Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678114 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #275 on: March 28, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »
Actually, Ted, these posters are of the actual green screen that Lucas was/is in love with.

I love all the clone troopers lined up in the second one...can't you see it?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »
I love all the clone troopers lined up in the second one...can't you see it?

Uhhhh...no...not yet...maybe I need a few more bong hits...  wynk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »
That's pretty cool, Erik.

Combo of Star Wars C and Empire B designs, to be sure.  Interesting.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »
1981 re-release OS:

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »
Pretty funny....

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
Looks like he is pretty new at this, not able to put in the legwork, and being as honest as he can be.
-Jay-

Harry Angel

« Reply #282 on: May 08, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »
Hi all. I'm currently trying to identify some lovely film posters that surfaced from my large collection of old tat recently. What I have discovered is that the field of "Star Wars" posters is so huge that any advice and insider knowledge would be appreciated.  :)

First up, my favourite poster of all time:

Now I'm 99% sure this is an original UK Quad poster - because there's lots of reference photos on the web, and because I bought it in 1978! From what I've found browsing around, it seems a nice rolled example like this could be quite rare? (Not for sale even if it is valuable, I do really love this one.) Thanks for any wise words on this poster, I do have a few others which I'll post given the slightest encouragement. ;D

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #283 on: May 08, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »
nice poster  ;D it is indeed a uk quad.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #284 on: May 08, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
Like I have said, I am not a Star Wars fan, but that SW quad kicks ass.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #285 on: May 08, 2011, 09:45:37 PM »
 welcome1 to APF, Harry.
That's a fine looking quad.
Looks like the Real McCoy to me...but wait, is the lower left corner damaged??
You should send it to me so that I can properly grade it for you...
 mesmrized

Harry Angel

« Reply #286 on: May 09, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
welcome1 to APF, Harry.
That's a fine looking quad.
Looks like the Real McCoy to me...but wait, is the lower left corner damaged??
You should send it to me so that I can properly grade it for you...
 mesmrized

It is in fantastic condition to my eyes, having been rolled in a tube for 30 years I guess it should be! But there is indeed a small problem area at the corner. This may be because as a kid I stuck it up on my bedroom wall with sellotape.  :o
No regrets though, because if it hadn't been up there maybe I wouldn't have fallen in love with it! IMO the most gorgeous movie poster ever, and I find a beautifully preserved example just waiting for me - it's like a gift from my childhood self. £5 well spent.  ;D

I would actually like to get it framed and up again, so any pointers on how/where to go about it very welcome (I am in UK).

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #287 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »
if you take it into a framers and the guys says the words 'dry mount' slap him then leave.

Harry Angel

« Reply #288 on: May 10, 2011, 06:28:39 AM »
if you take it into a framers and the guys says the words 'dry mount' slap him then leave.

That's exactly the sort of detail I need to know, thanks. There's a framing shop not ten minutes walk from me but I would have no idea if they were doing the right thing for my poster or just taking the opportunity to sell what they want to sell. Anyway, on to poster two.

It appears to be a Style A One sheet but it's a bit different to every one I can find online. Now I've read about there being fakes and reissues of this poster down the years but that possibility can be discounted because I have owned this poster since 1978.

One odd thing about it is that the small print is up the side, it always seems to be along the bottom usually. Something else I noticed is that the words "STAR WARS" at the lower corner are cut right through. I wondered if it was a reject that had been badly cut, but the main image sits nicely between the top and bottom white borders and doesn't appear to be misaligned at all, so I don't really know what the story is on this one.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #289 on: May 10, 2011, 06:52:46 AM »
thats an original US 30x40.... very nice... all nss info looks good to me.. and the half cut star wars is nothing to worry about..

Harry Angel

« Reply #290 on: May 11, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
thats an original US 30x40.... very nice... all nss info looks good to me.. and the half cut star wars is nothing to worry about..

Thanks for the reassurance, it's still proving difficult to find out much about though. I've been looking through what websites have listed for sale to try and find matches to all my posters and I still can't find this one! Could just be hitting all the wrong sites of course, it has to be there somewhere.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #291 on: May 11, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
That Star Wars Quad, Is awful, obviously a fake, it has bad use of space, and is not worth a Penny.    I'll PM you my address so you can send it to me, where I will dispose of it.......into one of my plan chests.  ;) 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #292 on: May 11, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
That Star Wars Quad, Is awful, obviously a fake, it has bad use of space, and is not worth a Penny.    I'll PM you my address so you can send it to me, where I will dispose of it.......into one of my plan chests.  ;) 
Always one step ahead...goddammit....

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #293 on: May 11, 2011, 03:25:34 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance, it's still proving difficult to find out much about though. I've been looking through what websites have listed for sale to try and find matches to all my posters and I still can't find this one! Could just be hitting all the wrong sites of course, it has to be there somewhere.

try www.starwarsmovieposter.com  ;D ;D eyeroll eyeroll

Harry Angel

« Reply #294 on: May 11, 2011, 03:42:13 PM »
try www.starwarsmovieposter.com  ;D ;D eyeroll eyeroll

That should be useful for identifying the others, Googling "Star Wars poster" just gave me lots of sites wanting to sell me more of the things!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #295 on: May 11, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
That should be useful for identifying the others, Googling "Star Wars poster" just gave me lots of sites wanting to sell me more of the things!

It is also a good practice to learn to use Bruce's sales database.  He has sold a number of 30x40s over the years, and the results show that this size tends to go for a premium.  Here is a link with results filtered for 30x40

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/star+wars/searchfield/title/sort/17/page/4/type/30x40/archive.html
-Jay-

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #296 on: May 11, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »
you know this guy is going to pull out a hildebrandt quad dont you..

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #297 on: May 11, 2011, 06:05:16 PM »

One odd thing about it is that the small print is up the side, it always seems to be along the bottom usually. Something else I noticed is that the words "STAR WARS" at the lower corner are cut right through. I wondered if it was a reject that had been badly cut, but the main image sits nicely between the top and bottom white borders and doesn't appear to be misaligned at all, so I don't really know what the story is on this one.

It's cut off because they used the same plates as the 27x41 one sheet, so, once it's centered up, it cuts off a half inch or so on the bottom and the top and is common for 30x40's from the period.

Interesting to see that this one has the funky font 'Star Wars', which indicates the third printing, if memory serves.  It's the first one that I've seen with the funky text.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #298 on: May 13, 2011, 02:07:40 AM »
Interesting to see that this one has the funky font 'Star Wars', which indicates the third printing, if memory serves.  It's the first one that I've seen with the funky text.

I'm glad you brought that up. 
Have you seen any 30x40s with a font different from the funky text?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #299 on: May 13, 2011, 11:27:37 PM »

Ted,

This is classic...  awesome!
laugh1

-Jeff