Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837583 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5275 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:09 PM »
I'm sure I told this before but once I got ABUSED because someone bought an Ishtar daybill from me, then blamed me because the movie sucks! ....?

I didn't make the darn thing, I don't even think I've watched it, and YOU bought the poster idiot.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

guest4531

« Reply #5276 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:17 AM »
Well I have my pieces that Ill never let go.. but I have decided instead of having all of these posters that may or may not be valuable stored away I could reallocate those funds to something that I can enjoy a bit more like extended vacations overseas. Ive been thinking about a safari trip to Africa but never "had the money" .. but in reality if I stopped buying the hundreds of $30 posters for every new release each year I could have paid for a trip a long time ago. :P So now I'm thinking I can sell them off for half of what I spent on them and be closer to another trip. I have to start planning my trip to TIFF again next year soon too! ;) I guess at some point I had the realization that life experiences are more valuable than awesome posters that just sit in a file cabinet waiting for me to die so that my family (who couldn't care less about movie art) starts going through them to sell them off! :P

@fallenangel1 - What about you come to Nairobi (Kenya) to my home for a month, bring all you "african" movie posters (African Queen, etc.) with you, have a few safaris... while I sell them on consignment :)

More seriously, I would be willing to do an home exchange with guys living in US (July - August, every year).

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5277 on: September 19, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »
No last-minute bidding on this FB int:

Bruce

« Reply #5278 on: September 19, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I bet I would have gotten much more in my December Major, but we will never know!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #5279 on: September 20, 2013, 08:16:25 AM »
Why anyone would pay even a dollar for a shit poster for a shit movie is beyond me, I mean really.... HAVE YOU PEOPLE SEEN THIS MOVIE? It was shit when it came out and it's worse now, are we children?

Anyway carry on, glad you like it, bah humbug.

Ps I've been offered one free and I still said NO.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #5280 on: September 20, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »
Why anyone would pay even a dollar for a shit poster for a shit movie is beyond me, I mean really.... HAVE YOU PEOPLE SEEN THIS MOVIE? It was shit when it came out and it's worse now, are we children?

Posts like these make me remember why I love Ari  :-*
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

guest8

« Reply #5281 on: September 20, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Boy Ari is on a rampage today !! :)  pcorn

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #5282 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
Oh boy, am I in trouble again?
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5283 on: September 20, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »

happy1

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5284 on: September 20, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »
I did have the chance of one for £35, and left it, and I love Cars...
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #5285 on: September 20, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
I did have the chance of one for £35, and left it, and I love Cars...

NEXT time something like that comes up, get it, send it to me, and with the proceeds buy a great poster for free!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5286 on: September 20, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »
That was on my mind Bruce, but if I'd bought it, i'd have still kept it... :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #5287 on: September 20, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
That was on my mind Bruce, but if I'd bought it, i'd have still kept it... :-\

That's the curse of being someone who never sells! Like Thierry, too.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5288 on: September 25, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »
Commando Cody resulted in some good Auction action with a couple going head to head into the small hours.  40+ minutes extension.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3107432

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5289 on: September 25, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »

I can understand the movie might not be of interest to many but wouldn't go as far to say it's a 'shit poster'.   Poster imho is unique/appeals to car enthusiasts as well as has some weird unique cult following based on many notable quotes that lie within.

Here's one I laugh at every time I see - quoted by principle's admin asst (Grace)... 

