Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837816 times)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #550 on: June 24, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »
Thanks, Chad.  Your comment about what you said in a previous post, that Tarantino posters are part of the cool side of films, crossed my mind, and I listened to my gut instinct which said "I have to bid on those."  :D  But I still think Star Wars posters are cool also, and there are a couple on my want list that I will most likely have to shell out some fairly serious dough for, despite the fact that many think they are not quite as cool as Tarantino films :D.

Haha, I didn't realize anyone listens to what I have to say. There are some cool Star Wars posters for sure and I don't think anyone who picks up a few is classified as a dork but there are a lot of those Star Wars Freaks out there and when it comes to their beloved movies they act like whack jobs. It's this crowd that makes me cautious about jumping in. Plus there are a ton of other posters I want more and I hate starting something I don't think I can finish any time soon. This is why I've held off on getting crazy into the Bond posters because have too many other collections to finish off first.

Chad

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #551 on: June 25, 2010, 06:31:40 AM »
Grats Fallen on a very nice poster. That is not an easy one to find and at that price either. Grats Neo, you got some nice QT stuff for a good price. Mel, that Hurt Locker poster for the price is bad ass! Congrats all around guys.

Chad

Yeah, drinks all 'round!  And Bruce has to pick up the tab!

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #552 on: June 25, 2010, 08:36:10 AM »
I managed to snag the Amelie 'bed' B1 for what I think is a decent price ($130).

I thought I'd missed the boat on that one and was happy with the B2 I have of it. It'll go nicely with the Green-style B1 I was able to snag last year.

I also grabbed the two Inglourious Basterds B1s at reasonable prices too. I gave up bidding on the Deathproof B1, Pan's Labyrinth B1 and the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Ohrai art) B1. Until another day!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:47:49 AM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #553 on: June 25, 2010, 09:44:39 AM »
I saw you get that Hurt Locker...I would have hurt your budget more but I wanted something later on.

I didnt notice the American Splendor....damn!...

You had a very nice night Mel.

You picked up a nice one there on the Pan's Labyrinth, Mel.  It's not an easy poster.  I picked up the other Hurt Locker poster.

Grenoble is nice, but the condition was horrible for the price it went for.

H

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #554 on: June 25, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »
Good stuff, NeoLoco.  The B1's for Death  Proof and Planet Terror were on ebay when Grindhouse first came out, and they were quickly sucked up.  Those are nice additions.

H

Nice ones, Mel.  The Super Fly kicks ass. 

I scored a few nice B1s and 30x40s from Bruce tonight  ;D.  To the members who were under-bidders on the B1s, sorry about out-bidding you at the last second, I have been waiting to "pull the trigger" on these posters for a while.  I didn't even realize the grand total until a few minutes after I won the last one, but I am definitely happy with the purchases, and I think I got some good deals  :D.  The Tarantino posters will definitely make me feel a little kewler, and I am surprised the Moonrunners didn't sell for more money.  That poster is sweet  :D.
Photos courtesy of emovieposter.com

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #555 on: June 25, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
That is an extraordinary price for that poster.  I won't even tell you what I paid for it years ago.  Just make sure when you get it, not that Bruce would allow such a thing but shit happens anyway, that you measure it to confirm that it is not undersized at all.  That B1 has been reprinted a lot.  When you get it, you'll know immediately just by the feel of the paper - heavy matte stock.  Assuming it's authentic, and I have no doubt it is - just double check - that poster was probably the steal of the auction.

I managed to snag the Amelie 'bed' B1 for what I think is a decent price ($130).

I thought I'd missed the boat on that one and was happy with the B2 I have of it. It'll go nicely with the Green-style B1 I was able to snag last year.

I also grabbed the two Inglourious Basterds B1s at reasonable prices too. I gave up bidding on the Deathproof B1, Pan's Labyrinth B1 and the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Ohrai art) B1. Until another day!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #556 on: June 25, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »
Holiday, I was very shocked when it didn't climb up and over the $200-250 mark. I do trust Bruce, but of course I started wondering if other bidders knew something I didn't just by looking at the hi-res image.

I've dug out a couple of authentication links for this poster:

Authentication guide on Erich's Posterdemic blog: http://www.japanesepostergallery.com/2009/05/03/collecting-guides/amelie-b1-japanese-movie-poster-authentication/ - I've checked the points as much as I can without having the poster in hand and it's looking good.

Steve (Dsonesheets) used to have an authentication page, but that's no longer active. I did find this on MPF: http://www.movieposterforum.com/index.php/topic/4068-japanese-amelie-b1-poster where the measurements are mentioned a few times. 28.5x40.5 inches, which is what it's listed as in the auction.

I'm extremely happy with the win!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #557 on: June 25, 2010, 10:22:40 AM »
Holiday, I was very shocked when it didn't climb up and over the $200-250 mark. I do trust Bruce, but of course I started wondering if other bidders knew something I didn't just by looking at the hi-res image.

I've dug out a couple of authentication links for this poster:

Authentication guide on Erich's Posterdemic blog: http://www.japanesepostergallery.com/2009/05/03/collecting-guides/amelie-b1-japanese-movie-poster-authentication/ - I've checked the points as much as I can without having the poster in hand and it's looking good.

Steve (Dsonesheets) used to have an authentication page, but that's no longer active. I did find this on MPF: http://www.movieposterforum.com/index.php/topic/4068-japanese-amelie-b1-poster where the measurements are mentioned a few times. 28.5x40.5 inches, which is what it's listed as in the auction.

