Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837729 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4250 on: February 28, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
But to be fair, (aside from the fact the $4.1K price was high) your desire to collect only non linen may not be a hard and fast rule for other collectors.

never said otherwise David. I stopped buying linenbacked posters for the most part due to being a "purist" and from a lack of interest in restored materials, which is a hold-over from being in the comics biz for years where restoration is 1) rampant and 2) often not disclosed. It's just a personal preference. I've had many opportunities to buy a Blue Dahlia 1sh on linen over the last 20 years.. I wouldn't do it. I'm a patient collector and I also have a perspective that "I would like to own it, but if I never do it doesn't really matter anyway". It's pragmatism. I waited until a copy that was not backed or restored came up for sale at Heritage again just last November and I won that copy. I can wait for an unrestored copy of DI, and if I never get one.. it's no skin off my nose.

Keep in mind, I completely understand that sometimes you have no choice due to a rarity. If you want a Dracula 1sh from 1931, a minority of them are raw copies. On the other hand, if a poster is not rare, wait for a raw copy. Down the road, raw will be worth more than restored on that kind of poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4251 on: February 28, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
T,

I had emailed that seller, and he said he also had the moyenne size, as well for this title. He sold it last fall, though.

He said he bought them years ago, from a seller, when he was in France.

Those are not easy to come by, for sure.  It took me a whole year to assemble the entire collection of Noël's Hammers (all folded, mint condition).  I really like them.  The large red Mummy has become the most elusive one of the lot.  I had to use all by connections to get that one, and bribe.  The two Brides of Dracula are Koutachys, but they belong in the series, IMO.

T
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:15:02 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4252 on: February 28, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »
never said otherwise David. I stopped buying linenbacked posters for the most part due to being a "purist" and from a lack of interest in restored materials, which is a hold-over from being in the comics biz for years where restoration is 1) rampant and 2) often not disclosed. It's just a personal preference. I've had many opportunities to buy a Blue Dahlia 1sh on linen over the last 20 years.. I wouldn't do it. I'm a patient collector and I also have a perspective that "I would like to own it, but if I never do it doesn't really matter anyway". It's pragmatism. I waited until a copy that was not backed or restored came up for sale at Heritage again just last November and I won that copy. I can wait for an unrestored copy of DI, and if I never get one.. it's no skin off my nose.

Keep in mind, I completely understand that sometimes you have no choice due to a rarity. If you want a Dracula 1sh from 1931, a minority of them are raw copies. On the other hand, if a poster is not rare, wait for a raw copy. Down the road, raw will be worth more than restored on that kind of poster

Never suggested you did (say otherwise)

I understand your thought process however my logic (flawed as it may be), says says I'd rather own that (rare/hard-to-get) poster now and if it's on linen so be it. If my preference is not on linen when one comes up in the future, grab it and then flip the linen-backed. Rule of thumb suggests rare linen will increase in value just as much as non-linen.

Each to his own, whose to say who is right, I was certainly not suggesting you were not...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:27:41 PM by Silhouette »
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4253 on: February 28, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »
........ I'd rather own that (rare/hard-to-get) poster now and if it's on linen so be it.

I have and will do so on rarities. When I got my Murder My Sweet half sheets the first time, the Style-A was paperbacked. I displayed the style-B (it's right next to my desk where I am sitting now where I can reach out and touch it) and the A is in a drawer. The half sheets are among the more difficult posters to get on the title. Later, when an unbacked style-A was offered, I bought that to replace the paperbacked one. Unfortunately, someone spit a loogie at the damn thing in it's past & you can see it, so I'll probably have to replace that in the future - if I can! I now have 3 of the 5 half sheets I've ever seen, so I'm not holding my breath on finding another and at $1000+ a pop, I might make other choices.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4254 on: February 28, 2013, 10:08:08 PM »
Spider's Web daybill sold for $145 the second time around, less than 10 days after the first copy sold for $320 even though 2 bidders who fought on the first one both bid this time around as well and still neither of them won.. First winning bidder just lost $175

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4255 on: February 28, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
Spider's Web daybill sold for $145 the second time around, less than 10 days after the first copy sold for $320 even though 2 bidders who fought on the first one both bid this time around as well and still neither of them won.. First winning bidder just lost $175

You know that's not how things work Rich.
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4256 on: February 28, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »
actually, that is most certainly how it works on some level Chris, especially with these older titles where the audience is shrinking and unlike modern posters where the audience is increasing. There are curves and valleys as well as peaks. But even for modern posters it happens.

I sold a Mighty Aprhodite DS Doorbell style for $89. in 2008. At that time, I had a few requests and sold others. When I auctioned my next copy however, several had already been sold on ebay & elsewhere and the price kept deteriorating and now it is a $3.00 poster because when there are none around, they go for alot, as more copies get sold in to short a period of time (and that time varies from one title to the next) and the market gets exposed (which usually means more are sold than the market has real buyers) prices either go up or down depending on the title. The next Dracula in the boat 1sh that comes up will not be priced against the $310,000 sale to DeLuca, it will be measured by the $143,000 sale more recently. That doesn't mean it will only be $143k, but it will be used as a measure. That measure devalued to some degree the $310,000 sale. Market affect

Star Wars is immune to devaluation it seems because it has a large, but if 100 copies of a Style-C are sold by auction in 2013, it will also tumble in price because there won't be 1000 people willing to pay top price.

also Chris, if you look at the bid histories, the 2nd & 3rd bidders last time were the 2nd & 3rd bidders this time, both of whom had bid well in excess of $145 last time. so even the likely bidders backed off - that is a bad sign. It means they also lack the confidence in the poster's price.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:32:22 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Charlie

