Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837335 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5200 on: September 03, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »
I only see the results that Bruce posted here, so am unsure as to which posters you believe are bringing record prices because they are backed (and this may well be true for average pieces in the $300-1000 range), but we just saw a record price for a 50ft Woman (nearly 50% more than the copy Heritage just sold about a month ago) and where there was strong underbidding, you have to believe that is was because of the condition and the fact it was unrestored.

Not sure if the above is directed to me or others but just in case, I never alluded to any posters bringing in record prices because they are backed or unbacked. I spoke to art dealers who said their clients prefer backed posters when framing, unless of course the artwork they buy is original Monet, van Gogh paintings etc or modern artwork such as Damien Hirst or Banksy, or limited edition prints.

Yeah, Paul... I bet you have duplicates of the millions of quads you have but just won't part with them lol. ;-)

I prefer unbacked to backed as well and have a few pieces to let go as already have them unbacked... and I have no intention of putting them on the wall (I value my life ha!) so don't mind selling them.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5201 on: September 03, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
Was really more towards Paul's comment than your Adam.
He states flat-out that backed posters bring more and I am just wondering if he is doing an apples to apples comparison.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5202 on: September 03, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
I think some folks put too much thought into the whole linen vs. non-linen debate. Who cares, if you like it, buy it. It's still a poster.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5203 on: September 03, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »
as I can and the items become available, I have been and will continue to replace any linen or paper backed item I have. Of course I am not replacing them with lower grade posters. What would be the prupose of getting a copy that needs backing to look good (folds are not a defect and small pieces from the border bother me not)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #5204 on: September 03, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
He states flat-out that backed posters bring more and I am just wondering if he is doing an apples to apples comparison.

No problem - was just commenting as you quoted something I had said. :-)

I think in general, Paul is right.
The art dealers I have spoken to say their sales of movie posters are higher on the backed side of things. I think a lot of collectors do what Rich does - replace backed with unbacked when available.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5205 on: September 03, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
Maybe this is a question that Bruce can answer.

Has he experienced a general rule of thumb that says the clients that buy linen backed posters from emp are one-shot tricks - which is to say, they found the poster in the right condition and it is bought solely for framing and displaying?  They are not seemingly expanding a collection.

And, by definition, the clients that buy un-backed posters from emp are frequently returning people who are buying for collections and their expanding needs...??

Can any pattern such as this be seen, Bruce?

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #5206 on: September 03, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
Interesting questions, Simes.
I think these questions could be put into their own thread now as its turning into a full debate and is off-topic :-)
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5207 on: September 03, 2013, 05:09:56 PM »
art dealers like "extra services" such as framing. linenbacking and restoration because if they sell and item in unrestored condition and convince their client to get restorations (or just plain backing on NM posters) because it is an additional revenue stream with specific profit margins. I've had more than one art gallery in my life (and I promise never to repeat that mistake again) and selling a frame or restoration is different than a collectible. I may only get a Murder My Sweet one sheet (to sell, I already have my own) once and my profit is limited by the unavailability. However, selling a frame is like selling cans of soup - they are always available to restock.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #5208 on: September 03, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »
I certainly don't mind either, and to each his/her own I say. If I see something I like, want and can afford at that point in time then that's what I buy, I certainly don't care if it's backed or not.

Where I get a little pissed off is when some who prefer no linen start to make comments like "why restore etc you might as well buy a reproduction" or "original is better than restored because it is original" and so on. OMG such pretentious poppycock (yes, I know, saying poppycock is probably a little pretentious too  :) ), but did I miss the meeting where the rules of being a movie poster collector were passed into law...

Bottom line naysayers, I don't collect movie poster to make you happy I collect them to make me happy.

David

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5209 on: September 03, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »

Bottom line naysayers, I don't collect movie poster to make you happy I collect them to make me happy.

Agree 100%. That is the bottom line.

If I collected to make others happy Id have to throw away 90-95 % of the crap I have bought. Not that I wont any way.  :P

I think some folks put too much thought into the whole linen vs. non-linen debate. Who cares, if you like it, buy it. It's still a poster.

Absolutely. I prefer em unbacked but like Paul says, I will take em any way I can get em.

After seeing the fantastic results Bruce got yesterday, I was just wondering why they get the prices they seem to always get at EMP.

P.S. I was hoping to get a couple of em but people is crazy for linen.  8)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5210 on: September 03, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »

No... It's a poster with shit stuck to it.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Charlie

« Reply #5211 on: September 03, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »
No... It's a poster with shit stuck to it.

