Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837135 times)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5600 on: December 13, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »
What WOULD be the "ideal times" for the auctions to end, if you had your wish?

Just after I place my minimum bid?  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5601 on: December 13, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
Which is why you love them so much, and also because you pay less. AND I DON'T BLAME YOU ONE BIT! But you can't blame the consignors for preferring to consign to auctions where they receive more money overall.

True.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5602 on: December 13, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
What WOULD be the "ideal times" for the auctions to end, if you had your wish?

Sundays are great. Tuesdays and Thursdays - an hour or two earlier would make all the difference for your bidders in Europe!

Mark

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5603 on: December 13, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »

rofl1
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5604 on: December 13, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
It's simple - as Bruce says - sniping won't be implemented on eMovie because it takes away the "emotional bidding" factor allowed for with extended time bidding which results in higher overall results (and sometimes insanely ridiculous vomiting-inducing results).  Bruce is running a business and his main goal is to realize the highest results possible for his consignor; which, in turn, garners him more $ and likely more consignments.

Sucks for us as collectors but ask yourself if you were running an auction business would you not have the exact same strategy?
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #5605 on: December 13, 2013, 02:06:07 PM »

cheers sm1 woohoo happy1

Bruce

« Reply #5606 on: December 13, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
It's simple - as Bruce says - sniping won't be implemented on eMovie because it takes away the "emotional bidding" factor allowed for with extended time bidding which results in higher overall results (and sometimes insanely ridiculous vomiting-inducing results).  Bruce is running a business and his main goal is to realize the highest results possible for his consignor; which, in turn, garners him more $ and likely more consignments.

Sucks for us as collectors but ask yourself if you were running an auction business would you not have the exact same strategy?

cheers sm1 woohoo  happy1

But think about this: If the auctions got dismal eBay-like results, then the consignors would NEVER give so many great items. So that is an added benefit.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:15:40 PM by Bruce »

Mirosae

« Reply #5607 on: December 13, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »
Sundays are great. Tuesdays and Thursdays - an hour or two earlier would make all the difference for your bidders in Europe!

Mark

I agree. I have to give Tuesdays and Thursday a miss most of the times. Though that said, less competition from other Europeans sounds good to me !
 ;)

Bruce

« Reply #5608 on: December 13, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
How about setting an alarm clock, bid, and then go back to sleep?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5609 on: December 13, 2013, 07:19:13 PM »
With your auctions, Bruce, it's very simple...  I bid at the 5 minute mark.  Not before, not after.  If I cannot do it, if I'm jogging, driving, taking a shit, whatever I'm doing, I don't bid.  I missed yesterday's auction entirely for that reason.  It's unfortunate that you don't have a program that allows me to bid automatically, but such is life.  

I lose, you lose.

T
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:21:23 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5610 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »
Thierry, taking a shit is the best time to place bids...everyone knows this.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5611 on: December 13, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
Actually, Thierry's sniping program, for when he cannot bid himself, is called "Holiday" -- he places a call to "Holiday" and like a good bitch, "Holiday" bids for him.

With your auctions, Bruce, it's very simple...  I bid at the 5 minute mark.  Not before, not after.  If I cannot do it, if I'm jogging, driving, taking a shit, whatever I'm doing, I don't bid.  I missed yesterday's auction entirely for that reason.  It's unfortunate that you don't have a program that allows me to bid automatically, but such is life.  

I lose, you lose.

T
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5612 on: December 13, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »
Actually, Thierry's sniping program, for when he cannot bid himself, is called "Holiday" -- he places a call to "Holiday" and like a good bitch, "Holiday" bids for him.

This sounds like an enabling sort of relationship
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5613 on: December 14, 2013, 12:26:15 AM »

So true!!!   laugh1

Holiday bids for me when sellers hate me because I called their bullshit and gave them negs.  They bar me from bidding again, so I use Ho and other friends. 

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5614 on: December 14, 2013, 01:59:42 AM »
So true!!!   laugh1

Holiday bids for me when sellers hate me because I called their bullshit and gave them negs.  They bar me from bidding again, so I use Ho and other friends. 

T

You must be tolerant or not so mad if you go back for more

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5615 on: December 14, 2013, 02:17:27 AM »
So true!!!   laugh1

T

LOL

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #5616 on: December 14, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
Personally speaking - about 9pm GMT please :)

+1
Stew

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #5617 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »
I hate the sunday end time, Tuesday/Thursday work better, and would even be best an hour later. No way to make everyone happy on end times.

Bruce

« Reply #5618 on: December 14, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »
I hate the sunday end time, Tuesday/Thursday work better, and would even be best an hour later. No way to make everyone happy on end times.

The U.S. West Coasters have one preference, the U.S. East Coasters have another preference, the Europeans have another, then the Australians have yet another, etc!

Dale is right. I think the best end times are where everyone only grumbles a little bit, and remember that a good alarm clock can be worth its weight in movie posters!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5619 on: December 14, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »
My auction end times are best. nobody's is better.
naner naner naner

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #5620 on: December 14, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
There is a 'sweet spot' when the most people are 'online' at any one time, and that would appear to be 8:00am EST (USA)

http://www.edlundart.com/pages/is-the-internet-awake.html
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:40:05 PM by Silhouette »
David

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5621 on: December 14, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
So I've "discovered" travel posters and looks like there is a competitive market on Ebay for them just like movie posters. Here's the link to aviation posters being auctioned:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Aviation-/14049/i.html?_from=R40&LH_Auction=1&_nkw=poster&_sop=1

This sublime David Klein New York/TWA - supposedly in excellent condition with a bad pic - doubled at the end, still a bargain compared to Christies:

Bruce

« Reply #5622 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
So I've "discovered" travel posters and looks like there is a competitive market on Ebay for them just like movie posters.

We've auctioned well over a thousand of them, Mel! See them at http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/travel/type/travel%2520poster/archive.html

I still curse the day I selected "eMoviePoster", because there are tons of people (apparently including you) who think we auction nothing BUT movie posters!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5623 on: December 14, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
I've also sold Travel posters as well as advertising posters om www.movieposterbid.com but you really have to know what you're looking for to find them in Google results.

on my new site, after a while we'll have a searchable database for sold items, which will be soon.

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5624 on: December 14, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »
You two are geezers.  Were these sold to the public back in the day or just to travel agents?