« Reply #4257 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:36 PM »
Or you could look at it as the second guy saved $175...  Depends on how you look at it...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4258 on: February 28, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »
Or think about how much money the consignor made on two posters they probably thought they should throw away.
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4259 on: February 28, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
Or you could look at it as the second guy saved $175...  Depends on how you look at it...

the reality is in between. another copy in 4 weeks and see how far it tumbles then. That one will really have a negative impact

but to add again. the presence of the 2 underbidders from last time should really say it.. THEY are the most likely buyers, but their interest has obviously waned. It says alot.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:51:51 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4260 on: February 28, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
Or think about how much money the consignor made on two posters they probably thought they should throw away.

that is the opposite side of the coin
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:16:49 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4261 on: February 28, 2013, 10:57:36 PM »
The main issue is that just because you bought a poster for a set amount doesn't mean it is now automatically worth that amount.  You have to find a buyer willing to pay at least what you paid.

And whether 100 of a poster come on the market or 10 - if 100 of the poster exist somewhere and are put up for sale at any point the market WILL correct itself over time.  You are just seeing a more accelerated price correction that's all.

Obviously with your stockpile of Pulp Fictions you are playing it safe for your own best interests while YOU hold all those posters.  But once you've sold them all they will all be "in the market" and less and less scarce.  Of course by then you'll probably have washed your hands and maximized your sales.  But not every seller has 5+ years to slowly release an inventory of the same poster.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:58:47 PM by CSM »
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4262 on: February 28, 2013, 11:09:15 PM »
wait a second.. I think the Poster Police on this board would disagree with alot of what you said. You are correct that collectibles only have value when being sold (my Raymond Chandler collection may as well be worthless. I can't get a bank loan, and it's the last collection I will sell, presuming I don't just leave it to an institutional collection in my will), however what something has sold for in the past is a measure of value - at least within a certain market. What Christies gets in London has no meaning to the overall market, but when something is sold by the known poster dealers or auctioneers, that has meaning.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4263 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »
Obviously with your stockpile of Pulp Fictions you are playing it safe for your own best interests while YOU hold all those posters.  But once you've sold them all they will all be "in the market" and less and less scarce.  Of course by then you'll probably have washed your hands and maximized your sales.  But not every seller has 5+ years to slowly release an inventory of the same poster.

I only sell posters as the market can bear, or only as many as I can deal with. I don't have a general retail list available and I only do 15,000 listings via the auctions (a little less in 2013). I have garbage posters that I don't sell any faster or slower than I sell PF. But I'm also not the only person that has quantities of posters and I had to split the Miramax deal in half with a partner who did dump his into the market foolishly. He did everything foolishly though and has pretty much lost it all because of that, now being broke and out of business.

but more to the point, especially on rolled moderns, qty stock is very common except on the rarest posters because they generally print way more than ever get distributed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:15:42 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4264 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »

Great point, David.

Im sure that consignor is thinking the exact same thing, regardless.

;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4265 on: February 28, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »
Those are not easy to come by, for sure.  It took me a whole year to assemble the entire collection of Noël's Hammers (all folded, mint condition).  I really like them.  The large red Mummy has become the most elusive one of the lot.  I had to use all by connections to get that one, and bribe.  The two Brides of Dracula are Koutachys, but they belong in the series, IMO.

T

Good for you, T.

That's a fine looking collection, indeed!

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4266 on: February 28, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
They sure are nice. The red mummy I would have over all the others combined however.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4267 on: March 01, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
You can choose one out of those??.....mmm, I'd have the Dracula......both the Dracula's...........and the Mummy, er both the Mummy's.......and the Curse of the Werewolf, both again.......Well all of them. ;D

Very nice indeed T.. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #4268 on: March 01, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »
wait a second.. I think the Poster Police on this board would disagree with alot of what you said.

do we have a PPC? PoSTER pOliCE? ....or am I being really (......) here :-[

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:41:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4270 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
do we have a PPC? PoSTER pOliCE? ....or am I being really (......) here :-[

Poster Price Police actually ;)
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4271 on: March 02, 2013, 12:56:46 AM »
Poster Price Police actually ;)

The nomenclature seems to depend on if you are a dealer or a collector and on your weight.

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4272 on: March 02, 2013, 01:04:57 AM »
Scrap Iron is a great poster...this collection of boxing material is really excellent..there has been several lobby cards I've never seen before that were auctioned by this seller..kind of a shame to break it up really..I have done some research and there are no recent results for some of these pieces so ..these almost certainly have been in a private collection for decades...sigh...I thought about this piece...but..I had to suck it up and get the two best cards he has offered so far..anyone want to guess what they were???
Tait

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4273 on: March 02, 2013, 02:47:52 AM »
absolutely seller fedexit is selling a fantastic single-subject and the Scrap Iron poster a great image for the subject matter. I had a snipe setup, but I didn't win that poster.

I was collecting boxing as part of my gambling collection, but after getting a certain amount of material and only interested in that sliver dealing with gambling, I've pretty much stopped adding the boxing material, though a poster of this nature is a great representative piece. I'm pretty sure I know exactly who won it.. I'll have to ask him.

it's a great boxing poster and there won't be many posters that top it

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4274 on: March 02, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »
Unfortunately, someone spit a loogie at the damn thing...

Correction.
One doesn't 'spit a loogie."
One 'horks up a loogie.'

C'mon, Rich.  You were once a New Yawker.
 wynk