Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837867 times)

Bruce

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4975 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »

This looks like the front and back of a French herald, that was used in a place where they over-printed with Hebrew on the reverse. It in no way looks like one poster, or like anything other than a herald.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4976 on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
According to the auction description, this Shanghai piece measures 70 x 106 cm (approx 24.5 x 41.5 inches), if that helps to determine what it is exactly. ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:27:16 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #4977 on: May 28, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
Looking at it more, it looks like someone took a French herald and glued it to something and also glued a Hebrew ad for some Fox movie that came out at the same time underneath it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4978 on: May 28, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »
Looking at it more, it looks like someone took a French herald and glued it to something and also glued a Hebrew ad for some Fox movie that came out at the same time underneath it.

It isn't another Fox Film that is being advertised at the bottom. That logo is one for Fox Movietone News, who was the primary producer of newsreels that were distributed to cinemas from the 1930s thru the 1960s. It was part of the bill each night.

I was able to determine that the film name (Shanghai Express) is on the lower half, in Hebrew:

Director: Josef Von Sternberg's name-

Marlene Dietrich's name-

I almost think this was a poster, printed in France, that was made with a large, blank bottom section, (much like US WC or Belgian posters have the wide, blank top area), so that theaters could write or print their own info, screening times, or other items they might be showing. The bottom has Soubie's name and same artwork, showing soldiers on the left corner and the locomotive on the lower right.

The screening times for the film were 5, 7;15 and 9;15pm

The newsreel was shown at the 7;15 and 9;15pm screenings.

Here is the Belgian OS, with the Soubie artwork, for comparison:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:29:52 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4185

« Reply #4979 on: May 29, 2013, 04:17:58 AM »
I was all excited about a ridiculously low price for ROBOT MONSTER on Bruce's sale today. $80 for a sci-fi classic, what a bargain and I've won it.
In VG-fine condition too!
Then I looked closer and realised it was a 1981 re-issue. Lucky I wasn't bid up too high.
My fault for not reading the description properly, but still it looks good, and $80 is probably a fair price.

Bruce

« Reply #4980 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »
Rick, the last time we sold that it went for $65, and it was not in as nice condition. We have only had it three times over the years, so it seems pretty uncommon.

And of course the original would cost at least $1,000, and is very hard to find even in lesser condition.

guest4185

« Reply #4981 on: May 29, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »
No worries Bruce, no complaints I'm sure I'll be happy with it.
I had just put what I thought was a `watching bid' on a really good title and nearly had a heart attack when I thought I had won a bargain.
I've won a few great bargains over time ($72 on eBay for one poster for which I was later offered $1000), but should have known better to expect such a classic to go for $80 on your auctions.
I'm sure the reissue will do just fine

Bruce

« Reply #4982 on: May 29, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
I've won a few great bargains over time ($72 on eBay for one poster for which I was later offered $1000)

But, but, people say you NEVER get a good deal on a quality poster!

I guess the above is proof you CAN get some, as long as you really look them all over, looking for ones that "fall between the cracks"!

Charlie

« Reply #4983 on: May 30, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »
I was worried for a bit I might have overpaid for mine but this is about par...

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2987859

guest8

« Reply #4984 on: May 31, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »
I was worried for a bit I might have overpaid for mine but this is about par...

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2987859

Im glad I got mine when I did and people were syaing they didnt like that poster! fooey!!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4985 on: June 01, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
Guess we know who got this!

This Gun For Hire (1942 Argentina 1S):

Revenge of Tarzan (1920 US 1S):

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4986 on: June 02, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
$15.5K for TGFH:

Pre-war 1932 German poster for Shanghai Express goes for $11.5K, price doubled in the last two hours of the auction.  Probably the only existing German poster:

But at the "bottom feeding" end of the food chain, yours truly picked up a Dietrich three sheet for $190 (a pretty good movie too):

FickenChucker?  I know a guy on this forum who might create a name like that.....

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:13:58 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #4987 on: June 02, 2013, 05:54:49 PM »
I am a man of my word...  I lost a bet and will go three weeks with a crying Bieber avatar...  Why crying?  Not just because the Lady of the Day Argentinian sucked wind in Bruce's auction, but also because my wife just bitch slapped me since she spent hours fixing that poster and all she gets is a good laugh and subway sandwich...  Win some, you lose some...

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2989227

But we had fun restoring it...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:55:07 PM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4988 on: June 02, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
Damn Charlie - that's a great looking poster after being restored.  Sorry it didn't do better for you!
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4989 on: June 02, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
Win some, you lose some...

Hey Biebs,

Indeed you do, and of course sorry that it didn't work out for you, but exactly who is getting punished by you using that avatar for all the forum to see?

The bet should have been a framed 1SH of that nutcase in the entrance to your house, and every time someone came to the door they had to pose with you next to it!

Going to be a long three weeks...  :P  ;D
David

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4990 on: June 02, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
Damn Charlie - that's a great looking poster after being restored.  Sorry it didn't do better for you!

At least a lucky buyer will be enjoy the fruits of your labor. Besides, as David has pointed out, the Bieber is priceless.

Bruce

« Reply #4991 on: June 02, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
I let you down Charlie. You did a great job on the backing.

I bet the buyer is pinching him/herself now, thinking "How did I get this so cheap?"

Mirosae

« Reply #4992 on: June 02, 2013, 06:27:41 PM »
ma500969  Congratulations  Way Down East is all yours!

I was the underbidder  I tried.. I really wanted that poster... oh well... next time I suppose
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:31:03 PM by Mirosae »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4993 on: June 02, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »
I am a man of my word...  I lost a bet and will go three weeks with a crying Bieber avatar...  Why crying?  Not just because the Lady of the Day Argentinian sucked wind in Bruce's auction, but also because my wife just bitch slapped me since she spent hours fixing that poster and all she gets is a good laugh and subway sandwich...  Win some, you lose some...

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2989227

But we had fun restoring it...

I think you're taking it too hard. It's generally tougher to attract dollars and bidders on Spanish language posters.  For example, the superior Spanish language Tarzan sold for less than $1,000 but the US version sold for $65,000.

But maybe it was just random.  I consigned a Pulp Fiction linen (with all the extra linen removed) to EMP and it sold today for $300.  I tried to auction it a while back on Ebay with a starting price of $99 and no one bid!

ma500969  Congratulations  Way Down East is all yours!

I was the underbidder  I tried.. I really wanted that poster... oh well... next time I suppose

Too bad, that is probably the most melodramatic poster I've ever seen!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:21:08 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4994 on: June 02, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
FickenChucker?  I know a guy on this forum who might create a name like that.....

I'm your huckleberry (sorry Mark).
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4995 on: June 02, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »
Gratz Schan. It is a great poster.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4996 on: June 02, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
I thought it was Holiday and thought you already had that one.  But congrats on the poster and jeers on your perverted ID!  :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:22:16 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4997 on: June 02, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »
Nice win, Schan.  thumbup

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4998 on: June 02, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »
I thought it was Holiday and thought you already had that one.  But congrats on the poster and jeers on your perverted ID!  :o

I thought it unlikely that anyone would have pinned that username on me, but perverted?  Whatever do you mean?

Thanks everyone.  I have the other B0.  Mr. Caul is the other guy around here with one of them.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:49:50 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #4999 on: June 02, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »
I thought it was Holiday and thought you already had that one.  But congrats on the poster and jeers on your perverted ID!  :o

Not this time....  It's  great poster, and now only needs to be replaced with one that's not on linen!

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.