Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678904 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1150 on: May 07, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »
And what is considered "close to the asking price?" Those final numbers are no longer viewable... but then again...

Maybe it sold for $2380.75, with shipping included.  :P

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1151 on: May 07, 2014, 12:21:44 AM »
One things for sure...it won't be 2,380 next time. ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1152 on: May 07, 2014, 12:34:13 AM »
And what is considered "close to the asking price?" Those final numbers are no longer viewable... but then again...

Maybe it sold for $2380.75, with shipping included.  :P

It sold for somewhere between $2,195 and $2,395 - so a $200 range is pretty close to asking
Chris

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1153 on: May 07, 2014, 12:34:36 AM »

Maybe it sold for $2380.75, with shipping included.  :P

It sold for exactly $2,250.00. I can pull records up to a certain age and see the BIN price in most cases.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:35:28 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1154 on: May 07, 2014, 12:55:38 AM »
Good info there, Mike.

thumbup

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1155 on: May 07, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »
I don't know if this has been posted yet...

Incredible illustrations by artist Ralph McQuarrie

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1156 on: May 07, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »
Yes, I had the Ralph McQuarrie portfolio back in the 1970s and it occasionally pops up at auction:

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161345&lotNo=52466

George Lucas has often said that Star Wars would never have been made without McQuarrie's concept art, which "sold" the movie to skeptical Fox executives.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1157 on: May 07, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »
I quite like the Star Wars Teaser Style B, much more than I thought I would:

Hmmmm, something is still missing....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:04:54 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1158 on: May 07, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »
It ain't necessarily that great, but here's a 27x41 30th Anniversary poster:

Star Wars Ralph McQuarrie Tribute Poster by Lawrence Noble: 27” x 41” Edition of 2000. Sold exclusively at Star Wars Celebration Japan 08 to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars in Japan. Ralph Mcquarrie.net: “In 1976, visionary artist Ralph McQuarrie created a concept for a Star Wars one-sheet poster that would inspire artists around the globe; Darth Vader standing before the Death Star, towering over our young heroes. Ralph retired in the late 90s, never having completed a painting of his original poster concept. This piece of Star Wars history has been missing until now. As a tribute to McQuarrie, noted artist and sculptor Lawrence Noble picked up a paintbrush for the first time in years to complete a painting based on Ralph’s original concept art. "We wanted to do this in the style of a poster from 1977. It was a wonderful project to work on - I enjoyed picking up a paint brush after so long. The poster was even produced in the same size (27" x 41") as the original Star Wars 1977 Theatrical U.S. one-sheet," notes Noble."

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1159 on: May 08, 2014, 06:48:34 PM »
I have one of these McQuarrie-Noble posters.
I love the way it depicts the simple style of the original film.
Did you locate one of these for your collection, Mel?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1160 on: May 08, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »
I have one of these McQuarrie-Noble posters.
I love the way it depicts the simple style of the original film.
Did you locate one of these for your collection, Mel?

Re-release posters ain't my thing nowadays.  I consigned most of them and good riddance....

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1161 on: May 08, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »
Re-release posters ain't my thing nowadays.  I consigned most of them and good riddance....

It's not a re-release.
It's a 30th anniversary poster designed by the guy who shaped the look of the Star Wars universe.
And from what I can tell, it is getting harder and harder to find.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1162 on: May 08, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »
I prayed to the Google God and was able to find them here:

http://dreamsandvisionspress.com/lawrencenoblemcquarriestarwarstributeposter.aspx

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1163 on: May 08, 2014, 11:50:50 PM »
$20 would seem to be a very reasonable price for this poster
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1164 on: May 10, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
To clarify my prior response, somebody once told me "I don't collect re-release posters."  At the time I though that was wrong and ridiculous but over time you realize that you really want the best originals and the re-release posters are just substitutes or unnecessary extras.

So at one time I had 30+ Star Wars posters, including all the prequel posters and original series re-release posters.  Now I've cut down my collection down to the best 9 posters IMO (the Australian one sheet is not shown below).  The only thing I really still want is the mylar teaser advance ("Coming to Your Galaxy This Summer").  I'd like to get the Concert poster but that's way out my budget range.  The original promo poster is pretty ugly.

check = still owned
x = once owned, now sold
strike out = no interest

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:05:49 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #1165 on: May 12, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »
I think you need to collect the original quads, the art on them is spectacular.... Quads rule! (oh no not that again)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1166 on: May 12, 2014, 08:37:16 AM »
I think you need to collect the original quads, the art on them is spectacular.... Quads rule! (oh no not that again)

Actually, most of the original trilogy quads are pretty good and the first release Hildebrant quad is a "must" (although much too expensive for me).  Here are a few:

http://www.filmquadposters.co.uk/starwars.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:38:31 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1167 on: May 12, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »
Quads, yes, but I would encourage some to forgo their half sheet prejudices if only for this title as it's the best US art for the original film.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1168 on: May 12, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

Whohoo... happy1

Actually, most of the original trilogy quads are pretty good and the first release Hildebrant quad is a "must" (although much too expensive for me).  Here are a few:

http://www.filmquadposters.co.uk/starwars.html

Errr, eh, what... uhno .....Mel said,   .........   jawdrop
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #1169 on: May 12, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
Simon Pegg (actor / director) has this one in his office. Thought you might find it ....amusing?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1170 on: May 12, 2014, 03:04:14 PM »
I own a few SW posters myself, but I'm still missing 24 posters (a few domestic but mostly intl.) to call my collection complete.  One at a time.  I know that the last one I purchase (just because I have to) will be the Birthday style.  It's so damn fugly I'm having a hard time convincing myself to add it to my collection.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1171 on: May 12, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »
I know that feeling, but you won't be able to live with yourself it you don't have it....  just use it as a liner in the bottom of a drawer.. ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1172 on: May 12, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
I know that feeling, but you won't be able to live with yourself it you don't have it....  just use it as a liner in the bottom of a drawer.. ;D

I know, but I still have 23 other posters to get before I get that one, so some good times ahead :)

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1173 on: May 12, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
Somebody sent this email and photo to me today:

I was visiting with family tonight and was told about the rarity of a poster we have. My dad obtained 5 of them from Gary Kurtz which were signed by Gary and George Lucas. My dad has a picture with Gary Kurtz from when he received them. I have read on your website about many fakes out there and I really wanted to know if this one is really worth a lot. I believe it is not a fake. A photo is attached. All 5 are still in the family. What is the PG box mentioned on your website?

The laser fire is there and it's tri-folded, so (assuming it's 27x41) it's an original Style C.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:53:36 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1174 on: May 13, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »
Bigger question is does he really need 5 of the same poster?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,