Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678805 times)

Offline tyrol_gangster

• Beginner
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #2350 on: November 06, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
Hello, I am new to the forum and wondering if someone more knowledgeable could share their opinion with me, please. I am considering buying Star Wars poster(s) from Mrs Miniver and after doing some research on the seller and exchanging a few emails with him (signed Matt) I am obviously a bit concerned :-/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-LEGIT-GENUINE-STYLE-C-MOVIE-POSTER-ARCHIVAL-MUSEUM-LINEN-MOUNTED/392154563189?hash=item5b4e3bc275:g:2G4AAOSwttVaJhYM:rk:2:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-20th-Century-Fox-Style-A-27x41-Movie-Poster-1977-MINT-ROLLED-MUST/392154563180?hash=item5b4e3bc26c:g:fGQAAOSwDQhbphdK:rk:1:pf:0
(plus https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLADE-RUNNER-1982-27x41-NSS-ROLLED-MOVIE-POSTER-ARCHIVAL-MUSEUM-LINEN-MOUNTED/392165184631?hash=item5b4eddd477:g:C-4AAOSwbtNaSIKW)

Prices don't look that absurd, comparing these to other offers I've found elsewhere, but my main concern is whether the posters are not fakes. For instance I haven't even found a mention anywhere else about the Fox-issued Style A sheet? Similarly wrt the BR one after reading http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/MPC_Authentication_Blade_Runner.html ...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2351 on: November 06, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »
WELCOME ABOARD!!!  Welcome3.gif

I have never known him to sell bootlegs before and personally would not worry too much about him on them.

As to the posters themselves I will only speak to the Star Wars A & C.

Star Wars Style A, it is the relatively common record poster. They can be found fairly often and in very nice condition if you have patience to wait a bit. Average pricing ranges pretty greatly but high grade rolled examples generally run in the $200 - $400 range. The higher price being auction house prices. There is currently no bootleg of this one to the best of my knowledge and they do appear for sale pretty often but for some reason usually in lesser shape than other printings of the Style A posters, hence the patience part. When they do appear in nice shape on Ebay they usually run in the $200-$250 range but like all SW poster prices these days can swing wildly from day to day depending on who is bidding.

Star Wars Style C. The poster is the more common non PG version. Price after linen backing is not too terribly high, they average linen backed in very good condition, prior to backing, in the $1,000 - $1,400 range. These can be found both rolled and folded, this one was folded prior to backing but looks pretty good from the images. I would venture a guess that 90% of the C's that you see for sale on Fleabay these days are either legitimate reprints, usually 24x36 or 27x40 instead of 27x41, or they are the common "Hairy Back" bootleg. This one is an original based on the images. Original Style C's outside of sellers like Miniver and Cinemasterpeices, who both charge a premium for their wares often having bought them at auction themselves and reselling online, do not show up often but do from time to time. To get one in the lower end of the price range can take quite while or you can try the auction houses which see them every few months or so and average less in price.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:26:44 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2352 on: November 06, 2018, 10:29:37 AM »
Undead is our in-house Star Wars expert, so I would pay close attention.  Those prices are quite high though, especially for the record poster.  Mrs Miniver makes it sound like it is a genuine Style A and I'm sure it works with first time collectors.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2353 on: November 06, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »
According to (Matt aka mrs_miniver), posters are also recession proof, and the perfect way to invest one's money. So Im sure his prices also reflect his line of logic, too.

And  welcome1 to the forum, T_G. Enjoy it and looking forward to seeing what you like to collect, too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:18:52 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2354 on: November 07, 2018, 07:58:48 AM »
According to (Matt aka mrs_miniver), posters are also recession proof, and the perfect way to invest one's money. So Im sure his prices also reflect his line of logic, too.

But not Idiot Proof.  Recessions not equating to Buying High, nor a change in Collecting Tastes...

guest4955

« Reply #2355 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
So this true-blue ROTJ printers proof (PP) with white title (not grey) sold for $455: 🤖

Important Added Info: This is a very rare uncut printer's test poster (often referred to as a "printer's proof")! We have only auctioned a "domestic" (with a ratings box) printer's test with a white title once before and that was in 2016! Before a poster was printed in large quantities, the printer would print a limited number of posters as "test" posters. Because they needed to be shown to people at the studio, people in the art department, the stars, etc, they would print a number of test posters and distribute them to these people. Some of them would be fully trimmed, but often they would leave the color chart on the left edge of many of the posters, which added an extra inch to the width of the poster (which explains why the poster measures 28 1/4" x 41" [72 x 104 cm]). Once these printer's test posters were shown to the various people in a position to "OK" them, the printer would print the full print run of the posters. Not only is a printer's test poster far more rare than a regular poster, but it is also 100% genuine as there is no fear of purchasing a reproduction! Note that this one-sheet measures 28 1/4" x 41" [72 x 104 cm]. Also note that this test print has another test print on its back for the movie "Android"!

