Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838157 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #525 on: June 08, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
like I told another member:

It has to be something hi on my list. A friend had a Blue Dahlia insert that I was going to ask him about for instance, but he sold it the day before I got back to him. It can be aby combination of 1) Raymond Chandler titles (check imdb 2) harryhausen - I only need from certain 50s titles 3) Fritz Lang pre-1950 titles I need 4) certain gambling posters of which I have no list

I can probably put together a list of stuff I need
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:51:43 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #526 on: June 08, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »
Sadly, none of which is of any interest to me, so I don't collect it.  Oh well, I'll probably find the FB for $200 somewhere and will rub your face in it, Rich.

Love ya!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #527 on: June 08, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »
after Thierry finds his poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #529 on: June 18, 2010, 07:15:35 PM »
Free Shipping though

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #530 on: June 22, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »
Something weird happened with this Alamo Blade Runner poster.  The bidding went to $750 and then went back to $1 at the end.  What happened and is this poster worth $750?

guest8

« Reply #531 on: June 22, 2010, 09:52:52 PM »
The only way for it to drop is if the seller had canceled the bids on the auction .. Maybe something happened to the piece or he got a better offer off ebay .. ??

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #532 on: June 24, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »
Something weird happened with this Alamo Blade Runner poster.  The bidding went to $750 and then went back to $1 at the end.  What happened and is this poster worth $750?

Seller says he sold it for $1,015 "off Ebay." 

guest8

« Reply #533 on: June 24, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »
Cant say I wouldnt have done the same thing .. but it would have sucked to be the high bidder and have it "stolen" away like that

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #534 on: June 24, 2010, 10:16:02 AM »
So other than the Goldfinger is the metallic Blade Runner the most valuable Alamo poster?

It's just mind-blowing that sold for $50 just two years ago....

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #535 on: June 24, 2010, 12:24:17 PM »
Interesting.  This is the 2nd Tyler poster in less than a month to sell for $1,000.  The first one was the regular The Thing, a couple weeks ago.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #536 on: June 24, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
I think you have ti understand what might be happening with the prices on Alamo posters

When something starts getting collected, it commonly starts at a slow pace as collectors feel their way around in any particular "new" area such as Alamo posters.

Well, you get collectors who suddenly start wanting all of them, and they begin to compete, slowly driving up prices. Then at some point, two or more of the collectors with deep pockets (well, usually deep) starts getting real excited and begin driving things up very fast as they get the emotional part of collecting (I gotta have it.. I gotta have it.. I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW!!!!!!!) and at that point, any rational thoughts that were earlier attached to what they have to pay gets thrown out the window and the concept of "if other people are willing to pay such a price, I have to be willing to pay an even higher price and the prices the other collectors want to pay shows that the sky is the limit because there is price support!"

You see that happen with "new" posters that seem to be scarce or in high demand, like Brokeback Mountain posters were. (not comparing them to Alamos, which are way better posters)

Then you have to add the clear fact that #1) there are limited numbers of the posters and #2) increasing numbers of collectors.

So you have all of the pertinent factors which drive a market present at one time. I don't know what will happen in the future (whether Alamo posters will see continued price support). But it is a possibility they will.

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #537 on: June 24, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
Excellent analysis, Rich.
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #538 on: June 24, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »
Excellent analysis, Rich.

Like his ego needs to be stroked  :D
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #539 on: June 24, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
Rich is an expert at bullshit, but from time to time, a stroke of genius runs through his brain, and I, for one, believe it is important to mention it.

;D
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #540 on: June 24, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »
Damn, it was a budget-crushing night at Emovie but I vastly improved my B1, quad, and 30x40 collections. Anybody else get anything cool?

That Grenoble was DEFINITELY the coolest poster of the night - went for $160:

Fallen- show us what ya got!!!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #541 on: June 24, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
I saw you get that Hurt Locker...I would have hurt your budget more but I wanted something later on.

I didnt notice the American Splendor....damn!...

You had a very nice night Mel.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #542 on: June 24, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
Nice ones, Mel.  The Super Fly kicks ass. 

