Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837960 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4750 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
I'm glad you got them Mark. Until I read this, I thought there was someone after them more than you!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

« Reply #4751 on: April 15, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »
The rolled posters seem to be underwhelming in prices lately. Once you get past the first page, 90% of those titles sold for what would be low retail and some where given away.

I keep telling people that there are tons of great buys each time, and besides you can get 100 posters and only pay $11 U.S. shipping.

Here is absolute verification of that from one of the most respected and knowledgeable dealers!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4752 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »
and besides you can get 100 posters and only pay $11 U.S. shipping.

?
David

Bruce

« Reply #4753 on: April 15, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
?

This is a holdover from when U.S. shipping was dirt cheap. We would charge $11 U.S. shipping for one poster, and still only charge $11 U.S. shipping no matter how many posters you won.

But now that shipping keeps going up so much, we will have to switch to actual cost for everyone.

Bruce

Charlie

« Reply #4754 on: April 15, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
This is a holdover from when U.S. shipping was dirt cheap. We would charge $11 U.S. shipping for one poster, and still only charge $11 U.S. shipping no matter how many posters you won.

But now that shipping keeps going up so much, we will have to switch to actual cost for everyone.

Bruce

Damn David, ruining it for everyone with your "?"... Jerk!  Don't pay attention to him Bruce we understand and like the current system... Maybe you should just raise your opening to $5...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4755 on: April 15, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »
Charlie, $5 start bid or actual shipping doesn't matter. In either case, the person suffering is the seller. Everytime shipping goes up to the buyer, their bids go down reflecting their ultimate cost.

cardboard keeps going up. plastic bags, tape, printer paper, labor....... as mail order business, we are completely under siege.
I foresee the end of lots of small mail order

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4756 on: April 15, 2013, 10:58:14 PM »
Time to start collecting digital posters and trading them through Bittorrent!
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #4757 on: April 15, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »
Fuck it, I am done anyway glad I got my girl before the end of the world...  I've only a few more and then maybe I'll just start collecting stills.   This is what I should've done to save the dream...

http://youtu.be/sT9HU9xCVDE?t=3m56s

I guess flash doesn't queue at a specific spot...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:34:06 PM by Charlie »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4758 on: April 16, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
 pcorn
David

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4759 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »
I foresee the end of lots of small mail order

Amazon is already there with their new add-on program.  Lots of small <$5 trinkets are now only available if shipped with something more substantial.
-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4760 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »
Example: http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Fused-Replacement-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0016LG0CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366117854&sr=8-1&keywords=cigarette+lighter+plug

Text: Buy Add-on Items
Add-on Items ship with orders that include $25 or more of items shipped by Amazon, excluding gift cards.

When you include Add-on Items with Amazon Prime orders of $25 or more, you'll also receive Prime shipping benefits, including FREE Two-Day Shipping. Add-on Items are also eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
To buy Add-on Items:

Look for the Add-on Item badge while shopping on Amazon.com or the blue title bar around Add to Cart.

Include the Add-on Item in an order that includes $25 or more of items shipped by Amazon. You can even create an order containing only Add-on Items that totals to $25 or more.

Note: If you have an Add-on Item with less than $25 of items shipped by Amazon.com in your cart, you can check out with the other items. You can also save your Add-on Item in the Saved for Later section for a future order.
Find information about our Add-on program, which allows Amazon to offer thousands of low-priced items that would be cost-prohibitive to ship on their own.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4761 on: April 16, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
Jay, that's not what I meant.

I mean that smaller mail order businesses will not be able to continue to exist if they have to raise mailing & packaging costs too much more. at some point, the extra costs become counter-intuitive and buyers go elsewhere

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4762 on: April 16, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
Here's a really nice 1960sRR, French 1P, for The Day the Earth Stood Still. The buyer did the best offer option and got it for $325.00  thumbup

In looking at the large image, I didnt see any Visa de Censure number on the poster. Weren't these numbers applied to all French posters after 1961 or 1962, as a matter or course?

I see that Bruce sold the smaller affiche, with the same artwork as this, and that one was described as being from the 1970's. Is there a way to differentiate? Or would the printer's info be possibly be different?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAY-THE-EARTH-STOOD-STILL-R1960s-SCARCE-FRENCH-GRANDE-GIANT-GORT-KEY-ART-/380620459029?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBOFFX%3AIT&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:24:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4763 on: April 16, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
The printer is ALL you need to determine the decade of release.  This one looks very 70s to me.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4764 on: April 16, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
The printer is ALL you need to determine the decade of release.  This one looks very 70s to me.

Here's the printer's info, T.

I found your other thread that talked about Lalande at Wissous. So per your info, this was printed sometime after 1965.  thumbup

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:45:24 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4765 on: April 16, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
The printer is ALL you need to determine the decade of release.  This one looks very 70s to me.

91-wissous,is that an address?

Stew

Mirosae

« Reply #4766 on: April 16, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
It looks like an address to me too...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #4767 on: April 16, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »
I just did a comparison of the bottom and top border info against one that HA sold and they are the same across the board. Looks like left and right adjustment are the same as well when comparing the print to the image for alignment.

I also compared with both that Bruce has sold and although I cannot read the text in the bottom border the alignment on the 60's version is towards the bottom edge whereas the 70's is aligned more towards the center or just above center in the border. Same for the text in the top border.

Based on these two pieces of information wouldn't that make this one a 60's and not a 70's?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:00:02 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4768 on: April 16, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »
Late 60s is my guess.

Wissous is a city and 91 is a department.  France is divided in 100 departments.  91 is close to Paris.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #4769 on: April 16, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »
Just because I am bored and it seems to help I did a side by side comparison shown below and with my admittedly limited knowledge of French posters in general based on the comparisons of known 60's, 70's and the ebay poster in question I would have to say that the ebay poster is in fact a 60's RR like the auction stated and not a 70's RR. Again my knowledge is limited to what I have before me to compare but I think it is a reasonable assumption here without knowing more.

Conclusion drawn using the comparisons below and with them noting the location and alignment of border text which is located towards the center of the borders in the 70's RR versions but towards the bottom in the 60's versions from Bruce and HA. I also when comparing noted that the borders are wider in the 70's versions than the 60's. This difference is due to the artwork being slightly smaller in the 70's print when compared to the 60's version.

Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4770 on: April 16, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
Great analysis, Mike!

The side by side photo comparisons really help in showing the variations.

clap clap clap

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:04:09 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:17:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4772 on: April 16, 2013, 08:54:55 PM »
Analysis, don't buy French posters unless you are ok with a rerelease cause even the  auction experts are wrong sometimes.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4773 on: April 16, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »
Like he said.  Don't buy French posters, like ever...  They suck and chances are you will end up with a re-release.  Thank you.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4774 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
And from the same seller, this beautiful, unrestored French 1P, with Roger Soubie art, for the 1941 version of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, went for $4250.00  clap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR-JEKYLL-AND-MR-HYDE-41-RARE-SOUBIE-FRENCH-GRANDE-TRACY-TURNER-BERGMAN-/330899230527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0b218f3f&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I rarely see anything I like around these parts, but this is gorgeous.  I wish I had seen it earlier.  Thanks for sharing.

T
My Personal Collection