three times the selling price.

Why take a commission on something that almost never happens?

On the other hand, auctions that own a lot of what they auction absolutely SHOULD offer this service, because they can quickly "flip" items from their inventory.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:56:04 AM by Bruce »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5648 on: December 19, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense for very recent auction wins.  How about "make an offer" on posters that were sold in the past? Is that worth the time and trouble?  I know Heritage offers that service but unclear how successful.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5649 on: December 19, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »
"phillip at emovieposter dot com"
There you go Paul send Phillip an email asking him to make the new owner an offer. If it wasn't Christmas time I probably would but that is the reason I stopped bidding on it to.