Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837241 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5300 on: September 28, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
And then people wonder why more high-end collectors don't join here so they can show off their purchases and be made fun of...

Exactly.

This subject, in general, has been touched on here in APF before, whether the high-end collector is new to APF or is a long time member that spends little to more moderate amounts.

Because words like "inferior" vs "superior," "elite," "5 star poster" etc are used here with some regularity, it has kept others (whom I have personally PM'd with) from posting their items, out of this same concern- being made fun of, put down or even to be made to feel like their poster(s) wouldn't "measure up."

It's no wonder that only a handful ever post their collection or new acquisitions here (let alone comment: there are 383 registered members on APF). Granted, many also don't want to post their images or feel the need, but I know of a handful of members that wont post images because of the above mentioned, as well. And that's a shame, on a poster collecting forum, where all should feel comfortable in sharing their found treasures and collections, if they so choose.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:19:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #5301 on: September 28, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Well said Jeff +1

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5302 on: September 28, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »
Exactly.

This subject, in general, has been touched on here in APF before, whether the high-end collector is new to APF or is a long time member that spends little to more moderate amounts.

Because words like "inferior" vs "superior," "elite," "5 star poster" etc are used here with some regularity, it has kept others (whom I have personally PM'd with) from posting their items, out of this same concern- being made fun of, put down or even to be made to feel like their poster(s) wouldn't "measure up."

It's no wonder that only a handful ever post their collection or new acquisitions here (let alone comment: there are 383 registered members on APF). Granted, many also don't want to post their images or feel the need, but I know of a handful of members that wont post images because of the above mentioned, as well. And that's a shame, on a poster collecting forum, where all should feel comfortable in sharing their found treasures and collections, if they so choose.

Strange that you feel this way, when you started the train with this comment: "$13,871.00 for the MAD LOVE lobby card. I hope for the new owner's sake, it isn't as faded and blue as the photos make it appear to be."

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5303 on: September 28, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
Strange that you feel this way, when you started the train with this comment: "$13,871.00 for the MAD LOVE lobby card. I hope for the new owner's sake, it isn't as faded and blue as the photos make it appear to be."

There is a big difference between commenting on the possible physical condition of a poster, and ridiculing a poster.

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5304 on: September 28, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »
There is a big difference between commenting on the possible physical condition of a poster, and ridiculing a poster.

There is no possible positive effect/benefit of including that final statement and by making it you are suggesting that the buyer overpaid - absolutely a form of ridicule.  If the card had sold for $50 would you make the same statement? Of course not.
A simple congratulations to the buyer on the purchase of a rare card would suffice.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Matt

« Reply #5305 on: September 28, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
Lucky daybills never get a bad rap in this joint.......

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_24c5jAaiEM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_24c5jAaiEM</a>

Righto movin' on........

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #5306 on: September 28, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »
And then people wonder why more high-end collectors don't join here so they can show off their purchases and be made fun of...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #5307 on: September 28, 2013, 11:39:48 PM »
There is no possible positive effect/benefit of including that final statement and by making it you are suggesting that the buyer overpaid - absolutely a form of ridicule.  If the card had sold for $50 would you make the same statement? Of course not.
A simple congratulations to the buyer on the purchase of a rare card would suffice.

So you bought it, way to go, hooray!

guest8

« Reply #5308 on: September 29, 2013, 07:46:24 AM »
If only there was an ignore feature on this forum.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5309 on: September 29, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
There is no possible positive effect/benefit of including that final statement and by making it you are suggesting that the buyer overpaid - absolutely a form of ridicule.  If the card had sold for $50 would you make the same statement? Of course not.

Ridicule of others' collections isn't the game I play. No matter what one paid for a piece. That is immaterial.
You interpreted my post that way, and I've responded (now twice) to clarify my position.

Ever forward.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:38:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5310 on: September 30, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
$13,871.00 for the MAD LOVE lobby card. I hope for the new owner's sake, it isn't as faded and blue as the photos make it appear to be.  

what an amazingly uninformed statement. Sean is right on the money

Should they have waited for a better condition one to come along?

yeah.. he should have waited for the other ones that aren't known to exist.

for anyone who doesn't know, a complete set on this title isn't known to exist and these 2 cards to my knowledge have never been seen before. who gives a damn if they're faded at all, we should be happy they were found

Sean is also right on the money with his subsequent statements. Incredible moroniscism from other commenter though.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:22:28 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5311 on: October 08, 2013, 05:47:58 PM »
Lebowski Int 1S still riding high:

Charlie

« Reply #5312 on: October 08, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
Lebowski Int 1S still riding high:

;D You did keep yours right?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:59:48 PM by Charlie »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5313 on: October 08, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
Yes, it has survived the "purge" of several hundred post-1980 posters. I'm now updating posternirvana.com for the first time in five months.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #5314 on: October 09, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
Exactly.

Agree with Rosa, well said.
Best wishes,
Adam

Charlie

« Reply #5315 on: October 09, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »
Agree with Rosa, well said.

Told you! Rosa is Jeff...   ;D

Charlie

« Reply #5316 on: October 09, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
Exactly.

I just now read this... I think it has merit but what I think you are seeing is more based on personality type than other people running people off. I mean if there were a direct correlation between being made fun of based on your latest acquisition posts, Mel would have shot himself by now, and anyone whom had interacted with Louie would have run crying home to mama.  You are either a fighter or a runner.  

But think about all those 'low-end' collector like myself who celebrate every $5 Stargate or Black Swan Poster they get and don't care when the egg jokes come out.  I doesn't stop me, because that is my personality.  Maybe what we are seeing in these 'high-end' folks is buyer sensitivity.  Because, hell, getting made fun of for dropping 13K sure hurts more than being made fun of after dropping $5. But if they are that sensitive then maybe they we not deliberate in the first place and are still second guessing themselves...  

Would it also be safe to say that most of the high-end guys don't need us?  I have this theory that there is a poster network fabric beyond the interwebz that many of us have never tapped into...  

Can you guys name any high end collectors that started posting and then quit posting? I know there were probably some newbies that started and got ran off but they were buying modern paper.

And what does 'high-end' mean anyway? And why do we care if they come to the forum?

In fact if I had the money to buy $50K posters I would either be buying them for someone else (as a dealer) or some super busy hedge fund manager, actor, or CEO and wouldn't really have the time or care to frequent forums and talk about what I bought...  

Plus there may also be some security considerations for these 'high-end' folks.  I mean if it was web knowledge that a Metropolis three-sheet was at a personal residence and not a place of business, that would be a concern in my book. (that's why I never told you guys I had one :))

I don't know but can say this:

If you want to post, then post! Stop whining to Jeff about it and let us know that we are a bunch of assholes. It will make you feel better...  Else, you're just a bunch of pussies.  

You aren't going to find a better place to make a splash than here or Ari's place - so get busy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:30:22 PM by Charlie »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #5317 on: October 09, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »
I just now read this... I think it has merit but what I think you are seeing is more based on personality type than other people running people off. I mean if there were a direct correlation between being made fun of based on your latest acquisition posts, Mel would have shot himself by now, and anyone whom had interacted with Louie would have run crying home to mama.  You are either a fighter or a runner.  

But think about all those 'low-end' collector like myself who celebrate every $5 Stargate or Black Swan Poster they get and don't care when the egg jokes come out.  I doesn't stop me, because that is my personality.  Maybe what we are seeing in these 'high-end' folks is buyer sensitivity.  Because, hell, getting made fun of for dropping 13K sure hurts more than being made fun of after dropping $5. But if they are that sensitive then maybe they we not deliberate in the first place and are still second guessing themselves...  

Would it also be safe to say that most of the high-end guys don't need us?  I have this theory that there is a poster network fabric beyond the interwebz that many of us have never tapped into...  

Can you guys name any high end collectors that started posting and then quit posting? I know there were probably some newbies that started and got ran off but they were buying modern paper.

And what does 'high-end' mean anyway? And why do we care if they come to the forum?

In fact if I had the money to buy $50K posters I would either be buying them for someone else (as a dealer) or some super busy hedge fund manager, actor, or CEO and wouldn't really have the time or care to frequent forums and talk about what I bought...  

Plus there may also be some security considerations for these 'high-end' folks.  I mean if it was web knowledge that a Metropolis three-sheet was at a personal residence and not a place of business, that would be a concern in my book. (that's why I never told you guys I had one :))

I don't know but can say this:

If you want to post, then post! Stop whining to Jeff about it and let us know that we are a bunch of assholes. It will make you feel better...  Else, you're just a bunch of pussies.  

You aren't going to find a better place to make a splash than here or Ari's place - so get busy.
Arrgh.you lot

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #5318 on: October 09, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Flooble
David

Charlie

Mirosae

« Reply #5320 on: October 09, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
Told you! Rosa is Jeff...   ;D

nah! i've got better legs than Jeff...  ;)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5321 on: October 09, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
nah! i've got better legs than Jeff...  ;)

But can they compete with Mel's?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:23:06 PM by 50s »

Charlie

« Reply #5322 on: October 09, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »
nah! i've got better legs than Jeff...  ;)

I am a visual person, I need a photo....  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5323 on: October 09, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
nah! i've got better legs than Jeff...  ;)

SHOW DON'T TELL!!!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:38:04 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5324 on: October 10, 2013, 01:50:09 AM »
I'd just like to say to Charlies post, and I've said it before.  Poster snobbery,  and believe me I know, I'm in my 40th year of collecting.

And Rosa, you can't make a statement like that without pics to back it up... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...