Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838031 times)

Bruce

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5175 on: September 01, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »
Two bidders REALLY made a healthy try for this one!

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3083324

It's just a shame, that with both of them wanting it so badly, they couldn't split it somehow (maybe they could have had 25 feet each?).

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:29:00 PM by Bruce »

Bruce

« Reply #5176 on: September 01, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
It worked out nicely that the guy who didn't get the 50 Foot Woman was able to get the Creature!

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3083443

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5177 on: September 01, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
Congrats on today, Bruce. Great auction to be sure. That 50 FT. WOMAN going for 19 stacks is no chump change...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #5178 on: September 01, 2013, 08:08:02 PM »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5179 on: September 01, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »
Congrats on today, Bruce. Great auction to be sure. That 50 FT. WOMAN going for 19 stacks is no chump change...

It's all about the condition.  Highly doubt there is one existing in better shape...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5180 on: September 01, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
It's all about the condition.  Highly doubt there is one existing in better shape...

Agreed, outstanding condition.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #5181 on: September 01, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »
I'll bet there is.

There is so much stuff tucked away by old time collectors that hasn't seen the light of day in years.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5182 on: September 01, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »
I'll bet there is.

There is so much stuff tucked away by old time collectors that hasn't seen the light of day in years.

Well unless you turn up one of your infamous rolled copies I still remain doubtful ;)
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #5183 on: September 01, 2013, 10:04:41 PM »
I think a bunch of titles sold for the most they ever have today.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5184 on: September 01, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
I'll bet there is.

I am sure there is as well. Some stuff we may never see in our lifetime, who knows.

I remember talking to a guy who said he had tons of older posters that his Dad got directly from theaters a long time ago. I only saw a few, but the stuff I saw was ridiculous: mint and ROLLED exampled of early Connery Bonds, Hitchcock stuff (distinctly remember a rolled Vertigo and a Vertigo three sheet that was never used), rolled Singing in the Rain, etc etc...and yes, all authentic.

I asked him if he would sell or plans on selling or consigning, and he just blew me off...said he doesn't need money, has no problem with this stuff in his storage garage until his grandkids get their hands on it. Ugh.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5185 on: September 02, 2013, 02:32:26 AM »

there are most certainly numerous copies in this condition or slightly better

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5186 on: September 02, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »
Yeah Bruce, that was a cracking auction.

Even with no interest in the titles, but loving the art, I was blown away by the conditions and the enthusiasm shown by the bidders.  Couldn't believe the price Attack went for.

A good result for emp and their consignors.

Cheers.

Bruce

« Reply #5187 on: September 02, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »
Yeah Bruce, that was a cracking auction.

Even with no interest in the titles, but loving the art, I was blown away by the conditions and the enthusiasm shown by the bidders.  Couldn't believe the price Attack went for.

A good result for emp and their consignors.

Cheers.

Thank you, kind sir! But don't overlook the other three parts. They may not have as many "high dollar" items as the just concluded Part I, but they really are FILLED TO OVERFLOWING with cool rarities where "a long time may go by before you see them again"!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5188 on: September 02, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »
There are a few things that still puzzle me about posters but linen backing is the most amusing.

I keep reading how it is the worst thing ever but every time Bruce sells em they get great sales results.

What up with that?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #5189 on: September 03, 2013, 01:09:16 AM »
Short answer: Don't believe everything you read... ;)
David

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5190 on: September 03, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »
There are a few things that still puzzle me about posters but linen backing is the most amusing.

I keep reading how it is the worst thing ever but every time Bruce sells em they get great sales results.

What up with that?

I see this every week, Linen backed posters bring much more than a standard poster.  Can someone explain why?

I hear people going on about un-backed, un-restorded being where the money is, but to date that's Bollocks...   I've been collecting a long time, and Linen-backed posters have always brought more money..

Now lets hear from one of those who bangs on about Un-backed, and Un-restorded being where the money is.
It's more than a Hobby...

