Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838192 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4000 on: February 03, 2013, 01:23:08 PM »
Sorry Chris, I saw your signal after I posted... :-\

And in my defence, I've been fighting with a Honda CRV for two days, yesterday it was laughing it's arse off at me,
but as of an hour ago, it's back on the road ready for action.... I now know why I've stopped doing cars up... moron1

Mind Jeff was on the ball as always, though he still can't find me a photo of a 35 release Bride of Frankenstein Quad... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4001 on: February 03, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »
Sorry Chris, I saw your signal after I posted... :-\

And in my defence, I've been fighting with a Honda CRV for two days, yesterday it was laughing it's arse off at me,
but as of an hour ago, it's back on the road ready for action.... I now know why I've stopped doing cars up... moron1

Mind Jeff was on the ball as always, though he still can't find me a photo of a 35 release Bride of Frankenstein Quad... ;)

But I might have a handle on a 1963 THE RAVEN quad, mein Herr.  8) 

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4002 on: February 03, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
Shhhh, PM ME.... :D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4003 on: February 03, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »
Shhhh, PM ME.... :D

"All in good time, my pretty, all in good time."

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4004 on: February 03, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
 ;D

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #4005 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
The seller says it's 20x40 in the listing so I dunno...

So which one of you won this auction???

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4006 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Wolverine posters...ended quite near to each other, one went for loads, one for less. I wonder why...international shipping on one perhaps?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181072897717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

v

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190791883768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4007 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:15 PM »

1916 "The Americano" goes for $3,585.  Supposedly found "in an attic." The seller has another one for sale but it has 49 watchers, so it will not go cheap either.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4008 on: February 05, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »
If truly "found in an attic" it's in awesome condition
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4009 on: February 05, 2013, 11:26:24 PM »
If truly "found in an attic" it's in awesome condition

Time machine.
David

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4010 on: February 05, 2013, 11:29:55 PM »
I think it said they were found in the attic of a movie theater that was being either renovated (or torn down).  The seller is from a small town in MN, but he said they weren't from his town.  He also alluded to the fact that he had more posters to sell... and I don't doubt him judging by the multiple copies of some he has already listed.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4011 on: February 05, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »
I think it said they were found in the attic of a movie theater that was being either renovated (or torn down).  The seller is from a small town in MN, but he said they weren't from his town.  He also alluded to the fact that he had more posters to sell... and I don't doubt him judging by the multiple copies of some he has already listed.

WHEN will something like this happen for me?! 

:'(
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4012 on: February 06, 2013, 12:02:57 AM »
WHEN will something like this happen for me?! 

:'(

I say again. Time machine
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4013 on: February 06, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »
I say again. Time machine

Speaking of that I actually saw a full blown BTTF Delorean clone in a parking lot by my work today.  Very random but also very awesome.  I almost crashed I was so stunned!
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4014 on: February 06, 2013, 01:30:15 AM »
the seller has already lisrted other material. Clearly the geographic location up there in the cold has kept these posters in like-new condition

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4015 on: February 06, 2013, 02:45:20 AM »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #4016 on: February 06, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »

1916 "The Americano" goes for $3,585.  Supposedly found "in an attic.

It looks too perfect to me. I wouldn't go for this one. As much as I would DIE (hard) and KILL (Bill) for one like this  :-\.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4017 on: February 06, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
1916 "The Americano" goes for $3,585.  Supposedly found "in an attic.

It looks too perfect to me. I wouldn't go for this one. As much as I would DIE (hard) and KILL (Bill) for one like this  :-\.

Rosa, when I happened to come across this auction a couple days ago, I thought the same thing, at first look. For a 97 year old poster, the borders look so white. I would think that almost all paper of this age would tan, even slightly, as it ages. Being unused and in a dark place would slow this, but I, too, did wonder. I have, tho, seen other OS over the years from this time frame, that have appeared this pristine and clean looking, as well.

