Author Topic: Restoration/linen touch up Question  (Read 3346 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Restoration/linen touch up Question
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
Does anyone here have any close ups of a linenbacked poster that has been restored? I am curious to see. Are they noticeable? Does the artist get it spot on?
Like I see some of these before and after pictures, (but not close up) and they still look like new. I don't know how the artist touches them up?

Mine would look something like this

How do they look close up. Because I was thinking of getting a poster linenbacked (to be framed as well).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Restoration/linen touch up Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
Hey Mike..

what is the poster you are maybe wanting to back? Are you wanting to back it because it has damage, tears, rips, that kind of thing? There are a couple schools of thought--but it ultimately boils down to a personal decision. Many feel that to back a poster just to remove fold lines is, in a sense, "overkill" and should only be done when posters are fragile, damaged, missing paper and the like.

Others do back because it smooths out fold lines and creases and they can be easier to frame and handle, many times.

Is your poster in question a folded or rolled one?

Do research and take time when selecting a restorer. You dont want someone who is going to do more harm than good. All restorers should use water based paints, colored pencils and adhesives (some don't). 

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »
I know its a controversal thing. Linenback or not.
No, I do not want to do it just because of fold lines. I agree with others about what they say on that.

The poster is folded, however the seller sent it rolled, so its fragile. And seems like its coming apart at one of the folds. Its a 80s poster. The poster is hard to find but pops up sometimes. It also has a little section missing, about 1 cm rip.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 07:35:38 PM »
Mike,

Being that it is a poster from the 80s, you might want to hold off having this one repaired and backed and wait for another to come along. Since you said it does pop up now and then, it might be cheaper than going the restore/backing route.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 07:37:56 PM »
I am thinking of that too, I keep my eye out for them. But I would still like some pics if anyone has any close up shots if anyone has any. Just to settle my curiosity. ;D

Mike

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »
Here's a thread, showing before and after images, Mike:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1748.0.html

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »
Ya that was the thread I was looking at. But they seem right on from the pictures. Do they look like that close up? For example there looks like no fold lines anymore, and number 2, how do they recreate the art again? like the one where part of his face was off and missing half a sheet?

Edit: Found what I was looking for. Found some good pics from Dario under his website.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Up close, or from an angle, you will always be able to see areas that were re-created or fold lines that were touched up. Restorers will often get a high resolution scan from a complete poster image and use that to re-create missing areas. With a good restorer's talent, hopefully, these areas are blended in, to closely match the rest of the poster.

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
I'm really curious as to what poster from the 80s it is...
Have a pic, Mike?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 06:28:36 PM »
 bump.gif

Mike.. did you ever get your poster backed? Or did you find a copy in better condition?

And if you did go the backing route, how'd it all turn out?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:30:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »
Hey Jeff,
No I never got that one restored. It was a Nightmare On Elm 5 quad. I still have the same one
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:32:10 PM by bigmike »