Author Topic: Tarantino  (Read 16537 times)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Tarantino
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
The "2 1/2 HOURS" tagline is on the commercial reprints.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »
The "2 1/2 HOURS" tagline is on the commercial reprints.

I don't recall either way with certainty.  I know, though, that it was withdrawn because the stated running time, whether it was 2 1/2 or 3 /12 hours, was wrong.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 01:07:21 AM »
I dont know, because
1)   Im in australia,
2) have had no interest in QT
3) never tried to buy one.

BUT I remember this poster floating around before the movie was released.
if that means anything
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Carson

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »
The studio probably printed at least 10,000 of these - maybe many more. These posters pop up all the time on Ebay and you can find them for $25-$50 on Ebay right now as fixed price items.

-we don't know how many were printed; guesstimates aren't effective, unfortunately.
-please do show me the BIN fixed price $25 you mention can be found right now on eBay

Plus, there are tons of commercial reprints of this and "Everyday Joe" prefers to buy a 24x36 reprint over an odd-sized 27x40 original.  

So tons of reprints invariably equates better availability of originals? There are numerous original titles that remain tough despite having tons of reprints. Nor does a calendar of gross movie sales figures equate 'lots of posters were printed'

Yes, you'll get great service from Emovie and Bruce is a great guy but that's no reason to pay 4-8 times true market value.

Who on earth is paying 4-8 times value; 8 times what value? And where can I get a "true market value" figure? I'd like one for all posters.

Carson

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
Non of that to be snarky, Mel, just what I mean when I say I sometimes get your logic and sometimes you reach so far into the barrel for a point you lose me. Poster value is nothing if not erratic. When you say "it's true market value" it assumes 1) there is such thing and 2) you know what it is. In truth, all we have are general estimates but at times you mention "natural market value" as though eBay is somehow a dependable barometer.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »
Carson, I've made my points and you've made yours.  Suffice it say that $100 is on the extreme high end for this particular poster. 

Bruce

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
That's no fun!

We want a FIGHT!

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »

Carson

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 06:33:10 AM »
Sorry to disappoint, Bruce. Arguing is not my intent.

Mel often has great points, and, Mel also occasional reaches for some oddly random points from the darkened recesses (his backside) so I asked him to support some of his more reaching attempts; eg (below):

Mel said there is a $25 dollar example on eBay right now. Where?
you mention there is no need to pay 4-8 times value; who is paying 8 times value?
you suggest lots of reprints for a title equate availability of more originals?
a calendar pic of gross domestic sales equates poster availability?

All points are interesting and welcome, but those with some degree of relevance are preferable, that's all. Not trying to "stir".

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 12:57:10 PM »
Carson, always looking to tussle!

Let's see, in addition to my purchase for $17 and some others I've seen roll through Ebay for less than $20, here are:

$15 here
$25 here
$49 here

And Heritage sold one for $31 recently (and also a couple for $50/$70).

This being the "All Paranoia Forum," I anticipate the usual cacophony of "those dealers are agents of evil, criminals, blood-drinkers, shillers, and/or ______ [insert your favorite pejorative]!" Naturally, no one will have any actual proof that these are reprints but that's the way things roll around here...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:26 PM »
Measure if you buy one.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »
Do you mean that even if they are listed as 27"x40" that they still might be under-sized?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »
Don't know 2 of the dealers, one however is kinda famous for selling fakes, dunno if this is, cos he mixes the good with the bad, maybe ask the Professor what he thinks?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »
Do you mean that even if they are listed as 27"x40" that they still might be under-sized?

Yes. Again these were out in the wholesale market and offered as originals. If you get one under 40", you got your hands on one of them.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 08:37:47 PM »
I guess I will chime in here - I bought one of these about a year and half ago from Fuburiver on ebay. He was supposed to be one of the good guys and has a lot of legit stuff for sale. He was even listed as a trusted seller over at MPF. I bought this particular poster listed as an original 27x40. When it arrived it was 26x39. I went back and forth with him via email a few times and he fed me a few lines and I finally got a majority of my money back.

Cj
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:49:12 PM by Cj »

sergmark

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »

Wow Thats what I call a Big Mac attack   :-X :-X

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »
I guess I will chime in here - I bought one of these about a year and half ago from Fuburiver on ebay. He was supposed to be one of the good guys and has a lot of legit stuff for sale. He was even listed as a trusted seller over at MPF. I bought this particular poster listed as an original 27x40. When it arrived it was 26x39. I went back and forth with him via email a few times and he fed me a few lines and I finally got a majority of my money back.

Cj

Was it double sided?  If so I really with we had a confirmed list of which posters out there have double sided reprints. It seems there are more and more of these cropping up!

