Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678886 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1750 on: November 17, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
Regrettably no. One day perhaps but not for $3k.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Mirosae

« Reply #1751 on: November 17, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »

Understandable.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1752 on: November 17, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »

That's one cool looking quad, Mike.

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1753 on: November 17, 2015, 12:03:22 PM »
On the new Star Wars Force Awakens posters I think they actually look much better in the quad format. The character posters are well.... let's just make believe they don't exist and leave it at that.

Much more interestingly for those that missed it a very rare Empire Strikes Back "Beware" quad showed up on E-Bay and sold for $3,383. Not overly surprised at this as I have seen far fewer of these than the also highly desirable underground alternate A artwork quad.

Empire Strikes Back BEWARE Quad

Is this a studio issue poster Mike?  I had assumed it was a local job...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1754 on: November 17, 2015, 02:43:33 PM »
I would need to see if I ever made any notes on it over the years but off the top of my head I honestly don't know for sure. I have seen it in person and it was good enough quality and paper that I thought it was studio but do not remember any of the usual border/edge nomenclature so am not 100% sure. The famous underground quad does have normal nomenclature.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1755 on: November 17, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »
Zoinks!  Seems like a lot of Star Wars stuff is quite the ticket right now.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1756 on: November 17, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
There have been some real rarities that have popped up in the last month and coming I would imagine at Bruces auction and likely others.

There has been the Beware ESB advance, an ESB A International one sheet (alternate Gone with the Wind art), Jedi three and Six Sheets, SW Hildebrandt quad, SW Concert Poster and several others that do not appear every day. Not a good time to have paid for a large wedding it seems, I could only watch and wish they all went to me.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1757 on: November 18, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »
I bid on that Empire Quad, thought I may steal it, but too many had seen it. My 500 bid was nowhere near. Did you win it Mike? Or anyone on here?
It's more than a Hobby...

GeneralVeers

« Reply #1758 on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »
There have been some real rarities that have popped up in the last month and coming I would imagine at Bruces auction and likely others.

There has been the Beware ESB advance, an ESB A International one sheet (alternate Gone with the Wind art), Jedi three and Six Sheets, SW Hildebrandt quad, SW Concert Poster and several others that do not appear every day. Not a good time to have paid for a large wedding it seems, I could only watch and wish they all went to me.

The high prices being realized for Star Wars may be part of the reason so many of the rarer posters are showing up in the marketplace.

Mirosae

« Reply #1759 on: November 18, 2015, 12:39:01 PM »
I bid on that Empire Quad, thought I may steal it, but too many had seen it. My 500 bid was nowhere near. Did you win it Mike? Or anyone on here?

Sorry about that Paul....somehow I thought you already had one..!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1760 on: November 18, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
No, though would have been nice, seeing the price it brought.. :D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1761 on: November 18, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
The high prices being realized for Star Wars may be part of the reason so many of the rarer posters are showing up in the marketplace.

People are hoping to cash in on the hype and buildup.

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1762 on: November 18, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »

No  :( Sadly I am out of the buying race until I recover some financially from the wedding. I was in for it up to $600 but could not spend more than that at the moment for that one. There are a few foreign rarities I may pony up for now but not many and many of them are in the price range of some of the earlier Lithis I want more like the Italian Adventures of Robin Hood so given the choice as much as I love Star Wars I will spend it on that one first.

When things calm down a bit I will likely go back to trying to finish off the Japanese B1 set and find a few of the B0's I like. I think I have all but one of the one sheets, NSS and studio, for the first three films replaced from the theft, thankfully did that before the inexorable climb in prices. Managed to complete a full Lamy set this summer, that's the Star Fall and its unnamed Yamakatsu brother advertising poster that is almost as rare but not worth much it seems, along with a set of the unopened card packs they were both used to advertise. Beyond that unless I start going for six and 24 sheets there is not much interesting me at the moment, I won't go near Episodes I-III. Even sent some of the duplicates to Bruce for the December auction cleaning up the collection a bit.