Matt

« Reply #5191 on: September 03, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »
Linen backed posters are shit! Stay away from them, especially the Aussie ones.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5192 on: September 03, 2013, 03:59:33 AM »
I don't understand - are you guys saying that if the 50ft Woman poster was linenbacked, it would have brought more money?
Certainly I am misunderstanding.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Matt

« Reply #5193 on: September 03, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »
You're a lawyer Sean, you're not suppose to understand. Take it from a bloke who knows all about crayons.  wynk

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #5194 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:58 AM »

I see this every week, Linen backed posters bring much more than a standard poster.  Can someone explain why?

I hear people going on about un-backed, un-restorded being where the money is, but to date that's Bollocks...   I've been collecting a long time, and Linen-backed posters have always brought more money..

Now lets hear from one of those who bangs on about Un-backed, and Un-restorded being where the money is.

We had this conversation with a number of high-end art dealers in London and another from New Jersey a while back as that is exactly what we heard, Paul.

Basically, what came out of it was the following (their words):
Linen-backed posters are essentially preserved forever (so long as they are stored correctly etc) and are easier to frame as the frame isn't touching the paper. Unrestored/unbacked posters are more desirable, but if our buyers wish to frame a poster they usually go for a backed copy over an unbacked copy.

Funny really - imagine if someone found the elusive Metropolis US one sheet, unrestored in its original state?
What's the betting the finder would have it backed!?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5195 on: September 03, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »
I do think that is a really good summing up Adam.  I know several people who have turned down posters as they were Backed, do these people have those posters yet...?  No they don't, due to Linen snobbery. Not me I'll take what I can afford, and when it comes up. If I want to go un-backed I'll get one later, and sell the backed one, but strangely this has never happened.

Sean, it would be interesting to see how much the same poster would have went for if it was backed. You must have two high end posters you want rid of, we can use as a trial... ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5196 on: September 03, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »
Linen snobbery

There's a balm for this now
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5197 on: September 03, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
 ;D

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5198 on: September 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
Funny really - imagine if someone found the elusive Metropolis US one sheet, unrestored in its original state?
What's the betting the finder would have it backed!?

My bet is that is would remain unbacked - like the Mummy 3-sheet, the Bride of Frankenstein 1-sheets, the best Mummy 1-sheet, etc., etc.
In almost every case where a nice* copy of a key poster has been discovered, the purchaser wisely chooses to keep it unrestored.

*nice copy being the key word, a lesser condition copy will almost always be restored.

I only see the results that Bruce posted here, so am unsure as to which posters you believe are bringing record prices because they are backed (and this may well be true for average pieces in the $300-1000 range), but we just saw a record price for a 50ft Woman (nearly 50% more than the copy Heritage just sold about a month ago) and where there was strong underbidding, you have to believe that is was because of the condition and the fact it was unrestored.

Similar for the Creature From the Black Lagoon that was posted - an average/strong price for a linen-backed copy. But Heritage has sold three different unbacked copies for $20K plus.

A top condition unrestored poster from an in-demand title will 99 out of a 100 times bring more than a lesser condition copy that has been linenbacked.

I think where people are getting is confused is seeing posters that were in C-4/5 shape being restored to apparent C-9s and bringing more than an unrestored C7 or something.
Yes, a prior C5 that has been restored will bring more than an unrestored C5 99 out of 100 times. 
And it should.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Charlie

« Reply #5199 on: September 03, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
I like that the linenbacked posters bring more cash.. It leaves the gems for the taking.  When I started looking for my BAT I didn't want a backed one.  I wanted one where all the folds were crisp and had no paper loss.  If I am going to spend a lot of money, the poster better be in great shape.  I passed on two others that were backed and much more expensive to pick up my unbacked copy. And minus four tape stains arguably better color and less fold issues than most backed copies... 

Plus remember one thing - you can always back an unbacked poster and know exactly what had been done to it.