I think everyone should kiss and make up already... The time would be better spent consolidating efforts on an MPA article!  :)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 04:28:52 AM »
T. Loce definitely sells fakes as well (though I do not know if those specific ones are fakes).  When I first got into collecting, I wanted to not get burned by minty whites.  He had a "mint" blade runner insert for $85.  I was relatively sure that it was fake, and wanted it for a minty white sample.  I offered him $50 and asked him if it was authentic.  He told me absolutely and even told me what theater it came from ultimately accepting my $50 offer.  It showed up, and upon comparing it to a known authentic Shaft insert........yup, definitely one of the infamous minty whites.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:39:41 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 07:16:28 AM »
The Grindhouse fakes are double sided, the size gives them away.

Carson

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 07:56:15 AM »
Carson, always looking to tussle!

Let's see, in addition to my purchase for $17 and some others I've seen roll through Ebay for less than $20, here are:

$15 here
$25 here

Thanks for the effort, Mel. Are you really going to go with T. Loce and Greg Egbert's off-eBay Posterworld shop as examples of $25 fixed price originals on eBay? May I drop an LOL here or would that be tussling? Surely you can appreciate the humor and the point, Mel. There isn't a legitimate fixed price DS on eBay for $25 and it's no coincidence those two names surface when looking for one.

I anticipate the usual cacophony of "those dealers are agents of evil, criminals, blood-drinkers, shillers, and/or ______ [insert your favorite pejorative]!"

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
Was it double sided?  If so I really with we had a confirmed list of which posters out there have double sided reprints. It seems there are more and more of these cropping up!

I think everyone should kiss and make up already... The time would be better spent consolidating efforts on an MPA article!  :)

It was double sided.

Cj

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »
You guys are way too worried about reproductions.  Like I said, for an extremely detailed poster like Grindhouse, it is very difficult to create a perfect or even half-decent reproduction.   Reproducers like MovieGoods are using special "blow up" software to "blow up" relatively small JPEG images to 27x40 300dpi proportions.  "Blow up" software - like Alien Skin Blow Up 2 - does a good job "blowing up" images but does a poor job "blowing up" text, so you can nearly always spot "blown up" reproductions.  Here are two examples.  

Grindhouse:  The source image (attached below) is taken directly from Heritage.  The source image is actually pretty good: 2048 pixels x 3000 pixels @300dpi, which is 6.8" x 10" @300dpi (dots per inch).

But the small text is already fuzzy in the source image. That is impossible to correct.  Plus you have to quadruple it in size, which will make it even worse.  Here's what the small text looks like "blown up" with Alien Skin Blow Up 2 to full-size, actual print size (27"x40"@300dpi).  Notice the small text is hopelessly illegible - on my original the circled sections are legible.  Even the larger white text is slightly bloated and fuzzy:

Apocalypse Now: Here's another example of an older poster "blown up" with Alien Skin Blow Up 2 from a large, relatively high-quality Heritage JPEG photo to full print size.  Again, the "actual print size" (300dpi) result is hopelessly fuzzy and illegible:

This "fuzzy" text is what I see on the 10 or see reproductions (Superfly, etc.) that I have.  Of course it's possible that the reproducer may have a super high-quality scanner or access to the original master digital file and may get better results. But that's a big IF.

Here is an example of the super-high quality you need to print out a perfect reproduction - this is a 100mb "Dark Knight" file - takes a long time to download.  (This is from the official Dark Knight website).

Here is another example - a 250MB "Bloom Brothers" poster file (from the official movie site).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:17:43 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the info Mel, I didn't even know there was such thing as 'blow up' software! 

The only problem with your authentication method though, is that it requires you to inspect the posters in person.  I've had to return posters before and it was definitely a hassle I'd like to avoid... Especially on <$100 posters. When I first started collecting I was always on the look out for a deal. I think it is actually quite easy to find deals on older folded posters as they are comparatively easy to authenticate from photos. However, with newer material that I know has been reproduced I'm leaning more and more towards purchases from reputable dealers... 

Carson

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
Excellent effort as always, Mel; thank you.

I think I've met my match in someone willing to go the distance in uprooting evil. Seriously. I think we could turn the reprint industry on it's ear. Let's BUST these chumps and return an ounce of decency back to the OMP hobby! In related news, my girlfriend of 5 years saw your picture recently and first thing she said was "omg he is adorable" so if Egbert does in fact have supernatural demonic powers and destroys me for revealing his trade secrets you have that going for you.

Mel, wouldn't you agree any software required to prep a digital image to be reprinted can be found in Photoshop CS4 or an added PS extension?  Does the software you refer to artificially 'enhance' DPI in some way?