Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2859166 times)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2251 on: March 22, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »
Wow, great Evil Dead poster.  If it is legit that is awesome.  I think the Aussie video poster used similar-ish chainsaw artwork, but it is a considerably smaller poster.  I've never seen this one before...

You mean this one?
Ves

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2252 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »
Yes, that looks like the one.  Do you know the dimensions on that Aussie poster?  And was it indeed used for the video release? 

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2253 on: March 22, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »
Yes, that looks like the one.  Do you know the dimensions on that Aussie poster?  And was it indeed used for the video release? 

That's why I asked.
If I recall it is the standard 13x30, on a thicker paper but was for the theatrical not video release as far as I know.

Ari?
Ves

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2254 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2255 on: March 22, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
yeah just a theatrical daybill, as to size, it might be a little off, but 13"x30" is close. I have one in my shed, but it will take a while to find it.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2256 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »
I checked on emovie...says 13x28.
Ves

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2257 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »

Do you know the size on this one Erik?  That might be the one I was thinking of...

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2258 on: March 22, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
thats aussie 1 sheet, also like the daybill I think from memory a little undersized. But close to 27"x41"
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2259 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »
Do you know the size on this one Erik?  That might be the one I was thinking of...

Per emovie, it says it measures 28" x 31 1/4" 

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:59:47 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2260 on: March 22, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
I do remember both are odd sized, but legit.
Aussie 1 sheet is particularly nice me thinks.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2261 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:07 PM »

By the way, did anyone see that rolle first printing SW?  Damn near a $1000!

No, any more info on this Matt? Sorry, haven't read around here in some time.

BTW, I personally do not think anyone has a clear handle on the order of SW printings...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2262 on: March 22, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
I don't have a link off hand, but in Dave's recent set of auctions he had a rolled 77/21-0 and it sold for $900-something.  Crazy stuff...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2263 on: March 22, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
Oh, gotcha.

I think Dave has drawn that before on that piece in said condition, if not even more. Regardless, I do not agree that there is 100% certainty that the -0 issue is the first printing. I have heard several sound arguments from folks around the hobby for over 30+ years that the funky text is without a doubt the first one...but in the end, who knows.

Lucas would know, he hasn't been busy since 1980, let's ask him.

I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2264 on: March 22, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
Sorry for the giant image, but this is the only thing I could find with the same artwork.  The image below is from a company that scans old VHS covers (cool shit by the way).  As you can see from the date, this cover is from a VHS put out in 1989.  I'm still not sure about this poster...

guest4185

« Reply #2265 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »
That Alamo poster does nothing for me (actually rarely do I get interested in them), but the Aussie Evil Deads are great!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2266 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »
Dutch poster has the same theme

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2267 on: March 23, 2012, 02:07:18 AM »
As does the Turkish one sheet:

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2268 on: March 23, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »
Oh, gotcha.

I think Dave has drawn that before on that piece in said condition, if not even more. Regardless, I do not agree that there is 100% certainty that the -0 issue is the first printing. I have heard several sound arguments from folks around the hobby for over 30+ years that the funky text is without a doubt the first one...but in the end, who knows.

Lucas would know, he hasn't been busy since 1980, let's ask him.

Like most of Dave's information, it (the determination of the -0) came from loooooong discussions on MPT, before release of the Star Wars Poster Book.  Peter Vilmur stopped by on occasion in those days - he was looking for confirmation that the Style A's were not used until well after the opening date and into the campaign - and what he ended up with was the consensus opinion...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2269 on: March 23, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
Regardless, I do not agree that there is 100% certainty that the -0 issue is the first printing. I have heard several sound arguments from folks around the hobby for over 30+ years that the funky text is without a doubt the first one...but in the end, who knows.

I'm glad that you brought this up, Ben.
Allow me to stir the pot a bit.

I saw STAR WARS opening week in NY, 1977.  At that time, I was an avid one-sheet collector and I rarely missed any opening of any genre film.  I remember looking carefully at the SW one-sheet that was on display at the theater and taking notice of the 'funky text.'  It was unlike any I had seen on the hundreds of one sheets I had at the time in my collection.  The very next day, I visited THE MOVIE GALLERY on Long Island to see if he had any for sale. He had three tri-folded, all with the 'funky text.' I asked shop owner Marty what the deal with the 'funky text' was?  He had heard that Fox just 'wanted to be different because the movie was a throwback to the serials of yesteryear.' Seeing as it matched the theatrical I had seen the night before, I bought one ($7).  A few weeks later, SW started showing at smaller neighborhood theaters and I acquired 4-5 used one-sheets.  ALL had the 'funky text.' I traded these to Marty for other posters (including Frazetta's FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS and a SW 1/2 sheet).

A few months later, the '-0' version showed up at THE MOVIE GALLERY.  Marty brought it to my attention because he wanted me to know another 'version' of the poster had been released. I also used to hit several theaters on Long Island for used posters on a weekly basis.  Months after the film's initial release, I began getting used copies of this later version from these theaters.

If the 'funky text' wasn't the first printing, then how come it was the only version available upon the film's initial showing?

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2270 on: March 23, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »
What do you think the "-0" represents?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2271 on: March 23, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
Archie, I did not know that about Peter stopping by to weigh in...thanks for the info, good to have that kind of stuff out there and refreshed for the betterment of conversation here.

Ted, your assessment of seeing the funky text version in displays at the film's opening is also in line with what I have heard from various folks. One collector/dealer I know told me that another reason it is the first printing is because that text design was used in advance promotional material leading up to the film's release (early 1976 up to the release in 1977). The lettering was used initially in the McQuarrie concept/promo art yet was designed by Joe Johnston. The scale that this font design was used was significant, and therefore was subsequently and sensibly used in the first printing of the one sheet to be used on its initial release.

Early promo materials using the funky text design in 1976-1977:

Below is a pic of Mark Hamill at the 1976 Comic Con. Text reads:
"A very young looking Mark Hamill, a.k.a. Luke Skywalker, poses before a hand painted banner (art by Ralph McQuarrie, lettering by Joe Johnston) at Star Wars' 'coming out' party at the San Diego Comic Con in the summer of 1976".

While I cannot say which issue is 100% the first printing, I would bet on funky text since it was used before the film came out for some time and it would make no sense to go back to that design in any sort of advertising effort after not using it in subsequent printings.

I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2272 on: March 23, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
What do you think the "-0" represents?

You got me swinging....
Maybe the first run from a new printer? 
All I know is the internet is chock full of misinformation, including info from what people would claim is the 'source.'
Long, long ago, I gave up contacting studios for information on poster campaigns because the 'stock' answer was "We don't know. We don't keep records of things like that."
What I do know is what I saw (and took note of at the time) and what I personally acquired during the film's initial theatrical release in NYC and Long Island.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2273 on: March 23, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »
Ted, your assessment of seeing the funky text version in displays at the film's opening is also in line with what I have heard from various folks. One collector/dealer I know told me that another reason it is the first printing is because that text design was used in advance promotional material leading up to the film's release (early 1976 up to the release in 1977). The lettering was used initially in the McQuarrie concept/promo art yet was designed by Joe Johnston. The scale that this font design was used was significant, and therefore was subsequently and sensibly used in the first printing of the one sheet to be used on its initial release.

Thanks for posting this Ben.
 cheers

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2274 on: March 23, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
Does anyone know why the consensus at MPT was that the -0 was first printing?  I assume there was discussion for/against the various posters being the 'first run'.