I scored a few nice B1s and 30x40s from Bruce tonight  ;D.  To the members who were under-bidders on the B1s, sorry about out-bidding you at the last second, I have been waiting to "pull the trigger" on these posters for a while.  I didn't even realize the grand total until a few minutes after I won the last one, but I am definitely happy with the purchases, and I think I got some good deals  :D.  The Tarantino posters will definitely make me feel a little kewler, and I am surprised the Moonrunners didn't sell for more money.  That poster is sweet  :D.
Photos courtesy of emovieposter.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #543 on: June 24, 2010, 10:11:16 PM »
I didn't get much today. 

I own a couple "Jasmine" B2s, but I always wanted the B1 (you know, because Zhang Ziyi is so goddamn hot!) and this different version of "Kurosawa's Dreams" for my Spielberg collection.  I also own a few B2s and B1s for that title, but not this particular one.  One brick at a time, as they say.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #544 on: June 24, 2010, 10:12:56 PM »
BTW, I know that Holiday got a bunch of stuff too, so between all of us, it looks like Bruce's clientele is on APF.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #545 on: June 24, 2010, 10:17:02 PM »
BTW, I know that Holiday got a bunch of stuff too, so between all of us, it looks like Bruce's clientele is on APF.

T

You two are giving him a lot of free advertising too....Maybe he should cut you guys in  :P

guest8

« Reply #546 on: June 24, 2010, 10:20:16 PM »
LOL .. Mel is calling me out ! :P As some of you may know .. Ive had my eye out for this piece for a couple years now .. Ive seen it around a little but it was priced up around $400+ .. Im glad I held off because thanks to Mel I picked it up for $100 tonight .. BUT!!! WhoTF is DirkMoody!!??? You cost me an extra $18 !!! :P

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #547 on: June 24, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »
Grats Fallen on a very nice poster. That is not an easy one to find and at that price either. Grats Neo, you got some nice QT stuff for a good price. Mel, that Hurt Locker poster for the price is bad ass! Congrats all around guys.

Chad

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #548 on: June 24, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »
Thanks, Chad.  Your comment about what you said in a previous post, that Tarantino posters are part of the cool side of films, crossed my mind, and I listened to my gut instinct which said "I have to bid on those."  :D  But I still think Star Wars posters are cool also, and there are a couple on my want list that I will most likely have to shell out some fairly serious dough for, despite the fact that many think they are not quite as cool as Tarantino films :D.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #549 on: June 24, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »
I think you have ti understand what might be happening with the prices on Alamo posters

When something starts getting collected, it commonly starts at a slow pace as collectors feel their way around in any particular "new" area such as Alamo posters.

Well, you get collectors who suddenly start wanting all of them, and they begin to compete, slowly driving up prices. Then at some point, two or more of the collectors with deep pockets (well, usually deep) starts getting real excited and begin driving things up very fast as they get the emotional part of collecting (I gotta have it.. I gotta have it.. I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW!!!!!!!) and at that point, any rational thoughts that were earlier attached to what they have to pay gets thrown out the window and the concept of "if other people are willing to pay such a price, I have to be willing to pay an even higher price and the prices the other collectors want to pay shows that the sky is the limit because there is price support!"

You see that happen with "new" posters that seem to be scarce or in high demand, like Brokeback Mountain posters were. (not comparing them to Alamos, which are way better posters)

Then you have to add the clear fact that #1) there are limited numbers of the posters and #2) increasing numbers of collectors.

So you have all of the pertinent factors which drive a market present at one time. I don't know what will happen in the future (whether Alamo posters will see continued price support). But it is a possibility they will.

Orrrrrr...

You have seller(s) and buyer(s) playing games.  There was another auction for the same Blade Runner Variant that ended a day before at $900+, but that one had been bid up to over $1800, before a bid retraction.  Funny thing though, the retracted bid never became the high bidder, so why retract a non-winning bid in the first place?  Not to mention, if you were the high bidder and someone pushed up your bid to double the selling price, then you would probably be pissed that someone outed your bid.  

She-nan-i-gans...