For a lot of them I think you hit it on the head General. Others it is just dumb luck I think. The International ESB one sheet for example I am sure the seller had no clue about but was smiling all the way to the bank after selling as an example.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:56:59 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1764 on: November 18, 2015, 11:24:02 PM »
1976 Star Wars??  My mind, 'tis blown

Surprised you did not know about that one Vic.

Ha's background description is actually pretty good. The really cool thing is the logo on it in my opinion, it is the very first SW logo ever used for a publicly released piece. The first movie poster though used the second logo with the pointed bottom W used on the first advance Mylar and then the final logo with the font we are all familiar with today came into being on the second advance which replaced the mylar. An interesting note is the pointed bottom W was actually used in a few places before the mylar poster was produced including the theater owners program which was sent to certain theaters in a white box sealed with black tape bearing the early logo, also dated 1976 and was a full 11x14 with awesome color pictures in it similar to the lobby card set.

For those looking to buy one, beware, there are a few very good bootlegs out there but the reds are off looking more orange so be careful when looking to buy one.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #1765 on: November 19, 2015, 12:05:33 AM »

Ha's background description is actually pretty good. The really cool thing is the logo on it in my opinion, it is the very first SW logo ever used for a publicly released piece. The first movie poster though used the second logo with the pointed bottom W used on the first advance Mylar and then the final logo with the font we are all familiar with today came into being on the second advance which replaced the mylar. An interesting note is the pointed bottom W was actually used in a few places before the mylar poster was produced including the theater owners program which was sent to certain theaters in a white box sealed with black tape bearing the early logo, also dated 1976 and was a full 11x14 with awesome color pictures in it similar to the lobby card set.

For those looking to buy one, beware, there are a few very good bootlegs out there but the reds are off looking more orange so be careful when looking to buy one.

Mike your Star Wars knowledge is once again amazing.....but the best part is that you take the time to share those tidbits.  the more I know the more I realize the less I know. :)
your Karma is is strong and you are due to find some great SW pieces in your future.  notworthy.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1766 on: November 19, 2015, 01:27:58 AM »

Awesome, Mike.

clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #1767 on: November 19, 2015, 03:38:22 AM »
Hey Mike I remember you mentioning that you once upon a time sold Star Wars information guides on Ebay. Are these still around? Your knowledge astounds me. I really only have a short list for my Star Wars wants, 3 to 6 ish. Would be nice to read some solid information.
This Space For Rent!

Mirosae

« Reply #1768 on: November 19, 2015, 09:34:16 AM »
Mike your Star Wars knowledge is once again amazing.....but the best part is that you take the time to share those tidbits.  the more I know the more I realize the less I know. :)
your Karma is is strong and you are due to find some great SW pieces in your future.  notworthy.gif

Well put

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1769 on: November 19, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »
yes Mike wrote the book on SW... just like Jason invented lenticular technology.

Really though, this is obviously what inspired Chantrell and Jung right?

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1770 on: November 19, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »
Hey Mike I remember you mentioning that you once upon a time sold Star Wars information guides on Ebay. Are these still around? Your knowledge astounds me. I really only have a short list for my Star Wars wants, 3 to 6 ish. Would be nice to read some solid information.

Always happy to share.

I sold it in the mid/late 90's on E-Bay as the unofficial guide to Star Wars posters but do not have any left and have not seen one myself pop up for years. I have tried finding the old computer files for it for a revisit but so far have only found parts of a first draft, very incomplete, and the cover mock up. Sadly the hard drive that it was on along with some really awesome stupidly high res scans that were on it were lost when the hard drive they were on fried. I keep hoping every time I find another old disc that there will be a backup on it but no luck so far. I do plan to add the info though to the poster ID site I "plan" to build at posterfrom.com. That is some time off yet as creating a proper database for it and all of the background code with usable navigation is very time consuming. Until it is done though, feel free to ask questions. If I know the answer I will tell, if not then I will admit it and add it to the research list.

