Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678601 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1725 on: October 25, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »
Lucas' lack of involvement is, I believe, the best thing that could have ever happened to the Star Wars franchise.  Remove the hack.  The guy had a great idea way back in the mid 70s and that's pretty much it.  I talked to half a dozen people who worked on Star Wars and the concensus is that Lucas got extremely lucky.  His movie came together thanks to special effects that could or could not have worked, under the supervision of anyone but Lucas.  Then Kershner and Marquand too over and delivered what Lucas could have only dreamt of delivering.  The last 3 are all Lucas and it shows.  Shit, shit and shit.  People sometimes forget that it takes a village to make a movie, and in the case of Lucas, the village had lost its mayor a long long time ago.

T

Biggest influence(s) over the success of Star Wars '77 was Lucas telling his story draped with Ralph McQuarrie's unique and beautiful artistic vision of the SW idea.
Three fresh faces (Ford, Hamill and Fisher), John Williams score, and ILM's SPX sealed the deal.

I've always felt that George Lucas gets the short end of the stick in comparisons with Kershner and Marquand.
IMO, the first film is a directorial masterpiece on all levels.
Empire and Jedi are both terrific because Lucas continued to produce and edit.

Your consensus of six (6) people 'who worked on Star Wars' is that Lucas got 'extremely lucky.'
I'm not sure what this means.
Lady Luck is always present when a film is released to the public and all the big winners are all extremely lucky.
Are they insinuating that he was so incompetent that it was 'luck' that delivered a finished film?
Or that he was lucky because his team came together and delivered what he could not?
Or, just lucky that the public embraced such a flawed film? (Sarcasm)

Lest no one forget, it was Lucas who created Darth Vader, Jedi Knights, the Millennium Falcon, Ob-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and on and on.
And then he oversaw every line of dialogue, every onscreen movement, every special effect.
Those movies were all his 'babies' and he did a remarkable job bringing them all to life.

I say all, but I mean the original trilogy only.
He should have followed his instincts after Jedi and walked away before the prequels.

As for where the franchise goes from here...
From what I've seen Abrams accomplish with Roddenberry's Star Trek, I'm not confident that Awaken will be anything more than another expensive, scene-by-scene 'nod and a wink' homage to another visionary's work.

Mirosae

« Reply #1726 on: October 27, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »
Thank you. Very interesting reading. I always thought that Lucas was very involved. I seem to recall reading about it somewhere. But I certainly cannot claim to be an expert on the subject.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1727 on: October 27, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
Thanks, Rosa.
I've always found it funny how producer Spielberg gets all the glory for films his directors direct, while Lucas does not.

Like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
 wynk

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
« Reply #1728 on: October 29, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »
Couldn't agree more!

Biggest influence(s) over the success of Star Wars '77 was Lucas telling his story draped with Ralph McQuarrie's unique and beautiful artistic vision of the SW idea.
Three fresh faces (Ford, Hamill and Fisher), John Williams score, and ILM's SPX sealed the deal.

I've always felt that George Lucas gets the short end of the stick in comparisons with Kershner and Marquand.
IMO, the first film is a directorial masterpiece on all levels.
Empire and Jedi are both terrific because Lucas continued to produce and edit.

Your consensus of six (6) people 'who worked on Star Wars' is that Lucas got 'extremely lucky.'
I'm not sure what this means.
Lady Luck is always present when a film is released to the public and all the big winners are all extremely lucky.
Are they insinuating that he was so incompetent that it was 'luck' that delivered a finished film?
Or that he was lucky because his team came together and delivered what he could not?
Or, just lucky that the public embraced such a flawed film? (Sarcasm)

Lest no one forget, it was Lucas who created Darth Vader, Jedi Knights, the Millennium Falcon, Ob-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and on and on.
And then he oversaw every line of dialogue, every onscreen movement, every special effect.
Those movies were all his 'babies' and he did a remarkable job bringing them all to life.

I say all, but I mean the original trilogy only.
He should have followed his instincts after Jedi and walked away before the prequels.

