Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838263 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4050 on: February 10, 2013, 05:03:29 PM »
I agree with T on this one. Always snipe from auctions and buy from dealers only as a last resort.  

I'm not anti-dealer and they're just trying to make a living but why pay more than you have to?  Even "reasonable" dealers charge 2-3 times typical Ebay auction prices. And typically auction prices are 50% higher on Heritage and Emovie, although of course you get better service from them and can combine purchases.

Main problem with buying from Ebay is the poor shipping and handling.  Send them a link to the MPC "Shipping" page to put them on notice that you expect and demand competent shipping and you'll get better results:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/Shipping_Posters.html
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:04:42 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4051 on: February 10, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »
I agree with T on this one. Always snipe from auctions and buy from dealers only as a last resort.  

Mel, isn't this the 2nd time in a row you agree with me?  What's going on in the word?

Another very smart comment, BTW.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4052 on: February 10, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »
Nice section on shipping, Mel! thumbup I'll need to make sure I use that in the future.

The thrill of the snipe is so awesome. I don't use any automated snipers and such. I like to be present when I take down other bidders.  ;D
And I totally agree - why pay more than you have to? That means less to spend for more posters!!!
Witty signature goes here.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4053 on: February 10, 2013, 07:32:09 PM »
The thrill of the snipe is so awesome. I don't use any automated snipers and such. I like to be present when I take down other bidders.  ;D

Agreed.  There is nothing more fun than to see idiots bid and overbid each others and then show up and win it all.  But I won't do it in the middle of the night, or in the middle of dinner with friends, or in the middle of sex.  Sniping programs are great then.  Plus, since I always bid within 3 seconds of the end of an item, I want to make sure that I (or my internet service) don't fuck up on some important items, so sniping gives me peace of mind.

T
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:33:09 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4054 on: February 10, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »
or in the middle of sex.  

Stupid Frenchman, always thinking about his wife...

The other day I was having sex with my wife, I paused just briefly. My wife looked up at me and said softly "Darling, why have you stopped", I replied lovingly, "Oh nothing, I just noticed you are reading a different book this week..."
David

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4055 on: February 10, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »
Funny!
My Personal Collection

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4056 on: February 10, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
@Silhouette:  rofl1 from me,  :-\ from the wife.

@T: Agreed. There are some times that I can't or won't be able to bid, but for me I find that that works as a nice spending regulator. :)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4058 on: February 10, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »
El Brendel is in it so... Louie?
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4059 on: February 11, 2013, 12:03:25 AM »
What the hell is "borstbuster.com"?
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4060 on: February 11, 2013, 12:08:25 AM »

Just a gimmick name possibly to stop copying, the domain is not registered, using and tld (.com.au, .ca etc)
David

Mirosae

« Reply #4061 on: February 11, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »
That's a fine looking poster Matias :-\ . Nice.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4062 on: February 11, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »

I wondered the same thing.
First thing I imagined was a group of 4 scientists, traveling in an old ambulance catching... Ron Borsts :o
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #4063 on: February 11, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
El Brendel is in it so... Louie?

Nope, and way the hell out of my price range.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4064 on: February 12, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »
I'm curious about this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COOL-HAND-LUKE-MOVIE-POSTER-1967-27X40-1-SHEET-PAUL-NEWMAN-/271151004878?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=8NwCulDj7%252BDX0NQdc4%252F83rmrwf0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It was for a "Cool Hand Luke" 1-sheet, listed as original, but described as 27x40 (twice) and condition "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item". Also, the image (which appears stock) shows crop marks and when I emailed the seller asking for a pic he claimed "The poster is exactly as pictured. It was found in one of the theaters that I am contracted in." So much conflicting info here.

Given the price it was hovering around within the final seconds, I did jump in the pool, figuring the cost of return shipping was worth the gamble, but ultimately lost. Just curious what you all think. Anyone ever bought from the seller (papi139)?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4065 on: February 12, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
Sure looks like a reprint, especially if shipped rolled.
He also has it listed under 'current releases?'
Gotta be a reprint.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4066 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
Listings with stock photos .. could be a gamble, depending on the seller.

His description of its size (27x40), listing it as "brand new" and unwillingness to send you a pic of the actual poster, are red flags, IMHO.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4067 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:49 AM »
That's what I figured as well. Looks like the 27x40 reprint is easy to come by. My saving grace was going to be the image he used with the crop marks. Those don't usually show up on repro's, do they? If so, I would have been screwed.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4068 on: February 12, 2013, 12:45:21 AM »
Are you meaning the registration marks in the 4 corners? 

Yup, those marks would be on any good reproduction, as repros are made from a scanned or photographed original OS or digital file.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4069 on: February 12, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »
Yes, the registration marks. Ugh, didn't know that but makes sense. Thanks.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4070 on: February 12, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Been shying away from posting anything on that seller, but they have listed SEVERAL suspect posters over the past few months. They also sell original new releases, but just be careful if you buy from them I suppose would be my advise.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4071 on: February 12, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
I noticed that as well, Dale. I was digging through his finished stuff as well as feedback and saw the same trend - new stuff with an odd ball out every once in a while. Last night was the Cool Hand Luke along with a Caddyshack - no pics, just stock photo. Like I said, when I inquired he stated "The poster is exactly as pictured. It was found in one of the theaters that I am contracted in." I wasn't able to find an exact repro in my Google searches that matched the image he had posted, but his image looked to be never folded and all the images I trust show folded (eg, Bruce's archives). Oh well, (e)bayer beware.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4072 on: February 12, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »
Pretty good deal on a Godzilla three sheet, misplaced in the international section:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4074 on: February 12, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Still don't know about that GWTW - but if it was somebody here that I like then I hope it's real!

And that Godzilla had like a billion watchers so it was no secret even if in wrong section...
Chris