Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837155 times)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4225 on: February 27, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
Thing comes up for sale an awful lot, I would think too often to be a pre WW2 poster.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4226 on: February 27, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »
Double Indemnity, linenbacked and lightly restored OS. The BIN price was $4600.00 but a best offer (unpublished) was accepted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Indemnity-1946-One-Sheet-Movie-Poster-on-Linen-Barbara-Stanwyck-1sh-/271143387659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f2167c20b&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here are oversized Pre- and post- restore pics:

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #4227 on: February 27, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
Linenbacking caused it to fade?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4228 on: February 27, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
That was the first thing I noticed, too.

It appears to be more washed out. Just a difference in the lighting?  Edw. G Robinson's image has gone from being slightly flesh tinted to completely black and white on the backed version.

Dario, could incorrect or over aggressive washing actually cause fading to happen?

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4229 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »
What a horrible restoration job.
Wish people had to mark their work, as whomever did that job would be on my "avoid at all costs" list.

First thing I noticed was how much more was painted in at the centerfold then appeared to be missing in the original photo, then seeing the top crossfold where it was a slight fold separation and gonbs of paint applied, to the bottom where the not-matching-color-at-all purple was applied to not only the lettering but also the completely different color vertical fold in-between the letting and Stanwyck's dress.

I don't believe the fading is a difference in lighting at all, but instead of using a water-based bath for cleaning, they used a solvent that faded the inks.

Took a very nice looking poster with some minor defects and really messed it up.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4230 on: February 27, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
The color of the title font has actually slightly changed, too, going from a more pink-purple to a deeper lavender. And how could the touch-up color that was used on the title be so off?

Was this restorer color blind? 

A real shame.  :'(

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4231 on: February 27, 2013, 02:06:02 PM »
I have to agree with Sean - that's just brutal!

Oh and BTW it sold for $4,100 so $500 off...
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4232 on: February 27, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »
I have to agree with Sean - that's just brutal!

Oh and BTW it sold for $4,100 so $500 off...

How can you tell the accepted price?

Bruce

« Reply #4233 on: February 27, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
It's also quite possible it is not the same poster.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4234 on: February 27, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
If you look close, you can see where the same cross fold splits existed (near the tip of the gun, and next to MacMurray's forehead) and were gobbed over with excess paint, when "restored."

What is interesting is what appears to be some kind of oval-shaped stain on the post restore image-- at the lower right corner. It overlaps the pink background and the white border. Yet this same stain is not seen on the pre-restore image. It has that look like when oil soaks thru paper.

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4235 on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
It's also quite possible it is not the same poster.

Pretty sure it is the same poster, not only from the restoration covering up the mentioned defects, but also the attempted cover-up of the diagonal mark on the poster between Stanwyck and MacMurray's faces.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4236 on: February 27, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »
You can also see the small black mark/hole a few inches above the "R" in Paramount on both pictures.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4237 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:33 PM »
For poster buyers only...

To see accepted prices still - pull up the listing then change the .com in the address url to .ca, sure it will not last long.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4238 on: February 27, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
I had posted this, when active, in the mid auction thread. A French 1P for Horror Of Dracula (1958). The seller had it listed for $5500.00 / obo.

He took a best offer, accepting $2K less and selling it for $3500.00

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4239 on: February 27, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »
Pretty sure it is the same poster, not only from the restoration covering up the mentioned defects, but also the attempted cover-up of the diagonal mark on the poster between Stanwyck and MacMurray's faces.

I don't see any Belgian text at the bottom.. it must be the same poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4208

« Reply #4240 on: February 27, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
For poster buyers only...

To see accepted prices still - pull up the listing then change the .com in the address url to .ca, sure it will not last long.

I think eBay should display the actual selling price through "Best Offer" but apparently lots of sellers complained about it.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4241 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »
here is what's ridiculous about that DI poster restoration
and I mean aisde from the buyer paying too much at $4100 anyway

I'm a likely buyer for this poster, in unrestored condition, but of course at a fair price.
I would buy that poster if it was priced right unrestored but I wouldn't buy  that restored poster for my collection at any price.
(aside from I'm not looking even for a nice copy restored. I only want an unrestored copy)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4242 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
here is what's ridiculous about that DI poster restoration
and I mean aisde from the buyer paying too much at $4100 anyway

I'm a likely buyer for this poster, in unrestored condition, but of course at a fair price.
I would buy that poster if it was priced right unrestored but I wouldn't buy  that restored poster for my collection at any price.
(aside from I'm not looking even for a nice copy restored. I only want an unrestored copy)

