Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2836897 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4650 on: April 01, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »
This is a question for our resident art expert T.

and PS: you have at least one other "art expert" here

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4651 on: April 01, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
Wait, comics are art also?  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4652 on: April 01, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
Those colors really pop!

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4653 on: April 01, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
there is more art out there than you think.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4654 on: April 01, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
Just kidding Rich, I know there's more than classic painting.
In fact, I would take your uncle creepy -or other original comic art- before a Monet...
Matias

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4655 on: April 01, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »
And I enjoy inmensely your posts about the original comic art you used to deal with.
You ever had an original from Brian Bolland?
Matias

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4656 on: April 01, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
had lots of Bolland.. I've had just about everyone who ever worked in the business and lots of it
also quite a bit of illustration work 1900-1975.. many many many pieces

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4657 on: April 01, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
This is a question for our resident art expert T.
Is this an original? If so, wasn't the price extremely cheap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-OIL-ON-CANVAS-CLAUDE-MONET-WITH-FRAME-IN-GOLDEN-LEAF-VERY-NICE-/251249606706?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=hgO5NiBigqi1b8Q1ISAr2%252BUJRbw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Very funny, Matias.

I suppose it's a joke, so I will humor you...

1.  It looks nothing like a Monet.  Pastel colors and imagery are wrong.
2.  Monets don't sell on Ebay.
3.  A real Monet of this caliber would be worth at least $10,000,000 at auction.

T
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:06:35 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4658 on: April 01, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
fleaBay has become the forgery depot and not just for Gucci bags.

99.9% of all autographs on fleaBay are forgeries with a great percentage of them done by a guy we call "the Valley Forger" (as in  Valley Girl). Incredibly, he has neither been arrested nor investigated to my knowledge and his fraud is at least as big as Haggards in dollar value. The key is that he moves on, to another city, like Las Vegas.

Original comic art.. you can find a variety fo Charles Schulz, Berke Breathed, Frazetta, Joe Shuster, Bob Kane and many others at all times... Jack Kirby also.

You can find forgeries by Picasso, Dali... you can find any kind of forgery you want, on fleaBay.

it should be a commercial for fleaBay with a song written by Arlo Guthrie..
"you can find forgeries you want on Donnelly's fleaBay site.
You can find forgeries you want, on fleaBay oh yeah that's right.
Just log on with your tablet app, you can spend your money on all kinds of crap.
you can find forgeries you want on Donnelly's fleaBay site."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:08:25 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4659 on: April 01, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »
The sad thing is that you don't have to be an expert in Monet to know that this is not a Monet.  Whoever painted this did not even try.  Like I always say, do your research.  A few minutes on the internet.  It's not that hard.

Here's a hint...  Ask yourself if the couple walking in the forest is dressed like late 1800 France?  That blue sweater, the pink dress, yeah, it screams Impressionism.  

T
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:19:12 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4660 on: April 01, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
Thierry.. I believe it's a little different for you and I than it is for the vast majority of other people. First of all, we've both been exposed to Monet originals in the flesh which most people have not. I spent lots of time at the Metropolitan, at museums in San Diego, Chicago, Cincinnati as well as my native NYC where paintings of this nature are always exhibited. Add that both of us are students of art and I studied the Impressionists heavily (my favorite "easel" art forms #1 American art 1700-1950 #2 Impressionists). It takes experience for the eye to know what it's looking at. How the artist holds his brush, makes his stroke and even what kind of brushes & media the artist used. That's why the first time someone showed me a forgery of a Margaret Brundage "Weird Tales" pulp cover pastel I started laughing when he was holding it up more than 100 feet away (it was done in oils) and why I was never the victim of many Frazetta forgeries I had been offered (and these were good). You and I have the eye for this material specifically and I'll explain something one of my good friends (an art & music teacher) told me when I saw him in November and we went to his classroom where he showed me his student's work (and his). to wit, he explained that every one of his students believes they are going to be great, but only a very small few will ever be even good and that the vast majority will never be able to understand what kind of inner talent in art & eye & mind they need to get there