I'm extremely happy with the win!

I think you were just in the right place at the right time.  Erich's authentication is exactly correct.  As I said, you'll know as soon as you put your hands on it if it's the right thing.  I actually think I have Steve's authentication somewhere in the bowels of my harddrive, but it's irrelevant, really.  Erich's is all you need.  Let us know!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #558 on: June 25, 2010, 10:24:15 AM »
I definitely will do.

Still can't believe it really...  :o

linder1

« Reply #559 on: June 25, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
It is the real thing.  You don't need to authenticate it.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #560 on: June 25, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
Excellent, thanks Erich  woohoo

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #561 on: June 25, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »
Grats Ed, that is a very nice poster and for that price, well hell, it makes collecting all the more enjoyable!   thumbup

Chad

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #562 on: June 25, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
It is the real thing.  You don't need to authenticate it.

Excellent, thanks Erich  woohoo

This forum is VERY cool  :)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #563 on: June 26, 2010, 01:41:46 AM »
This forum is VERY cool  :)

It's like one big, happy family  :D.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #564 on: June 27, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #565 on: June 29, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
Did anybody see all the Frank Kozik posters this ebay seller auctioned over the last few days?  http://shop.ebay.com/turbomusicnow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

There was a pretty sweet Dazed and Confused poster that sold for about $250, which according to Carson's well written post in the Unicorns thread (that somehow got deleted  :-\) was a good deal.  One of my favorite movies, but I passed on it because I had mixed feelings spending that kind of dough on a print.  http://cgi.ebay.com/DAZED-AND-CONFUSED-FRANK-KOZIK-POSTER-/300439522134?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f3974b56

This Soundgarden/Pearl Jam poster went to over $1,200 and the reserve was still not met  :o.  http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUNDGARDEN-PEARL-JAM-FRANK-KOZIK-POSTER-/300439955622?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f39de8a6

Can someone send me a link to the post that detailed how to insert a link without having to insert the entire "http://......?"

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #566 on: June 29, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »
Did anybody see all the Frank Kozik posters this ebay seller auctioned over the last few days? There was a pretty sweet Dazed and Confused poster that sold for about $250, which according to Carson's well written post in the Unicorns thread (that somehow got deleted  :-\) was a good deal.  One of my favorite movies, but I passed on it because I had mixed feelings spending that kind of dough on a print.

Yeah, it's not the unicorn 27x41 video poster but it's still cool.  There's another signed one on Ebay as a "Buy It Now" for $400.

Can someone send me a link to the post that detailed how to insert a link without having to insert the entire "http://......?"

Here or here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,121.0.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:34:10 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #567 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:59 PM »
Yeah, it's not the unicorn 27x41 video poster but it's still cool.  There's another signed one on Ebay as a "Buy It Now" for $400.

Here or here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,121.0.html

Thanks for the link to the post about the links.

I had my eye on the $400 B.I.N. for about a week, and it sold this morning for $300.  Although it's not the unicorn, it still is pretty cool.  Carson's post was very informative on the one in the auctions and the unicorn, and it was cool to see a poster that is not the run of the mill style studio or NSS one-sheet.  Maybe someday I will decide to buy one and do a whole black-light room like my college dorm, with a bunch of wild and crazy posters, and hopefully the price won't be through the roof on it  :P.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #568 on: July 02, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
Three exceptional German A1 posters from last night's Emovie auction - anybody have an extensive German collection?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #569 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:18 AM »
Mel. You got the Boogie Nghts?...That was one of the two Germans I was watching. I bid on the other one but It didnt look like that guy was going to say uncle til I was unable to buy anything else this month...I need money for the Heritage signature auction and all the Hitchcock posters in it.  :-\  :P

This one is in my German size frame. I picked up a new camera( cheap but better than my phone) and a picasa account. Now to find a new a photographer.

Also...I dont know much about Australian Daybills. I got a couple I liked a lot for what I thought was real cheap to start that collection. Pictures to come one day soon.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #570 on: July 03, 2010, 02:09:01 PM »
Mel. You got the Boogie Nghts?...That was one of the two Germans I was watching. I bid on the other one but It didnt look like that guy was going to say uncle til I was unable to buy anything else this month...I need money for the Heritage signature auction and all the Hitchcock posters in it.  :-\  :P

Also...I dont know much about Australian Daybills. I got a couple I liked a lot for what I thought was real cheap to start that collection. Pictures to come one day soon.

No I didn't get those - I've more than enough regular movie posters for a lifetime.  The only thing I'm buying now are Alamos - and I'm VERY late to that party!

But that's great you're starting German and Australian daybill collections.  I'm sure the Aussies on the board will be very pleased....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #571 on: July 03, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »
Zorba, daybills are CRAP.  You should probably stop collecting them now, before you waste your $$$!
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #572 on: July 03, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »
Especially the film noir ones wynk

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #573 on: July 03, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
Especially the film noir ones wynk

ESPECIALLY the film noir ones!

Who would ever want to collect anything that is only 13x30 inches, quite often featuring highly inferior artwork with multiple floating heads and overt censorship of gore/violence/sexuality with an odd ratings circle with wording that most North Americans can't even understand - "Not Suitable For General Exhibition"?!

Yes Zorba, you should definitely stop while you are ahead.  I hear that Belgian, Polish and French posters are all very nice...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #574 on: July 03, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »
Zorba, I should have said "I'm sure the weirdo denizens of the British Commonwealth will be displeased with your new interest in daybills."   ;)