Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837761 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4425 on: March 20, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »
Maybe make up the difference with a trade......

Kay perhaps?

wynk

-Jeff

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #4426 on: March 20, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
Since I was the fool (or genius, depending on each of your viewpoints) of this prize possession who shelled out the 51 'donuts' (The Jerk, 1979), I feel the need to defend myself...

I REALLY WANTED IT!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my friends ;-)

No need to defend yourself. Disposable income is just that.  Why wait a year or two to save a whopping $20?  That is were I run afoul with the APF Price Police.  I paid 1500 for the PF advance, when the next highest price was 1250 linen.

Who cares? I own it, and not another one in comparable condition has popped in the last 6 months.  Same holds true for the Int. Matrix.  Might the next one sell for 200 less sure, might it sell for more- maybe.  Do I own it today- Yes.   ;D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Mirosae

« Reply #4427 on: March 20, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »
Maybe make up the difference with a trade......

Kay perhaps?

wynk

QUE??  ;)

Pronay

« Reply #4428 on: March 20, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
I won the French 1P Parallax View for $34, I love it when I bid against someone who's also selling one for $175 on ebay

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #4429 on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
A cool poster, but $580 cool?

WOW!!! 2 people really must have wanted that!
it is a nice poster, but a 2F for this was just on ebay [which i actually prefer that design] and had no biters @30 euros haha
well bigger is better as they say :)
both tues and thursdays auctions have some really nice pieces, saying that pretty much every auction you do does!
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4430 on: March 20, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »
I love analyzing what drives collectors to purchase movie memorabilia.  For me personally I try to rationalize my spending by looking at my collection as a whole as a sound investment.   But if I look at each individual purchase, I have to face the fact that much of what I purchase is not an investment, it's just what I want (or maybe what I think I need).

When it comes to $51 items, that's disposable.  When you drop a few grand on ha.com's signature auctions, not so much.   My willingness to purchase high ticket items comes from the story I tell myself, and that's something around I (or family) are not doing without,  it's better then blowing $$ on household items or other toys that will have no value after I make the purchase, and it fulfills some inner need I have as means to escape from the daily grind of life.

Most of us work hard, commit to whatever needs arise with our families, and live a busy and often chaotic life with nonstop responsibilities.   I see my collecting as downtime which is unique and somewhat defines who I am.   

My wife likes to vacation, a couple of my good friends are avid hunters, my kids (young) are obsessed with mechanical pencils and crafts.   I play tennis (lately, poorly) and collect movie memorabilia, and yes, sometimes don't make sound decisions (see photo below).   

Overall, it creates a balance in life that keeps me going.   

No need to defend yourself. Disposable income is just that.  Why wait a year or two to save a whopping $20?  That is were I run afoul with the APF Price Police.  I paid 1500 for the PF advance, when the next highest price was 1250 linen.

Who cares? I own it, and not another one in comparable condition has popped in the last 6 months.  Same holds true for the Int. Matrix.  Might the next one sell for 200 less sure, might it sell for more- maybe.  Do I own it today- Yes.   ;D

Brian
Stephen Ryan

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4431 on: March 20, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »
Hey if you bought the Beginning of the End I would count that as a sound decision :)
Chris

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4432 on: March 20, 2013, 08:31:28 PM »
I 'intentionally' left out what I paid for it   hitself

Hey if you bought the Beginning of the End I would count that as a sound decision :)
Stephen Ryan

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4433 on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
I got bitten by something that looks very much like that some days ago. I would like that poster as it would have meaning for me

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4434 on: March 20, 2013, 08:57:28 PM »
I love analyzing what drives collectors to purchase movie memorabilia.  For me personally I try to rationalize my spending by looking at my collection as a whole as a sound investment.   But if I look at each individual purchase, I have to face the fact that much of what I purchase is not an investment, it's just what I want (or maybe what I think I need).

When it comes to $51 items, that's disposable.  When you drop a few grand on ha.com's signature auctions, not so much.   My willingness to purchase high ticket items comes from the story I tell myself, and that's something around I (or family) are not doing without,  it's better then blowing $$ on household items or other toys that will have no value after I make the purchase, and it fulfills some inner need I have as means to escape from the daily grind of life.

Most of us work hard, commit to whatever needs arise with our families, and live a busy and often chaotic life with nonstop responsibilities.   I see my collecting as downtime which is unique and somewhat defines who I am.   

My wife likes to vacation, a couple of my good friends are avid hunters, my kids (young) are obsessed with mechanical pencils and crafts.   I play tennis (lately, poorly) and collect movie memorabilia, and yes, sometimes don't make sound decisions (see photo below).   

Overall, it creates a balance in life that keeps me going.   

Very well put. 

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4435 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:52 PM »
I got bitten by something that looks very much like that some days ago. I would like that poster as it would have meaning for me

hitself
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4436 on: March 20, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
That is a cool poster.  But $580?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4437 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:44 PM »
...and yes, sometimes don't make sound decisions (see photo below).   

If you're unhappy with this, I'll swap you something for it.
The film might've sucked hind teat, but that poster is very cool.

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4438 on: March 20, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »
I wish - long story so I'll give the 'readers digest' version...

Was at Cinevent last year - good friend who is a dealer had this 3sh.   He's from NYC with prices to match (to quantify, think prices aligned to Greece's national debt).

I thought I'd have a good day at the auction Saturday but not so much.  Now it's Sunday, day before Memorial Day and final day where most of the dealers wrap up.

Don't want to go home without a sci fi 3sh so I cave - shell out full asking price.   Realize afterwards I confused my price review with a 'The Blob' 6sh he had so to put it lightly, I 'grossly' overpaid.  Anyway, serves me right for not doing my homework and glad it was a friend who benefited.

So from now on, he's bringing the good scotch.  Also, a large group of us go to a good steak restaurant every year so I intend to harass the sh*t out of him until he agrees to pick up my check.
    woohoo

That is a cool poster.  But $580?
Stephen Ryan

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4439 on: March 20, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
Was at Cinevent last year - good friend who is a dealer had this 3sh.   

I 'grossly' overpaid.  Anyway, serves me right for not doing my homework and glad it was a friend who benefited.

Good friend charges you full price?

Maaaaaate, buddy, pal o' mine...have I got a sweet deal for you  ;)
David

Steven11788

« Reply #4440 on: March 21, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »

if it works that way.. well I got bit by a gila mosnter, so if anyone has a OS for the giant gila monster, i deserve that, lol no but i got to hold one, so stil it works out

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #4441 on: March 21, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »
im kind of surprised this went as quickly as did??
6K euros is a lot!
i know it probably went for a best offer but still.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221204145346?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4442 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
40,000 post 1960 posters?!  I guess it's an educated guess on what's actually in there...
Chris

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4444 on: March 21, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
Ari must have needed that for his exhibition
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4445 on: March 21, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Cheap at twice the price!

Damn, that one slipped through for my laugh at daybills collection wall

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:23:42 PM by 50s »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4447 on: March 21, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
Ari must have needed that for his exhibition

;D

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4448 on: March 21, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
Damn, that one slipped through for my laugh at daybills collection wall

What a great idea!  cheers