Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 666237 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »
That's why you should really think twice about buying all of Mondo's print.  Half of them do not reach the quality of Ansin's El Topo.  And if you haven't seen it, you should.  It is definitely one of the early 70s most influential picks.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
I wouldn't exactly call it a great film.  It is a good film and probably an important film, but very strange.  One could expect nothing else really given the director.  It could definitely be called cult (which some to some people I guess means great).  
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2010, 01:47:40 PM »
REG was gone, didnt want to spend 100 on the variant either for a film I dont really care for.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Sometimes I also go for the artist.  I will pretty much get anything and everything from Stout and Ansin.  The rest of the crop is more on a project basis to me.  Which is why I had to get the variant.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
That's why you should really think twice about buying all of Mondo's print.  Half of them do not reach the quality of Ansin's El Topo.  And if you haven't seen it, you should.  It is definitely one of the early 70s most influential picks.

T

I have to agree with you here .. BUT .. at least I know that if the day ever comes that I must sell .. I know that I should be able to at least break even on the Mondo stuff just because its Mondo and their name is now well known amongst poster collectors .. This Ansin print would only appeal to Ansin collectors or fans of the film .. But like I said .. if it were a more popular film or even one I had seen and liked I may have bought it anyways and I wouldnt care about the "what if I sell it" factor ..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »
Hmm.

I could argue that the print sold out very quickly and it didn't have the Mondo name or advertising machine.  So people bought it for the artist.  Also, Danger, Stout, Ansin and a few others are starting to have quite a big following, so it doesn't really matter at this point who is responsible for the print.  Look at Tyler's Let the Right One In.  He sold it directly from his site.  By the same token, Mondo has come up with a lot of crap lately (trying to cash in too quickly IMO, and thus destroying a name they spent 5 years creating.)  I wonder if the Mondo name will have any relevance 5 years from now.  But I do believe some of the artists mentioned above will.

T
My Personal Collection

rjlawnic

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
I just recently started collecting prints that weren't concert related and I agree that Mondo isn't the only name in town that's worth anything.  I think that the artists are what makes Mondo a name that people recognize.  Like Thierry mentioned, Tyler sold the Let the Right One In print from his shop and it sold out in no time.  If Martin wanted to do the same, I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems moving his prints.  I think that Mondo is just a name that is connected with good artists.  But if they were to cut ties with some of the greats like Ansin, Danger, Stout, Moss, etc., I don't think that they would have the success that they've seen in the past.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
Scored.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2010, 12:48:19 AM »
That is verrrry nice! Congrats, Dale.

guest8

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »
Scored.

What do you think about the "legal document" they are making everyone sign for those Halloween prints? :)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2010, 06:24:54 AM »
I scored one as well.  As far as the document goes......i dont really think it would hold up legally, but its better than nothing.  And if it appeases the powers that be allowing Matt to sell the poster, then awesome.  Originally, it was going to be sold at the show only.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »
I scored one as well.  As far as the document goes......i dont really think it would hold up legally, but its better than nothing.  And if it appeases the powers that be allowing Matt to sell the poster, then awesome.  Originally, it was going to be sold at the show only.

Come on ... spill the beans.... whats this about a "legal" document?  :)

Stew

guest8

« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Sorry .. Those of us who bought one of these posters had to sign a document stating that we would not resell it, otherwise we would be subject to prosecution. This was required by the studios for Cinema Overdrive to be allowed to produce this print. Each of our names are now tired to a particular print number .. So .. In theory if one of these were to pop up on eBay theyd know who it was that was/is selling it.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
I like the idea, be nice for Mondo to institute something along those line, of course that would never happen. Even if you set a 90 day no sell window, it would reduce the flip rate on the prints.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »
Sorry .. Those of us who bought one of these posters had to sign a document stating that we would not resell it, otherwise we would be subject to prosecution. This was required by the studios for Cinema Overdrive to be allowed to produce this print. Each of our names are now tired to a particular print number .. So .. In theory if one of these were to pop up on eBay theyd know who it was that was/is selling it.

Control Freaks  :)
They do the same thing with Academy Awards preview DVD`s and there are loads of copies of them out there,so maybe its binding but is it worth chasing someone who did re sell??

Stew

guest8

« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
LOL .. I wouldnt think so .. How can they argue damages? I mean theres like what 70 prints?

I like the idea, be nice for Mondo to institute something along those line, of course that would never happen. Even if you set a 90 day no sell window, it would reduce the flip rate on the prints.

I agree .. But I bet Mondo would be afraid to try something like this .. I mean honestly how many prints in a run do you think are bought by flippers?? If they werent able to flip them .. Then the prints may go back to sitting in the Mondo store for days or weeks at a time and theyd not have that instant flow of cash flooding their accounts ..

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
Oh, what a wicked web they weave...  ;)

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2010, 07:52:46 PM »
Scored.

Sorry, where was this print offered?

guest8

« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »
Cinema Overdrive

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »
Scored.

I scored one too!!!  I really like it.  Thanks for pointing it out, guys. 

Questions: Who's the artist?  Print run?  Dimensions?

Thanks.
My Personal Collection

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2010, 04:36:35 PM »

guest8

« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »
I scored one too!!!  I really like it.  Thanks for pointing it out, guys. 

Questions: Who's the artist?  Print run?  Dimensions?

Thanks.

This beautiful tribute to a modern horror film classic was created by Danny Miller and printed at The Half and Half.  It measures 25" x 19" and in honor of the year it was released, is limited to a very small run of 78 prints.  And the pic simply doesn't do it justice- it really looks fantastic in person!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
Thanks.  I saw it late (obviously!) and was afraid not to get it.

You see, this is what I mean, it may not have been printed by Mondo, but to me, it's far superior to their double set of Star Wars posters.  If I had a limited amount of money to spend (which I do now - see separate thread), I'd much rather buy this one from Cinema Overdrive, than the Mondo ones, with or without the Star Wars/Mondo signature.  Which is why I don't think buying everything Mondo puts out is a good move, unless of course, money is not an issue.

T
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:18:15 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
I was browsing thru the IMDB info for Halloween tonight and noticed that in the trivia section it states that most of the leaves in the movie where actually paper cut outs, hand painted individually. The movie was set in Illinois but shot in California. I wonder if the artist was aware of this,due to the prominence of leaves in the print. 
Quite like that one must admit.

Stew

guest8

« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2010, 04:57:50 PM »
I think this is awesome!! I for sure picked up one !! Thoughts??

http://www.tommygood.com/product/blade-runner-godmachine