"Well, he's very popular, Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads — They all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude"

Quote from: Ari
"Why anyone would pay even a dollar for a shit poster for a shit movie is beyond me, I mean really.... HAVE YOU PEOPLE SEEN THIS MOVIE? It was shit when it came out and it's worse now, are we children? "

No last-minute bidding on this FB int:

Stephen Ryan

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5290 on: September 26, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »
Damn.  I like that poster and bought a Fr 1P of it.  I guess I'm just a motorhead wastoid geek dickhead. :)
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5291 on: September 27, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
$13,871.00 for the MAD LOVE lobby card. I hope for the new owner's sake, it isn't as faded and blue as the photos make it appear to be.  ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAD-LOVE-Original-1935-Lobby-Card-MGM-Peter-Lorre-Frances-Drake-Colin-Clive-2-/360744780764?nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5292 on: September 27, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »
$13,871.00 for the MAD LOVE lobby card. I hope for the new owner's sake, it isn't as faded and blue as the photos make it appear to be.  ;)

Should they have waited for a better condition one to come along?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5293 on: September 27, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
Pete's head looks to be in perfect condition.   :D

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #5294 on: September 27, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »
$13,871.00 for the MAD LOVE lobby card.

HAHAHHAAHAHA! REALLY??

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5295 on: September 28, 2013, 12:02:36 AM »
Pete's head looks to be in perfect condition.   :D

Yup, Pete always looked good... especially in this role.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:09:38 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5296 on: September 28, 2013, 06:21:56 AM »
The balance of the obvious "this is inconcievably rare" and "this appears faded so i should be cautious" is an impossible scale to reconcile.. The mad love card is a seemingly faded specimen compared to nicer example cards from other 1935 MGM scene cards of similar print design for titles like ...Mutiny on the Bounty, A Night at the opera, David Copperfield etc... A quick search of recently auctioned 1935 MGM cards shows varying examples of color fading on these titles and will clarify my point...

After a fair and balanced amount of reasonable research... you can easily see that these 2 Mad Love cards have some fading, scuffing and overall they seem "destraught".... It NOW depends on the blank canvas scale of "rarity" being more important than "condition" and how collectors are willing to divvy out their priorities...it's pretty simple
Tait

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5297 on: September 28, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
HAHAHHAAHAHA! REALLY??

And then people wonder why more high-end collectors don't join here so they can show off their purchases and be made fun of...

100% chance this card was purchased by a collector who loves the film and will appreciate the card for what it is and not cry about any slight fading that may be present or the pinholes in the corners.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5298 on: September 28, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »
The balance of the obvious "this is inconcievably rare" and "this appears faded so i should be cautious" is an impossible scale to reconcile.. The mad love card is a seemingly faded specimen compared to nicer example cards from other 1935 MGM scene cards of similar print design for titles like ...Mutiny on the Bounty, A Night at the opera, David Copperfield etc... A quick search of recently auctioned 1935 MGM cards shows varying examples of color fading on these titles and will clarify my point...

After a fair and balanced amount of reasonable research... you can easily see that these 2 Mad Love cards have some fading, scuffing and overall they seem "destraught".... It NOW depends on the blank canvas scale of "rarity" being more important than "condition" and how collectors are willing to divvy out their priorities...it's pretty simple

Well said.. if the number of this particular card that is known to exist is a mere handful, then collectors (of this film, era or genre) will certainly go for what becomes available. It is a great image, well composed and, as I suggested in another thread, this may have been printed initially, with a more blueish tone to the photo imagery, as the title font and yellow areas all look rather vibrant.

The color, too, may look to be more blue, as well, due to the light source used to illuminate the card for the ebay photo (ie natural light from a window, which photographs and makes subjects look more blue).

Someone paid $13K for this.. and congrats to him/her for it, as it was money well spent, in their eyes, to add this card to their collection.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:27:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5299 on: September 28, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
Well said.. if the number of this particular card that is known to exist is a mere handful, then collectors (of this film, era or genre) will certainly go for what becomes available.

I believe if you took all the Mad Love lobbies known to exist and put them together, you would not be able to make a complete set.
Bruce has never sold a single lobby card, and not even Heritage has had more than a single card (though it was the title card).
Has anyone ever seen any US paper larger than a WC on the film in person? There is a single half sheet I know of, and that's about it.
Any material from this film is very rare.

Someone paid $13K for this.. and congrats to him/her for it, as it was money well spent, in their eyes, to add this card to their collection.

And that's the bottom line.
www.Kaijuposters.com