Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678684 times)

wonka

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2010, 12:46:37 PM »
Good poster, Brude.

I have seen it go for under $30 a few times, all on ebay.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »
I likey the printer's proof, very nice!

Hopefully I'm not going to be laughed off the forum but... delving into my long lost collection I stumbled upon these. Not entirely sure what they are (they could well be commercial prints!). They are much smaller than a 1-Sheet and were sent to me folded by the women I bought them off on ebay, single sided as well.

I remember there being 40"x60" bus shelter versions of these but nothing else, there's no extra printers logos on them and the text in the bottom left says '© 1999 LucasFilm Ltd & TM'.

If anyone knows anything about these it'd be great to get some info.

Nice posters.  I just bought one myself, similar to the second one, not long ago from Colin.  Here is the link from his website explaining what the one I bought is.  

http://ckmaccom.startlogic.com/product_info.php?cPath=34_51_54&products_id=5796&osCsid=d7d290d8deeafdecd84460602c0fcaba

The bus shelters, or whatever they were, for that movie look awesome.  Here are a couple links explaining a little about that print campaign.

http://boards.theforce.net/the_phantom_menace/b10007/10519142/r11247067/

http://www.theforce.net/collecting/posters/tpm/darthmaul.asp

kauaitx

« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2010, 01:29:02 PM »
I remember there being 40"x60" bus shelter versions of these but nothing else, there's no extra printers logos on them and the text in the bottom left says '© 1999 LucasFilm Ltd & TM'.

If anyone knows anything about these it'd be great to get some info.

These bus shelter posters were a part of the British advance promotion poster campaign for the Phantom Menace, Agentprovocateur.  They aren't commercial posters, but a set of character posters.  There should be 7 character posters that were produced, I recall.  If you get the entire set, that would be great. 

If you're interested in obtaining the character set for Attack of the Clones, they were produced too for the European market but with fewer characters, though I think the versions for AOTC had better art and imagery.

Jeannie

kauaitx

« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2010, 02:03:10 PM »

Oh, wait, I think I got confused with the sizes you noted, Agent.   Are these posters 4' x 6'?  If so, they are indeed the bus shelter posters. 

If not, this is where it gets confusing:

In Scandinavian countries, like Denmark and Norway, the official theatrical promotion had their character sets produced in English in 24x33 inches.  The Hong Kong and Singapore versions were also in English, but in 24x36 size.  The Belgian version was also in English in that smaller size. 

And, not all these countries had the same number of character versions produced. 

But, there could have been some commercial 24x36 versions in Britain that we don't know about.  I'm still confused myself about what characters were produced for what country in what size.

Jeannie

agentprovocateur

« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
Cool, thanks NeoLoco, answers my question to a 't'. Pretty sure that size and image are exactly the same as mine.

Jeannie I know the sets you're on about, I saw the 'Phantom Menace' 40"x60"s were the same as these mini ones just didn't know where the two I've got came from. I totally agree with you on the 'Attack of the Clones' 40"x60"s, much MUCH better art, I was actually lucky enough to get a Boba Fett one that is great, will try to dig it out soon. Quality composition with all the Stormtroopers lining up behind him.

Thanks a lot for the info. peeps, really appreciated :D

agentprovocateur

« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2010, 02:08:12 PM »
Jeannie you know your stuff! Hopefully I've caught up with the conversation now ;D

These are mini versions I'm afraid, tbh the artwork is not that great, but I think because these were small I got them for a steal. I'll now measure them and let you know which size they are.

But still in total agreement the 'Attack of the Clones' ones are much better.

kauaitx

« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »

You've got my curiosity peaked, Agent!  I'm wondering what your posters are and where they're from.

To make things even more confusing, there are mini sizes of these as well.  I'm dizzy now just thinking about all the different versions for the foreign (meaning, non-US) campaign.

Jeannie

agentprovocateur

« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2010, 08:09:46 AM »
I just measured them and they are A2, or 600 x 840mm which works out at 24" x 33" approx. which sound a lot like the Scandinavian version you mentioned Jeannie.

kauaitx

« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »
I just measured them and they are A2, or 600 x 840mm which works out at 24" x 33" approx. which sound a lot like the Scandinavian version you mentioned Jeannie.

Great!  Mystery solved.  Do you want to take it one step further and try to figure out if they're from Denmark or Norway?    ;D     It would be so impressive if you did. 

Jeannie

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2010, 09:23:16 PM »
OK, who's got the most and does anybody have all of them?  I used to think I had a decent Star Wars collection, until I realized I only had a measly seven of these.  Of course, this checklist was produced in 1985 but the best stuff had come out by then.  You can get the full size checklist here.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
I'm putting up the 1997 Special Edition re-release posters this month.  Not sure what to think of them.  Not as good as the originals but not too bad.  They just seem like "commercial" posters to me, even though they were used at movie theaters.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »
I like them Mel. They look cool to me but thats probably cause I have them there lowbrow tastes.  :)

wonka

« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »
I have always dug the SE posters pretty well simple because of the visual synergy the three have, which the original posters lack.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2010, 07:19:09 AM »
They look great together, never realised they were designed at a triptych either.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »
This is a 13x20, thick stock piece by the artist Michel...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2010, 02:59:34 PM »
I'm going to slowly ease my way out of collecting for a while (I got hit really hard by the Euro crisis), but before I do, here's a little something I got yesterday.

Very happy about these Hungarian posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »
Proper Bo!

wonka

« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2010, 03:52:02 PM »
Fantastic, Thierry.

(The posters, not the hit).

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2010, 07:25:29 PM »
Thanks.  They are stunning in person. 

Interestingly, I did a quick search on the internet last week to find good pictures, and all I could find were small res. on http://www.starwarsmovieposter.com/star_wars_hun.htm.  I'm glad to be able to post larger pictures of these babies for the APF gang. 

PS: I made sure they were not good enough for Movieposterdb and Moviegoods to steal.   ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2010, 09:52:56 PM »
The "force is strong" with those posters Thierry!  Congrats....

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »
A lot of the Kilian Star Wars posters have surfaced on Ebay recently for pretty cheap prices.  I picked up these two and they are SUPERB - way better quality than I expected - they're both 41"

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »
That 15th Anniversary Hildebrandt is nice.  I picked one up a few months ago from emovie, and I was also shocked at the high quality. 

Was that poster used in theaters?  I found this quote from posterwire.com, but I am not sure it refers to this poster: "The Hildebrandt artwork did appear on many early Star Wars promo items, a consumer retail poster, and eventually as a U.S. theatrical poster for the Star Wars 15th Anniversary re-release."
http://posterwire.com/archives/2006/06/13/tim-hildebrandt/

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »
The Hildebrandt art was used on the UK quad.  I don't think it was ever used on a US release.

Kilian sold an alternate version of the Hildebrant through the Home Shopping Network.  It's rarer but I don't like it as much:

guest8

« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2010, 05:33:37 PM »
That quad is one of my favorites of all the SW posters !!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »