Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837105 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4375 on: March 17, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
So jealous!  The condition looks amazing too.

I agree with you, Matt. it looks like it fresh off the press. Superb!

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4377 on: March 17, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »
What makes you think this is from Ron's collection?

From the listing:

Thanks for looking and good luck bidding! --Ronald V. Borst & Margaret Borst

Although I guess it could be on consignment...
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4378 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:43 PM »
I have a poster with an NSS-esque "Ron Borst Collection" stamp on the back -- or something to that effect.

Bruce

« Reply #4379 on: March 18, 2013, 08:05:33 AM »
I wish I had stamped everything that has passed through my hands. I wonder what percentage of what is in the hobby would have that stamp. But I would have needed a 31st employee to get that done!

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4380 on: March 18, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
I wish I had stamped everything that has passed through my hands. I wonder what percentage of what is in the hobby would have that stamp. But I would have needed a 31st employee to get that done!

How would these extra stamps affect the poster from a valuation standpoint?
And how would that work with DS posters?
Just curious. It would be interesting to see, though. I always enjoy seeing all the stamps in a passport. Imagine the travels and hands that some of the older posters might have been through.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4381 on: March 18, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
Yeah, that's one thing I've always wondered. Bearing in mind when the interweb launched.   How come there's so many Quads in the U.S.? How did they get there? They must have been moved over there when collecting posters was in it's early days, or before...  Most odd.
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #4382 on: March 18, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
How would these extra stamps affect the poster from a valuation standpoint?
And how would that work with DS posters?
Just curious. It would be interesting to see, though. I always enjoy seeing all the stamps in a passport. Imagine the travels and hands that some of the older posters might have been through.

It WOULD be incredible if EVERY poster had a "passport" with it, that showed EVERYONE who ever owned it or sold it, and also pre-restoration images if it is restored.

What stories posters could tell!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4383 on: March 18, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
That would have been great, had previous owners placed a small mark or stamp on the back.much like owners of fine art do in many cases. Then a real time line or chain of ownership and restoration (if any) could be established.

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4384 on: March 18, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
From the listing:
Thanks for looking and good luck bidding! --Ronald V. Borst & Margaret Borst
Although I guess it could be on consignment...

I know who the seller is, but even if it's not on consignment, it doesn't explain why the original poster believed this was from their collection rather than one of the thousands of items they have for sale at their store.
I certainly don't believe every pressbook I purchase from Emovieposter is from Bruce's collection, or every item i buy from Movieposterbid is from Rich's collection. Why is this different?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4385 on: March 18, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
I know who the seller is, but even if it's not on consignment, it doesn't explain why the original poster believed this was from their collection rather than one of the thousands of items they have for sale at their store.
I certainly don't believe every pressbook I purchase from Emovieposter is from Bruce's collection, or every item i buy from Movieposterbid is from Rich's collection. Why is this different?

Well you'd need to make a distinction between what is part of a collection and what isn't.  If Rich has a whole stack of Belgians that he owns (not on consignment) that he is auctioning are they not technically part of his "collection" as a whole until they are sold?  I have posters earmarked strictly to sell at some point but right now they are sitting firmly in my "collection".

If Borst is selling it (not on consignment) there is an argument it's part of his collection until it's sold...
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4386 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
silly argument Chris. while I do sell pieces from my collection, the 15,000 posters I sold last year except for an infintessimal percentage never had any plans of relaxing on a chaise lounge in my vault. It's the difference between my collection and my "stock". Sean was right to question the statement as by itself it could be false information giving people the idea that Ron Borst is selling out, which doesn't serve the hobby (or Ron) in the slightest.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4388 on: March 18, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
silly argument Chris. while I do sell pieces from my collection, the 15,000 posters I sold last year except for an infinitesimal percentage never had any plans of relaxing on a chaise lounge in my vault. It's the difference between my collection and my "stock". Sean was right to question the statement as by itself it could be false information giving people the idea that Ron Boast is selling out, which doesn't serve the hobby (or Ron) in the slightest.

Is Borst a collector or a dealer?  Can someone be - gasp! - both?  Does he have a collection or stock?  Can words be used interchangeably contingent on point of view and context?

Can I trully have stock if I don't run an auction or own a brick + mortar or even an online store?

And how are you guys so certain it's not from his collection (or is that stock?).  And really who cares if it is or it isn't?!  He's obviously sold many items either from the collection or from the stock in the past...now I need a drink
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4389 on: March 18, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »
Chris.. it's very simple.. mis-in-for-ma-tion

it's bad for the hobby, and could be bad for Ron

Mr "I Never Have Anything Original To Say" made a false statement. he was being asked why he said it. He doesn't answer it. His totality of information is what he can find on the internet or what he can invent. Another person looking for kudos for doing nothing.

personally, I think people should remark when information is false or unsupported. Sean obviously has the same feeling. We aren't alone.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4391 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
I picked up the 3sh for this re-release a couple years back (although my copy is dated '49) - a little bland, but hey, it's Oz.  Now only it was from 10 years earlier  hitself

A US OS for The Wizard Of Oz (1948RR). I really like this movie, too.  thumbup

Sold: $558.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Wizard-of-OZ-Original-Vintage-Movie-Poster-RARE-FRESH-FIND-TO-MARKET-/300873468398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460d74c9ee&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Stephen Ryan

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4392 on: March 18, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
Nice 3sh, Stephen.  clap

It's interesting that the above OS says "Copyright 1948 Loew's Incorporated," even though the general re-release wasn't until June of 1949.

Maybe the OS were printed towards the end of 1948 for the following summer's run?

-Jeff

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4393 on: March 18, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »
Hey Jeff, yes, definitely odd.   Maybe one of the other historians of the group can address this discrepancy.   The only info I know of this poster is the large Garland image was reused from the '44 classic, 'Meet me in St. Louis'.

Nice 3sh, Stephen.  clap

It's interesting that the above OS says "Copyright 1948 Loew's Incorporated," even though the general re-release wasn't until June of 1949.

Maybe the OS were printed towards the end of 1948 for the following summer's run?

Stephen Ryan

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:46:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4396 on: March 19, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »
Last two, huh?  I'll believe it when I see it.  If those were the final two, looks like Bruce came the closest!

I wonder what the FIFTH one will go for?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4397 on: March 19, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »
Is Borst a collector or a dealer?  Can someone be - gasp! - both?  Does he have a collection or stock?  Can words be used interchangeably contingent on point of view and context?

Can I truly have stock if I don't run an auction or own a brick + mortar or even an online store?

And how are you guys so certain it's not from his collection (or is that stock?).  And really who cares if it is or it isn't?!  He's obviously sold many items either from the collection or from the stock in the past...now I need a drink

Yes, Chris, he is. Much like Benito.  thumbup

It was simple.

All I did was ask Ron the question. And he confirmed the insert was from his "collection."

I do research and like many others here, try to be as accurate as possible.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:05:36 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4398 on: March 19, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »

I do my research and like many others here, try to be as accurate as possible.

I am pretty sure all the collectors here do their best.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4399 on: March 19, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »
I am pretty sure all the collectors here do their best.

It's a learning process.  And we all fill in the blanks by now and again... even the old timers  ;)

Sorry, I just wanted an excuse to use that smiley.