Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837050 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4300 on: March 06, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
And will that buyer be bummed when he/she ever looks at or compares their $100.00 purchase to how the poster is supposed to look.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4301 on: March 07, 2013, 02:45:53 AM »
Mike.. two things

1) a poster of this kind, which can be found if you're patient, isn't worth buying in lower grade

2) it is more difficult to restore modern-era poster with the gloss.

just wait for a nice copy and don't collect like a voracious bear who's been in hibernation and hasn't eaten for 6 months

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4302 on: March 07, 2013, 03:26:19 AM »
tell me if it was worth spending $1 on that poster.

It looks like the south end of a northbound horse.  But to ask if its worth spending $1?  I would never spend a dollar to add that poster to my collection.  However, as evidenced by that auction, at $1, it would probably yield a 10,000% return on investment. Even if it "only" went for $50, that's still a 5000% return.  Now, I know you are anti-poster selling T, but you do that enough times and you can finance a pretty nice poster.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:27:10 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4303 on: March 07, 2013, 03:42:19 AM »
Actually, this poster is much rarer than Rich states, especially if you want it rolled.  I bought a couple for $300 in 2004 in absolute mint rolled condition and I haven't seen more than one a year since, if at all.  I usually don't care about rolled vs folded, but because of its dark colors, it is one poster you want to buy rolled.  Even if you linenback it, the folds are hard to hide because of the gloss.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4304 on: March 07, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »
Mike.. two things
1) a poster of this kind, which can be found if you're patient, isn't worth buying in lower grade
2) it is more difficult to restore modern-era poster with the gloss.

All great advice that I need to follow more often.
re: 1) Patience, patience, patience. I keep grinding that into my brain. And I never try to settle, I always try to find the best pieces that I can afford. In this case it was a spur of the moment find and a lack of research on my part to actually see how faded it was. Afterwards I was actually having non-buyers relief. :)
re: 2) makes sense and having never had resto done, I think I'm fooling myself as to the cost. besides, I prefer the paper be 'pure', if possible, so again, patience for a nice piece is key.

just wait for a nice copy and don't collect like a voracious bear who's been in hibernation and hasn't eaten for 6 months

LOL Have you been watching my incoming mail?!?!?! Seriously, you just described my recent activity. I'm using the excuse "but I'm trying to catch up for lost time". ;)
Witty signature goes here.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4305 on: March 07, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
Actually, this poster is much rarer than Rich states, especially if you want it rolled.  I bought a couple for $300 in 2004 in absolute mint rolled condition and I haven't seen more than one a year since, if at all.  I usually don't care about rolled vs folded, but because of its dark colors, it is one poster you want to buy rolled.  Even if you linenback it, the folds are hard to hide because of the gloss.

T

That was part of the reason for my jump, but at the cost of my usual condition and valuation research.
I agree about desiring rolled for darker colored items. There are 2 on my list right now that I've restrained myself from buying folded because of this (that I know I can obtain rolled).
Thanks for the advice!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4306 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
Here's an example of one that Dario restored. The poster had also been folded (as issued) then later rolled. Looks wonderful when all was said and done!  thumbup

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4307 on: March 07, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »
Wow, that's looks awesome. The colors on that are amazing.
That one in the auction must have spent a summer out on the beach. lol

I do have a poster bought long ago in need of resto - only 1 I can think of in my collection. I plan on hitting up Dario at some point to restore it. Need to dig it out first.
Thanks for all the pics and advice!

Mirosae

« Reply #4308 on: March 07, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
All great advice that I need to follow more often.
re: 1) Patience, patience, patience.