guest4955

« Reply #2356 on: November 07, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
+ Do droids "dream of electric sheep" or an enchanted celestial life? 🤖😎

+ Last night = $1884

Offline tyrol_gangster

• Beginner
« Reply #2357 on: November 07, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »
Huge thanks everyone for the replies, especially Undead - wow, respect!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2358 on: November 07, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
But not Idiot Proof.  Recessions not equating to Buying High, nor a change in Collecting Tastes...

Very true, Simes.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2359 on: November 07, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »
Huge thanks everyone for the replies, especially Undead - wow, respect!

Any time  cheers
Just bleach the bitch!

guest4955

« Reply #2360 on: November 16, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »
On MOPO I asked a serious Q whether SW-MPs "kickstarted" ALL movie poster collecting in '77. See pic for a knowledgable response from dealer Kirby McDaniel (www.movieart.com).

guest4955

« Reply #2361 on: November 18, 2018, 02:02:33 PM »
Well, I obviously have too much free time - "Sad!" - so I ginned up this size-proportional comparison between the tiny UK DC and the int. 6S:

Damn statistics!

- the 6S is 9.88 times bigger!
- the DC sold for 18.6 times more!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2362 on: November 20, 2018, 01:40:26 PM »
I picked up these 2 STAR WARS-related prints on Sunday, from a small shop around the corner.

Kind of a Mondo-type feel to both, with intense color and his detail is amazing.

Both were done by artist, John Giang, who worked as a concept artist at ILM on many of their film projects, including ROGUE ONE. Each is 13 x 19 inches.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4522716/

Both are also signed in silver Sharpie, on the bottom right. I wrote the artist to get more info (when he did them, where originally offered etc).

Titled "VADER" and "KYLO REN."

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:57:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2363 on: January 03, 2019, 05:45:52 PM »
Hello,
  New to this forum but huge star wars poster collecting fan.  I have about 30 theatrical posters and prints mostly from 76-79.  Already recognize a few names here.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2364 on: January 03, 2019, 06:09:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Yes, some of our members collect Star Wars posters.  I own a few too.  Please share your goodies.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2365 on: January 03, 2019, 06:12:37 PM »
In what thread can I complain about The Last Jedi?

Welcome, Porkins.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2366 on: January 03, 2019, 06:34:42 PM »

The [SW Poster Facebook Group] founder is Tony van Dam, who is a top-notch dude AND SW collector!

Mel, I'm gonna have to correct you; Tony is indeed top notch, but he's not the founder of the group.  That honor goes to a man named Shawn who for whatever reason doesn't hang out much anymore.

-Danny

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2367 on: January 03, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Yes, some of our members collect Star Wars posters.  I own a few too.  Please share your goodies.

T

Thanks, I see someone posted a test print above so here's one of mine : a PMS Style A test print.  Sorry the lighting is not the best.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2368 on: January 05, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
^ That's great.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2369 on: January 05, 2019, 08:24:04 PM »
Thanks I'm sorta into test prints now. I have a couple but thr prices gave really sky rocketed the past few years so I have to bide my time and find bargains.

This one I bought in ebay a few years ago from some guy not a big dealer. I have been able to trace this exact poster's provenance by mathing defects to its original listing on emovieposter in 2001 when it was one of the 18 pairs of test prints sold. Unfortunately the person I bought this from had already sold the mate style C test print that came with it.

Since then  I have acquired both style Cs test prints (both pg and non-pg) so I can't complain.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #2370 on: January 18, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
Here is a giant poster.

13ft x 10ft. Rogue One
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:15:32 PM by jedgerley »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2371 on: January 18, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »
Here is a giant poster.

13ft x 10ft. Rogue One

Kowabunga, Jedgerly!  Wall to wall Star Wars carpet!  Nice going.
 Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2372 on: January 19, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Nice full size  imax poster for the Last Jedi

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2373 on: May 21, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
This Star Wars craze is annoying.  Impossible to buy anything  :-X

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2374 on: May 22, 2019, 10:24:04 AM »
I agree, a lot of insane prices lately in a very dry market.
Just bleach the bitch!