But to be fair, (aside from the fact the $4.1K price was high) your desire to collect only non linen may not be a hard and fast rule for other collectors.
David

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #4243 on: February 27, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »

#1 I was going to bid on that poster, but I'm not positive it is real

#2 what Peter actually believes is that it is the first poster printed for the title, however I do not know anyone who agrees with him. His "evidence" is nothing more than print ads and ais completely anecdotal. There is no solid evidence of what posters are first 

. this window card, every one I know who I have discussed this with believes  is first release and Bruce sold one or two also as first release, and the only person I know who disagrees with that is Peter.

this is an early 40's release and again, Peter is the only person I know who disagrees

this poster is a conundrum and could be anything from 1930s-50s. I've never seen an authentic one with a border, though I have seen reprints from 1968

the true facts are that no one really knows what order original 1930s posters were released and I know several people who believe the window card is the first poster and the one sheet came later, but within a first release time period. No one really knows, no pressbooks or photos of period theatres have ever been found though I do not know if Bruce has a pressbook in his collection (if he did, it would have the answer). Another person to ask about a pressbook might be Alan Levine No ads showing any of the exact images have been seen and what most of us believe is that there are numerous first release posters printed at various points in Dwain Esper's travels to different towns for his roadshow performances

if the poster that sold on ebay is authentic, that was a very good price.

Way to totally misstate what I "believe", Rich.

Where do print ads come from?  Pressbooks.  If there are print ads available then we *do* have evidence (albeit circumstantial) of the original pressbooks.  All evidence indicates that "Marihuana" started in the west, then worked it's way east through 1936. 

I now know that 'your' window card is also from '36, but later in the year, so yes, it is first release but second printing.

Why you're saying that I don't believe the long haired version is from the '40s is a mystery since that's what I suggested to *you*, despite your being convinced it was '30s.

That said, whoever got that "Marihuana" got a great deal.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4244 on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
your desire to collect only non linen may not be a hard and fast rule for other collectors.

Exactly.

Numbers dont lie only liars do.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4245 on: February 27, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »

Exactly.

Numbers dont lie only liars do.

;D

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4246 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »

Way to totally misstate what I "believe", Rich.

Where do print ads come from?  Pressbooks.  If there are print ads available then we *do* have evidence (albeit circumstantial) of the original pressbooks.  All evidence indicates that "Marihuana" started in the west, then worked it's way east through 1936. 

I now know that 'your' window card is also from '36, but later in the year, so yes, it is first release but second printing.

Why you're saying that I don't believe the long haired version is from the '40s is a mystery since that's what I suggested to *you*, despite your being convinced it was '30s.

That said, whoever got that "Marihuana" got a great deal.

--Peter

Peter,

I happened to trip across your web page about this poster a while back. Great information and a fascinating read.

Thanks for doing so much research and publishing your information online.

It's so helpful for anyone to be able to rely on proper information, especially when looking to buy or locate a version of this poster.

cheers

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4247 on: February 28, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »
Peter, you are incorrect in what I'm saying and also what I said in our email conversations.

no one, including you, has any real proof in what order any of the original posters were printed. No one has any evidence that Pacific Show Print posters were first, second, or 100th. The proof doesn't exist. When I said pressbooks and ads, it means pressbooks or ad sheets, not newspaper printed ads. No advertising materials exist or are known by anyone I have ever spoken to. Therefore it is impossible to flatly state that PSP or other posters are before other posters. The variety of images even for what people believe are original release items is no help, and like a number of other people I know, we do not agree with your declaration that the PSP poster or any other is the #1 from which sprang the rest. Your research is cool, but there just isn't enough to make the statement that the PSP poster is first. We don't know, and will probably never know as there is a pretty good likelihood that the advertising materials (pressbooks or ad sheets) no not exist and may have never existed for an exploitation film of this nature.

The loing hair version I said in our emails was sometime between 1939-early or mid 40s and no later. You said it was 1950s and I disagreed.

when teh day comes you find the exact images - not near images - published anywhere, I'll listen to that. Until then, all there is in conjecture and conjecture doesn't win prizes.

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4248 on: February 28, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »

$5,500 is obscene for this poster.  $3,500 is more like it, but still too high, IMO.  Although this one is in great condition.  This is a great poster, for sure.  The photograph's angle doesn't convey its beauty.

T
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:00:15 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4249 on: February 28, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
T,

I had emailed that seller, and he said he also had the moyenne size, as well for this title. He sold it last fall, though.

He said he bought them years ago, from a seller, when he was in France.

-Jeff