There are some really awesome books out there now most notably the Star Wars Poster Book, out of print, that are worth picking up but to date mine was the only in depth guide to ID'ing real vs. later print vs. reprint vs. bootleg that I am aware of to date. It honestly was more of an ID guide than a history guide. There are a few sites that show some of it but not with all the big red arrows pointing to the little things. Information is also spotty in many cases on them. Whatever you do don't go to that Professor Powers thing unless you want a good laugh.

As always if I ever say anything that anyone feels is incorrect or has evidence of anything else please tell me. I am always looking to learn more myself.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:39:29 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1771 on: November 19, 2015, 02:46:50 PM »
Really though, this is obviously what inspired Chantrell and Jung right?

This is just personal opinion but I think Ralph McQuarrie's character concept work inspired Chaykin and he then put them into the familiar montage layout that gets repeated over the years.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:47:14 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1772 on: November 19, 2015, 07:16:48 PM »
Always happy to share.

I sold it in the mid/late 90's on E-Bay as the unofficial guide to Star Wars posters but do not have any left and have not seen one myself pop up for years. I have tried finding the old computer files for it for a revisit but so far have only found parts of a first draft, very incomplete, and the cover mock up. Sadly the hard drive that it was on along with some really awesome stupidly high res scans that were on it were lost when the hard drive they were on fried. I keep hoping every time I find another old disc that there will be a backup on it but no luck so far. I do plan to add the info though to the poster ID site I "plan" to build at posterfrom.com. That is some time off yet as creating a proper database for it and all of the background code with usable navigation is very time consuming. Until it is done though, feel free to ask questions. If I know the answer I will tell, if not then I will admit it and add it to the research list.

There are some really awesome books out there now most notably the Star Wars Poster Book, out of print, that are worth picking up but to date mine was the only in depth guide to ID'ing real vs. later print vs. reprint vs. bootleg that I am aware of to date. It honestly was more of an ID guide than a history guide. There are a few sites that show some of it but not with all the big red arrows pointing to the little things. Information is also spotty in many cases on them. Whatever you do don't go to that Professor Powers thing unless you want a good laugh.

As always if I ever say anything that anyone feels is incorrect or has evidence of anything else please tell me. I am always looking to learn more myself.

I can relate to that HD pain, Mike.  I'm sure many of us can.  crying

-Jeff

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #1773 on: November 21, 2015, 01:25:16 AM »
Always happy to share.

That is too bad man. It sounds like it would have been a great guide to have a copy of. If you find it in the future, I would be interested in seeing it. This is the primary reason I put an external solid state drive on my Christmas List!!!

There are really only 3 to 6 or 2 each from Star Empire Jedi posters I want. I know there is a lot of paper for those 3 films, and I do love the films as much as most, but I will leave these to the hardcore Star Wars collectors. I already have 100+ of the Vintage figs. Original At-At, At-St, land speeder, scout bikes, Falcon, Rancor Monster and a few blaster. They are not mint or NIB, but they are my childhood toys and for me that is more valuable.  I am torn between a large display box to hang in my future theater room, or something like this http://scifidesign.com/2015/11/05/this-shadow-box-coffee-table-will-display-your-star-wars-figures/. Got a bit off topic there.....if I do have any questions I know where to send them! Thank you
This Space For Rent!

Mirosae

« Reply #1774 on: November 21, 2015, 07:25:33 AM »
I second what Chris said. Not a secret that I do no collect SW posters, but I appreciate the education.  I do like the advance for one of those film. Cannot say which film. I am lost with the pre post episodes Star Jedi Returns to Empire to back Wars .. See? Im lost already.

Point is, as a collector I do find rather interesting all these fascination with SW and memorabilia. Always good to learn more. For sure.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:26:41 AM by Mirosae »