As for where the franchise goes from here...
From what I've seen Abrams accomplish with Roddenberry's Star Trek, I'm not confident that Awaken will be anything more than another expensive, scene-by-scene 'nod and a wink' homage to another visionary's work.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1729 on: November 01, 2015, 12:40:55 PM »
Wrong thread...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:43:20 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1730 on: November 01, 2015, 05:01:38 PM »
Speaking of wrong threads I watched Blade Runner last night.. Why is the poster so popular the movie Is not that great, super slow...not to offend any fans but man was I ever dissapointed I was all psyched for a great flick.  I can't believe I hadn't seen it in the first place, maybe I had, either way

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1731 on: November 01, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
Speaking of wrong threads I watched Blade Runner last night.. Why is the poster so popular the movie Is not that great, super slow...not to offend any fans but man was I ever dissapointed I was all psyched for a great flick.  I can't believe I hadn't seen it in the first place, maybe I had, either way

This needs a thread, I don't get it thread, I disagree about BR, but I have a list, oh such a list of WTF film do people see?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Mirosae

« Reply #1732 on: November 01, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
Speaking of wrong threads I watched Blade Runner last night.. Why is the poster so popular the movie Is not that great, super slow...not to offend any fans but man was I ever dissapointed I was all psyched for a great flick.  I can't believe I hadn't seen it in the first place, maybe I had, either way

Olé. Eso es una opinion. :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:15:17 PM by Mirosae »

guest8

« Reply #1733 on: November 04, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1734 on: November 04, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »
I almost wouldn't recognise her.

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #1735 on: November 04, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »
I almost wouldn't recognise her.

I didnt the first time scrolling through but once I looked at it, I saw those eyes and knew.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1736 on: November 04, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »
god, she looks s bit like my mother-in-law now... (don't say anything Steve, DONT SAY ANYTHING)

Mirosae

« Reply #1737 on: November 05, 2015, 05:41:02 AM »
god, she looks s bit like my mother-in-law now... (don't say anything Steve, DONT SAY ANYTHING)

She looks like a tough lady.

:P  Clearly the Force is with you!

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1738 on: November 11, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »
For a flash moment I thought she was Sigourney Weaver

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1739 on: November 13, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1740 on: November 13, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
Is that the new ad campaign for the Scotch produced by GlenSW, called "Force38"?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:42:02 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #1741 on: November 13, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
I thought that was judge Judy for a second :-X

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1742 on: November 13, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1743 on: November 13, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »
I thought that was judge Judy for a second :-X

LOVE Judge Judy!!!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bH57MnJIjkc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bH57MnJIjkc</a>

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1744 on: November 13, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »
Finally a design I like.

thumbup

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1745 on: November 13, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
Maybe a tad smaller?
Like the handout it will probably be.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1746 on: November 13, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »
Not too sure I like the way they trimmed the bottom...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1747 on: November 14, 2015, 12:14:38 AM »
They could trim it to the title..

BORING!

;D

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1748 on: November 17, 2015, 09:35:37 AM »
On the new Star Wars Force Awakens posters I think they actually look much better in the quad format. The character posters are well.... let's just make believe they don't exist and leave it at that.

Much more interestingly for those that missed it a very rare Empire Strikes Back "Beware" quad showed up on E-Bay and sold for $3,383. Not overly surprised at this as I have seen far fewer of these than the also highly desirable underground alternate A artwork quad.

Empire Strikes Back BEWARE Quad
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Mirosae

« Reply #1749 on: November 17, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
I like that Quad. Do you own a copy?

On the new Star Wars Force Awakens posters I think they actually look much better in the quad format. The character posters are well.... let's just make believe they don't exist and leave it at that.

Much more interestingly for those that missed it a very rare Empire Strikes Back "Beware" quad showed up on E-Bay and sold for $3,383. Not overly surprised at this as I have seen far fewer of these than the also highly desirable underground alternate A artwork quad.

Empire Strikes Back BEWARE Quad