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4661 on: April 01, 2013, 05:40:27 PM »
btw Thierry, while for the most part it does not look like a Monet, adjust your view a little. What it looks like is that the forger is a big fan of Monet's final phase, the Water Lillies period, where he was using those broader strokes. But clearly the artists was not a student of Monet's complete body of work as he would have then understood how Monet's work had changed in this period and that he didn't put people in his paintings during this phase. He also clearly does not understand that for all the color Monet used that Monet muted his colors somewhat. This piece looks like the artist is merging the influence of Monet & Van Gogh

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4662 on: April 01, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Really Rich?  First you go telling me that most people can't tell the difference between what's real or not, and then you follow it by describing the artist's brush stroke?  It's one or the other.  Personally, I don't think this piece is worth analyzing.  I have seen tons of counterfeits in my lifetime, and yes, subject matter, brush strokes, muted colors and time periods do apply, but this is not one of them.  I don't even know why we're commenting on this.  It's a slow day, I guess.

Something that I forgot to mention from the seller's description, I love this: "It doesn't have the certication, sold as it is"  What "certication"?  ;)  This made me laugh.

One of the most important aspect of a piece of art is its provenance, who's owned it, private party, gallery, museum, who sold it, Drouot, Sotheby's, Christie's, when, how many times did it go to auction, the framer, whoever did the backing, etc...  Over a 100 years, you can imagine that it can amount to a lot.  A piece of art has a life, a past and a future, and it is almost as important as the art itself, sometimes even more important.  I sold a couple things recently.  One of the buyers was on the fence about a particular piece, not sure whether he really wanted it or not, arguing about the price.  Its provenance made the difference.  So even if I had not seen the art, reading "It doesn't have the certication, sold as it is" would be enough to indicate that it is nothing.

T
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:04:30 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4663 on: April 01, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »
One of the most important aspect of a piece of art is its provenance, who's owned it, private party, gallery, museum, who sold it, Drouot, Sotheby's, Christie's, when, how many times did it go to auction, the framer, whoever did the backing, etc...  Over a 100 years, you can imagine that it can amount to a lot.  A piece of art has a life, a past and a future, and it is almost as important as the art itself, sometimes even more important.

Thierry is 100% correct. It would be exceedingly rare for an unknown piece to surface though on occassion a piece will resurface that has niot been seen for decades and whose location was unknown. On pieces by artists such as Monet, except for Nazi booty as yet to be located, one coming to market would have a source and great fanfare.

as to the first part of your response, did even read my post into it's context you pinhead??

ps: we're discussing it because a question was asked. This is a freaking discussion board... PINHEAD!!!

:P

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4664 on: April 01, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »
Lardy da
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4665 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
April Fools!
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4666 on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
April Fools!

Nope. I was asking seriously. I'm an art illiterate  :P
Matias

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4667 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »
Nope. I was asking seriously. I'm an art illiterate  :P

No I meant you're all April Fools!  ;)
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4668 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:21 PM »
That's more accurate... ;)
Matias

Bruce

« Reply #4669 on: April 02, 2013, 08:25:23 PM »

guest8

« Reply #4670 on: April 02, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »
YOU STFU BRUCE!! :P

PS
I type that with all of the love in the internet  bed1

PSS
Email Vi for me and tell 'em they can suck it !!!!  moron1

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4671 on: April 02, 2013, 08:29:50 PM »

Great image!

;D

Wow. I was watching that one. Great job Bruce!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:31:07 PM by Zorba »

guest8

« Reply #4672 on: April 02, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
So .. since I gave that one away .. anyone have another one of those TDK posters they wanna sell me?? :)

Bruce

« Reply #4673 on: April 02, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4674 on: April 03, 2013, 02:32:33 AM »
Good God!  I woud have thought by now everyone would have found their SF quad posters.

That is an unreal price - I didn't even see that during the hyped period.