Mike, likewise here, patience, paticence, patience is what I need. tho I do wait for sometimes... 3 seconds? 2 ? 1? I want it now!! :)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4309 on: March 07, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »
LOL Have you been watching my incoming mail?!?!?! Seriously, you just described my recent activity. I'm using the excuse "but I'm trying to catch up for lost time". ;)

no Mike.. it is the usual road a new collector takes. You've never seen it before, so everything is new. Take time to learn & discover

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4310 on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
Here's an example of one that Dario restored. The poster had also been folded (as issued) then later rolled. Looks wonderful when all was said and done!  thumbup

clap clap

Not bad.  Dario is the best out there, though, and the best can accomplish miracles.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4311 on: March 07, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »
no Mike.. it is the usual road a new collector takes. You've never seen it before, so everything is new. Take time to learn & discover

Sad thing is I was an active collector about 10 years ago. I've been on a very long hiatus for various reasons, thus the 'making up for lost time' remark. It'll wear off. :)
I'll be the first to admit, though, that based on some of my questions and remarks lately you wouldn't know it. Guess I've been away from it too long and need to get back into the correct mindset. Right now I'm like a 35 year old kid in a candy store - I know better, but I eat it all anyways.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:14:43 PM by pratschm »

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4312 on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »
Speaking of post auction analysis...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281067262798?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

What an amazing score @ $25 bucks a piece..you have to read the description

In the ebay listing there was no photo of this in the lot of 20 items...imagine the surprise when this showed up

not bad for $25 bucks
Tait

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4313 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »

not bad for $25 bucks
Buying for $26..let me know  ;)

Stew
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:04:19 PM by stewart boyle »

Bruce

« Reply #4314 on: March 07, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
Can you tell the winning bidder REALLY wanted this from this bid history?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/BiddingHistory.taf?_function=history&sort=11&Item=2891357

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #4315 on: March 07, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/BiddingHistory.taf?_function=history&sort=11&Item=2891357

Yes - that's why I pulled out.

Mark

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4316 on: March 07, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
Yes - that's why I pulled out.

Mark

That's nice of you :)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #4317 on: March 07, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »

clap clap

Thanks, that's mine :).

And yes, Dario did a remarkable job. I have it hanging up in our loft and it looks beautiful.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4318 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »

All I see is emotional bidding which is never a good thing...
Chris

FightClub12

« Reply #4319 on: March 07, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4320 on: March 07, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
All I see is emotional bidding which is never a good thing...

To be fair, that item is:

A) on the uber cult movies of all time list
B) a stupid rare re-release poster that I've NEVER seen before
C) an image that shares the original soundtrack artwork puts the other english language posters to shame
C) a rolled one from the 70s

The way you are describing "emotional bidding" sounds like bidding on an item more than you know it to be worth (ala Jaws1975).  Call it esoteric, call it excitement, call it what you will, but this was an anomaly that we'll likely not see again...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4321 on: March 07, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
Now here is a WTF...

Mummy S2 litho direct from the printers: $425
http://www.jackgallery.com/page.php?page=product&type=collection&set=&ID=&sortBy=&artistID=&productTypeID=1&collectionID=8&PGNUM=3&artworkID=119&subtype=

Mummy S2 litho from eMovie: $750
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2891390

That is my definition of emotional bidding.  You didn't do your homework and you got caught up in the heat of the battle... and you'll be feeling it in the morning. 

Bruce

« Reply #4322 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:35 PM »
Charlie thought this was overpriced at $338.

What is it at THIS price?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2891518

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4323 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »
C) a rolled unfolded one from the 70s

Now here is a WTF...

Mummy S2 litho direct from the printers: $425
http://www.jackgallery.com/page.php?page=product&type=collection&set=&ID=&sortBy=&artistID=&productTypeID=1&collectionID=8&PGNUM=3&artworkID=119&subtype=

Mummy S2 litho from eMovie: $750
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2891390

That is my definition of emotional bidding.  You didn't do your homework and you got caught up in the heat of the battle... and you'll be feeling it in the morning. 

The $750 has additionally a small pp

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4324 on: March 07, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
To be fair, that item is:

A) on the uber cult movies of all time list
B) a stupid rare re-release poster that I've NEVER seen before
C) an image that shares the original soundtrack artwork puts the other english language posters to shame
C) a rolled one from the 70s

The way you are describing "emotional bidding" sounds like bidding on an item more than you know it to be worth (ala Jaws1975).  Call it esoteric, call it excitement, call it what you will, but this was an anomaly that we'll likely not see again...

Humans (I assume it was a human?) have many different emotions ;)
Chris