Author Topic: The posters of Bill Gold  (Read 7623 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
The posters of Bill Gold
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »
Since 1971's Dirty Harry, there hasn't been a closer collaboration between movie star and poster artist than Clint Eastwood and Bill Gold.  Strangely, I've been browsing the web and couldn't find much on Gold, even though he is responsible for some of the best posters ever.  I own very few of them, and certainly not masterpieces like Casablanca, Dial M for Murder or Bullit, but I thought I'd try to put something together to celebrate the man's art out of my collection.

Bill Gold Collection

If I made mistakes (and I know I did), please let me know.  I know the titles, but not necessarily the posters.

Here are some classics...

There is also a great book, which I'm thinking of getting: Posterworks.  Does anyone own it?

T
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:58:16 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: The posters of Bill Gold
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »
That book looks fantastic... I've been eyeing it for a while now. 

By the way, is there a list of the posters he designed somewhere?  I had no idea he designed the canoe-through-eye Deliverance poster!  I checked the large version on your site, I don't see his sig on it anywhere...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
Yeah, Deliverance Intl. is one of his best, IMO.

Here's the Wikipedia list I went through to put my own collection together.

T

Or this video:
Or this one... scroll down the page... Bill Gold
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:28:40 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »
Im a little confused.

I know the artist on the Gauntlet poster was Frank Frazetta and its in both the video and the Wikipedia list.

Is he a poster artist or the guy in charge of the poster designs or sometimes both?...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:08:39 PM by Zorba »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:11:11 AM »
I have been trying to figure that out myself.  The same thing goes with My Fair Lady, which was done by Bob Peak.  Yet, it's clear that Bob Clark had some involvement in the creation of the piece.

Anyone?

T
My Personal Collection

tstatum

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:13 AM »
The article also lists The Sting which is Amsel unless he did the other sting art.

tstatum

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »
Regardless if he did half the work listed his talent is unmistakable.  And unlike many poster artist his style change on every poster.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:40:05 AM »
I have been trying to figure that out myself.  The same thing goes with My Fair Lady, which was done by Bob Peak.  Yet, it's clear that Bob Clark had some involvement in the creation of the piece.

Anyone?

T

I just looked at the list again and besides My Fair Lady, I see some others that are definately Bob Peak's art....Camelot, A dream of Kings and Any Which Way You Can. You can go to this site and see the original raw art work.  

http://www.bobpeak.com/bob-peak-book/

Im guessing on these he was responsible for the poster layouts? Where the credits went, which art to use and  which art went where?...

I dont much about other artists to be able to pick out their art work so I would have no idea which ones he actually did the art work on without going through every poster.  

Regardless if he did half the work listed his talent is unmistakable.  And unlike many poster artist his style change on every poster.

I agree. The man is GREAT at what he does.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:44:10 AM by Zorba »

longdog

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:50:16 AM »
Here's a link to a nice article that should give you a better idea of what exactly his contribution to these posters was;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/classic-movies/8116899/Bill-Gold-the-Mad-Man-of-movie-posters.html

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »
Here's a link to a nice article that should give you a better idea of what exactly his contribution to these posters was;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/classic-movies/8116899/Bill-Gold-the-Mad-Man-of-movie-posters.html

Thanks.... Excellent article. That cleared most of it up for me anyway.... Hes in charge of every one of those posters. The boss.

"On any given poster Gold might have taken the photograph, drawn the illustration, designed the typeface and set the colours. Or he might have done none of those things. That’s part of the reason why people get confused about what a creative director does

In the case of Camelot, Bob Peak was the illustrator, ‘but all the design was dominated by my art direction’, Gold says. ‘I dictated the whole design to him, I gave him the Klimt reference, I led him into doing what he did.’"

I still would like to know which ones he did the actual art work on. It says he drew the sketches for Casablanca.

I love this stuff. I just think its cool. One guy all those posters. Thats a dream job.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:23:34 AM by Zorba »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »
Was his Alien teaser ever printed or is it just a concept?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:03:54 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »
The book looks amazing. I wonder if they'll do a cheaper/trade copy as Taschen did for the beautiful tomes like The Kubrick Archives, Godfather Family Album and GOAT?

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
I have never seen that before Mel.  Very cool art.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
Tob: I really hope they do a reasonably priced edition too. I can't imagine they've sold many of the 'masterpiece' edition or whatever they've called it.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

guest4955

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
Bill Gold’s Movie Posters Were the Stuff of Hollywood Dreams

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/05/bill-gold-movie-posters

guest4955

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »