Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678596 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1900 on: January 12, 2016, 11:34:39 PM »
Did hear back and we are now working it out again. Will see where it goes.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1901 on: January 12, 2016, 11:42:07 PM »
Did hear back and we are now working it out again. Will see where it goes.

I talked to Matt about you today.  Told him not to send you anything ;)

He did say he was fixing the problem.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1902 on: January 13, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
Great now I'll get an 11x17 print instead after you talked to him. Thanks a lot Brie.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
Re: Star Wars Style D one sheet information
« Reply #1903 on: January 19, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »

We recently received some Printer's Proofs from Charlie White. He was the original poster designer along with Drew Struzan for the Star Wars Style D one sheet.
The information below is straight from Charlie White himself, January 2016:

"In April 1977, I was approached by 20th Century Fox to develop a poster for the upcoming film “Star Wars.” I hadn’t yet heard anything about it, and wondered if it would be a low brow sci-fi B movie. They asked me to attend a screening at the Academy Theater, and I was totally captivated. I couldn’t stop talking about it.
As I remember George Lucas wanted a vintage 40s look and style, which suited me well. There being only a brief couple months before the film’s theatrical release, though, time was pretty short to do the work.

I was a fan of the album cover art by the talented Drew Struzan. So I hired him to work on the portraiture while I created the overall design and illustrated the rest of the piece. We presented a pencil sketch to George (unheard of in the movie business, in which the routine was to present a number of fully finished pieces from which studios would choose). He approved it immediately. However, we had only 10 days to produce the final artwork. For some reason, we were allowed to design our own Star Wars logo, so this poster is unique in that respect. The lettering was done by Chuck Smitt.

When we delivered the finished art we were told there wasn’t enough room for copy - a not so little detail that had escaped attention when we initially showed the sketch. Necessity being the mother of invention, I came up with the idea to make it look like a poster already pasted on a wall, with a torn edge at the bottom. The extra space also allowed for the inclusion of Obi Wan Kenobi, whose presence gave added dimension and context to the piece.

When I was at the printers on the press checks I was able to get a package of posters. I had the color bars removed because I didn't want to have to cut them.

It has been a privilege to be a part of Star Wars history, and to have made a significant contribution at the very beginning."

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #1904 on: January 20, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing Dave  thumbup
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1905 on: January 21, 2016, 11:35:27 PM »
What's up with this website: http://www.starwarsmovieposter.com/

Last year it was... Coming back in plenty of time before the release of Force Awakens, then it was coming back soon, merry Christmas and happy new year, and now happy new year 2016.

Who are these bozos and if they don't intend on coming back, why don't they just take the site down?  It's kind of ridiculous at this point.  Anyone knows?

T
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:36:05 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1906 on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:33 AM »

Last year it was... Coming back in plenty of time before the release of Force Awakens, then it was coming back soon, merry Christmas and happy new year, and now happy new year 2016.

Who are these bozos and if they don't intend on coming back, why don't they just take the site down?  It's kind of ridiculous at this point.  Anyone knows?

T

Reminds me of some girls I know... All tease and no action

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1907 on: January 22, 2016, 01:09:29 AM »

T

And with no way to even contact (email) them -- it seems pretty worthless at this point.  :-\

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:10:08 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Star Wars posters! OK, what is this?
« Reply #1908 on: February 13, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »
Calling on all British poster experts or anyone else that has a clue. I recently picked this up from the great island of GB home of our Rosa.

It appears to me to be an English 24 sheet, that would be a 12 sheet here in the US, for the Return of the Jedi. The poster is printed in three sections, two are 40x60 and the third is 32x60 give or take a smidge and they overlap as expected. Total measurements are roughly 112" x 60" that's 284cm x 152cm for you metric folks. The image here is a Photoshop merge of the three. The three sections are on the proper paper and are the right printing quality and gloss to be an original piece from the period. It uses the famous Kirby art that is commonly seen on the Quad, obviously cropped. The text is slightly different and in different locations with no sign of manipulation meaning it is likely made from clean art and not a modified quad that has been blown up. An odd part is there is no printer info on it at all but I believe that the right edge has been trimmed which may have cut it off. 

Long story short though I do not know 100% for sure that it is an English 24 sheet and would love any input that anyone may have. I have seen and know of others made for different movies in this size range but this is a first for Jedi. I have also seen and know of other for the Star Wars series including English 12 sheets, etc. using artwork with text in different layouts so it is by no means outside the realm of possibility. One thought is that it may be a poster used for one of the premiers.

Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1909 on: February 13, 2016, 01:03:11 PM »
Text images

Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1910 on: February 13, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
Looks like a UK 24 sheet (aka 48 sheet) measures 120 x 240 inches.  :)

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/index/countries/UK/Britisharticles/BritishPosterSizes.asp

So maybe it's like a half version of that, tho there was no listing/name in the LAMP info for a piece that measures 60 x 120 inches (if that was the original, full size of this piece?)

That must look stunning in person, Mike!   thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:32:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1911 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:21 PM »
Nothing to say but EPIC

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1912 on: February 14, 2016, 03:43:01 AM »
The poster is a UK 12 sheet which has been trimmed.  Shame about the trim, but with pieces like this you have to get them when you can as the chance of another turning up is quite remote. Excellent find, wish I'd seen it.
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1913 on: February 14, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
Well, that sucks big time.  What's up with the Brits cutting their posters all the time.  By the time Jedi came out, weren't they aware that these posters were worth a little bit of money?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1914 on: February 14, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
The poster is a UK 12 sheet which has been trimmed.  Shame about the trim, but with pieces like this you have to get them when you can as the chance of another turning up is quite remote. Excellent find, wish I'd seen it.

Paul, so if the UK 12sheet is approx 60 x 120 inches, (and this piece measures 60 x 112), it sounds like 8" have been 'trimmed' off the right side? Doh.gif

Why would such a large trim have been done? Framing reasons, where it was to have been displayed originally?  crying

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:13:47 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1915 on: February 14, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »
Very cool, Mike! Looks to be in lovely condition. Bet it is quite the statement when laid out in a big space.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1916 on: February 14, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »

T

So no one knows anything about this?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1917 on: February 15, 2016, 06:45:46 AM »
The poster is a UK 12 sheet which has been trimmed.  Shame about the trim, but with pieces like this you have to get them when you can as the chance of another turning up is quite remote. Excellent find, wish I'd seen it.

Thanks for the thoughts, I think you are on the money as well and it is a exactly as you said. Thankfully for the trimmed edge it is just background and no image issues at all. I don't think I would like it much more even if the full edge was there. Considering that I had never heard of one before I don;t expect to see another out there but you never know. One person here has heard of two pieces of another and so far that is all I have been able to track down.

Jeff, yes this thing is absolutely spectacular when seen in person and has made it to one of my top favorite Star Wars posters of all time. Any one piece put up alone would make an awesome display piece. Frankly with my affinity for big paper this thing actually has me damn near giddy with excitement over it. Deliberation (pleading) with the wife is in progress about where to put it up.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1918 on: February 15, 2016, 12:33:05 PM »
Its the kind of piece and imagery that Im sure she can also appreciate. It's such a cool montage, awesome art and tell Mrs Undead that Leia reminds you of her and with this on the wall, it's a total win-win situation.  ;D

Seriously tho, it will be a main focal point, too, Mike, that's for sure!

Congrats again.

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1919 on: February 19, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »

So which panel is trimmed -- right or left? Does the edge look hand cut or machine cut?

Congrats again on scoring this poster!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1920 on: February 19, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »
Most likely the right, though not by as much as Mike thinks, as even though there are 3 60x40 pieces, there would be overlap of around 2" on two of the pieces, so reducing the width by at least 4" or more.

There is a chance it's not trimmed, but we'd need to see another for comparison. Maybe mike needs to look closely at the edges?? but it does seem a couple of inches down...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:13:16 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #1921 on: February 19, 2016, 02:15:38 PM »
damm fine poster, i was one of the underbidders hoping to steal it, glad it went to a good home  ;D

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1922 on: February 20, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
damm fine poster, i was one of the underbidders hoping to steal it, glad it went to a good home  ;D

Thanks

I would say sorry to take it from you but frankly I REALLY am happy with this one, it has definitely made it into my top five all time SW posters list. It will definitely make it onto a wall in time, the colors are as vivid if not more so than the quad, it is really quite incredible in person. As another member here knows I pretty much said mine as soon as I saw it though was worried the whole time Brie would decide he wanted it and bid an absurd amount on it. Now my problem is the OCD part where I need sets. Need to find one for SW and Empire now.

As to the trim it is the very right hand edge of the right panel and is hand cut with scissors, a little uneven. The width of that piece is about 32in wide. There is no imagery missing as a result based on the original art for the quad, only some of the edge background. If the quad is a good reference the trim is only two to four inches total. Using the original Kirby artwork for reference it could be as much as eight but I doubt it. The missing piece give or take would look something like the below image.

Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1923 on: February 20, 2016, 05:11:30 PM »
Thanks

I would say sorry to take it from you but frankly I REALLY am happy with this one, it has definitely made it into my top five all time SW posters list. It will definitely make it onto a wall in time, the colors are as vivid if not more so than the quad, it is really quite incredible in person. As another member here knows I pretty much said mine as soon as I saw it though was worried the whole time Brie would decide he wanted it and bid an absurd amount on it. Now my problem is the OCD part where I need sets. Need to find one for SW and Empire now.

I didn't see it, but if I had won it and realized afterward it was missing something, I would have sold it back to you in an instant.  It is a great piece to be sure, but I have a thing for condition and any missing parts would drive me berserk.  Yes, it's the OCD in me.  I don't think I have a single poster that's missing something and it's one of the reasons why I don't buy linenbacked posters (they're all missing something).  I like my posters as close to mint as humanly possible.  So you would have won it no matter what.  It's nice to see not everyone is as crazy as I am.

T
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 05:23:05 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Mirosae

« Reply #1924 on: February 20, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »
Text images

WHAT A FEAST!! I am so happy for you Mike, cannot imaging a better home for it.

Ps. you are going to need a heck of wall space.. No worries, I will keep your King Kong for you. I can be nice....sometimes... :) ;) :D :D :-[ :P >:D