This seller has another OS as well as a 6 sheet for this title. I would be curious to know where these were found, in this attic? How were they stored when he found them? In a drawer, a box or filing cabinet? The facts of a find are always intriguing to me, too.  ;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #4018 on: February 06, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
Rosa, when I happened to come across this auction a couple days ago, I thought the same thing, at first look. For a 97 year old poster, the borders look so white. I would think that almost all paper of this age would tan, even slightly, as it ages. Being unused and in a dark place would slow this, but I, too, did wonder. I have, tho, seen other OS over the years from this time frame, that have appeared this pristine and clean looking, as well.

This seller has another OS as well as a 6 sheet for this title. I would be curious to know where these were found, in this attic? How were they stored when he found them? In a drawer, a box or filing cabinet? The facts of a find are always intriguing to me, too.  ;)

Good point Jeff. I agree we need to have all the facts. I just  have a "natural" disposition against pristine vintage posters. I don't know this seller.

Me always thinks eBay and atic discoveries  nono
....But...I do accept it could be the real one :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4019 on: February 06, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »
I have no doubts what he's got listed are all from the same find and all authentic.

They were just miraculously stored in the proper climate conditions!

But the safe way is the best way so to speak - asking and considering the right questions with a healthy dose of reality-based skepticism goes a long way towards protecting yourself when considering buying something!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4020 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »
Good point Jeff. I agree we need to have all the facts. I just  have a "natural" disposition against pristine vintage posters. I don't know this seller.

Me always thinks eBay and atic discoveries  nono
....But...I do accept it could be the real one :)

Here are is one other completed auction for four (4) 40x60's that were also said to be found behind a wall in an old movie theater in Smelterville, Idaho called The Piks. The most desired title of the lot was REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE. This, tho, is in need of some TLC and love. Not pristine in the least. And this looks to be a fine first sale, too, for this new seller.

The lot went for the opening bid of $999.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Unrestored-40-x-60-1955-Movie-Posters-James-Dean-More-/170984117049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cf729339&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

* thanks, B, for initially pointing this one out.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:39:57 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4021 on: February 06, 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
Damn this totally reminds me of the 40x60 Brekfast at Tiffany's debacle
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #4022 on: February 06, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
Here are is one other completed auction for four (4) 40x60's that were also said to be found behind a wall in an old movie theater in Smelterville, Idaho called The Piks. The most desired title of the lot was REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE. This, tho, is in need of some TLC and love. Not pristine in the least. And this looks to be a fine first sale, too, for this new seller.

The lot went for the opening bid of $999.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Unrestored-40-x-60-1955-Movie-Posters-James-Dean-More-/170984117049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cf729339&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

* thanks, B, for initially pointing this one out.

You see Jeff, I could trust this one. This poster looks better to me, :)  meaning I would then bother to ask all sort of  questions. But with the pristine ones, I normally run away... :-[

Mirosae

« Reply #4023 on: February 06, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »

But the safe way is the best way so to speak - asking and considering the right questions with a healthy dose of reality-based skepticism goes a long way towards protecting yourself when considering buying something!

Very well put. Nothing more to add :-X

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4024 on: February 07, 2013, 01:35:09 AM »
Use your detective skills albeit however small they are..the right side of the Americano one sheets, from a cursory glance even, show different and unique aspects of aging due to moisture, oxidation etc..Do you really think someone is intentionally reproducing and folding this specific title..and has only a couple..and reproduced a lonely A Sudden Gentleman os to throw you off..seriously?..
Simply spoken..besides the aging of the borders, the genuine and highly obvious Otis stone litho info, the obvious depth of staining in the credits, the closeups?? The period fold lines, the inconsistency of the dark ink .the depth of colors is actually unremarkable IF you have handled silent film one sheets and reached the realization that the printing quality of this period aided the lack of tonal deterioration..I have Otis stone litho Carter posters that are more vivid than you would believe..their condition is impeccable because they WERE NOT USED..considering the condition..if you were a Fairbanks collector.. Which I am not..these posters are a singular chance to get an early one sheet in impeccable condition..good luck upgrading on these..
Tait