Well, technically veggies and sulphite...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5212 on: September 03, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »
I have seen a few shit posters with veggies and sulphites stuck to them  ;) 8)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5213 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:13 AM »

Sean, I am comparing like for like. An example is the Moonraker Quad that sold several weeks back. It was linen-backed No restoration as it was in excellent condition, made £299..  I knew the buyer, so contacted him to ask why he paid so much for a backed poster. his reply was he prefers them backed, and is willing to pay more for a backed copy. I pointed out he could of had a mint one for about half, but he wasn't interested.

This has been the same with other posters too, remember the backed Zombies Flesh eaters that brought £799!!  A quite poor One million years B.C. that was backed brought £850...

I know two prominent U.K. collectors that are getting most there good posters backed, just because they prefer it.

As with everything it's preference, it just seems more people are willing to pay more for a backed poster as time goes on. especially non-collectors who just want the art, so will pay much more for a backed copy. I wouldn't entertain it once over, but I've bought a couple in recent times, as it was a backed one or none at all.  If I ever come across an un-backed one I could afford, I may pick it up but at the moment I'm very happy to have these couple that I otherwise wouldn't have.   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5214 on: September 04, 2013, 03:34:31 AM »
Sean, I am comparing like for like. An example is the Moonraker Quad that sold several weeks back. It was linen-backed No restoration as it was in excellent condition, made £299..  I knew the buyer, so contacted him to ask why he paid so much for a backed poster. his reply was he prefers them backed, and is willing to pay more for a backed copy. I pointed out he could of had a mint one for about half, but he wasn't interested.

This has been the same with other posters too, remember the backed Zombies Flesh eaters that brought £799!!  A quite poor One million years B.C. that was backed brought £850...

Most of these examples fall within the range I quoted above.  Linenbacking a one-sheet size poster usually runs $125-175, so at lower levels it absolutely can add that (or slightly more since you see the final result) to the price.
I think the number of these that go to non-collectors looking for a few display pieces is also greater than we think.

My statement was intended more towards the higher end pieces where people are willing to pay a premium for top condition unbacked pieces.

For example, I traded my Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man one-sheet several years back towards another piece. For Universal horror it is a pretty common item, and for that reason I am holding out for not only an unbacked one, but an unbacked one in top condition. I have turned down and will continue to turn down all linenbacked copies (no matter the price) until I find the one I want.  Does this mean I am going without and don't have the poster yet? Absolutely. But no biggie, there are lots of other items to spend money on and when I finally purchase a copy again it will be one worth the chase and I will be thrilled to own it again and have no nagging thoughts about should I have waited for a better one, should I get it fixed, etc.
And when such copy appears on the market I am willing and able to pay a premium over what all other copies have sold for recently, and I am not alone in these thoughts when chasing higher-end pieces.

S.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5215 on: September 04, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »
Well, technically veggies and sulphite...

Lol.

And thanks for weighing in, Holiday.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5216 on: September 04, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »
Sounds like we're on the same page Sean, I don't really follow many of the top end ($5000+) posters as I don't buy there, but it's good to know at that level people are preferring un-backed examples.   
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

one mighty fierce battle!
« Reply #5217 on: September 05, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
THIS was one mighty fierce battle, with many different participants, and it was in doubt until the final seconds.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3087397

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5218 on: September 05, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »
Damn I cannot believe what that LOA went for.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5219 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »
Damn I cannot believe what that LOA went for.

Without checking I will ask - is that the new high water mark?  'Country of Origin' at least partial explanation?
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5220 on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
When I showed it to my gf  she said she didnt want it. I said you dont have to worry its at $14,000.

Dodged a bullet there!  :P

Though I do like the poster.

Gratz Bruce.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: one mighty fierce battle!
« Reply #5221 on: September 05, 2013, 10:03:39 PM »
THIS was one mighty fierce battle, with many different participants, and it was in doubt until the final seconds.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3087397

Exquisite and worth every penny.
Wow....

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5222 on: September 06, 2013, 12:41:45 AM »
Without checking I will ask - is that the new high water mark?  'Country of Origin' at least partial explanation?
I guess I know I wouldn't pay $16,607 for it. No way no how. Would rather spend that kind of money on some other piece. Whoever won it must really like it.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: one mighty fierce battle!
« Reply #5223 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:20 AM »
Exquisite and worth every penny.
Wow....
I would rather fork out the extra $2,000 and get the Attack of the 50ft woman that just recently sold on emovie. I would rather have Creature from the Black Lagoon or Tobor some shit like that but the LOA quad just doesn't strick my fancy.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5224 on: September 06, 2013, 09:34:23 AM »
Not my cup of tea either. Not keen on a poster with Lawrence written on it. Who calls their child Lawrence... Sorry if you are called Lawrence