Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678878 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #975 on: September 01, 2013, 03:38:58 AM »
I do agree, you have to do what you want, and what makes you happy.

However, personally I only go for Main cast, Director, or any other important figure connected to the film.  As an example I had the Main 4 cast sign my Dawn of the Dead Quad. Also George Romero, and Tom Savini.  I had the chance to get the others in minor rolls who had played Zombies, but I drew the line there.  If I wanted their signature I'd have got it on a still or something, which can always stay with the poster.

I usually think, I or my kids may need to sell these at some point...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #976 on: September 01, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
Oh I am going to get them to sign it, I was just curious how you guys viewed it. They're uncredited so it's kinda like "who are they?" ya know.

Personally, I don't like signatures on my poster. I feel it takes away from them. But that's just my personal opinion. The only signed poster I have is the Concert poster which came that way (Lucas). If I had a choice, I would have paid the same amount unsigned. Especially with Lucas's signature which is very.....simple. I'm not sure if it could be authenticated properly since there isn't much of it. The fact that it came from a respected collector via a major auction house might help.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #977 on: September 01, 2013, 07:39:35 PM »
Found an old pic of the happy birthday I happily sold 5 years ago..

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Dcollins85

« Reply #978 on: September 14, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »
Peter Mayhew has destroyed my poster.....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #979 on: September 14, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »
What does that even say (besides Mayhew at the bottom)?
Chris

Dcollins85

« Reply #980 on: September 14, 2013, 07:39:57 PM »
It's supposed to say Peter Mayhew Chewbacca.... the clear writing below it is where I put his name on the plastic I have over the poster for travel so the Actors know where I want it signed.... I'll get a clearer picture.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:44:30 PM by Dcollins85 »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #981 on: September 14, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
What do you expect from someone who is known to pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose.

But in all seriousness, that sucks :(

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #982 on: September 14, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »
So how did it get messed up so terribly?
Chris

Dcollins85

« Reply #983 on: September 14, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
He said his sharpie and the humidity didn't mix. That's why he doesn't sign things anymore, he signs the plastic his 8x10 pictures are in... I don't want a piece of plastic signed... Dave Prowse signature turned out fine... he didn't sign it where I wanted but it was still a good signature...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #984 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
Dag nab it, that sucks.
Although when I got Christopher lees signature the first pen I gave didn't work, and the replacement was a different colour so you can see the first attempt faintly, and I kinda like it now, cos its a funny memory of being embarrassed in front of my hero, haha.

Maybe you'll grow to love  it in an offbeat way.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dcollins85

« Reply #985 on: September 17, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »
I contacted Peter Mayhew via E-mail and I got a response that night. He said he would sign it and ship it back to me at no cost. He knew what signature I was talking about and he felt bad about it. So I found a way to remove his bad signature with minimal damage to the poster. So... here's hoping!

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #986 on: September 17, 2013, 03:38:09 AM »
...the first pen I gave didn't work, and the replacement was a different colour so you can see the first attempt faintly...

That happened to me with Spike Lee and a "Do the Right Thing" poster. The first pen didn't work because of the angle he was holding it - he took another pen off of someone to sign again and apologised to me (!) for leaving an impression from the first. It didn't bother me in the least and was barely noticeable.

... I found a way to remove his bad signature with minimal damage to the poster...

How did you do this please?

Mark

Dcollins85

« Reply #987 on: September 17, 2013, 09:58:25 AM »
Well actually it was my wife who did it. Since the poster was ruined in my eyes she said she wanted to try something. She lightly went over a small part of the signature with a dry erase marker and then used a dry marker eraser and wiped it off. She spent about 2 hours on it because she didn't want to ruin it. You don't want to push really hard, just enough to re-wet the original Sharpie.

Charlie

« Reply #988 on: September 17, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »
Well actually it was my wife who did it. Since the poster was ruined in my eyes she said she wanted to try something. She lightly went over a small part of the signature with a dry erase marker and then used a dry marker eraser and wiped it off. She spent about 2 hours on it because she didn't want to ruin it. You don't want to push really hard, just enough to re-wet the original Sharpie.

Interesting... I will have to try this...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #989 on: September 17, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »
I think that is really good of Peter to re-sign it, and ship it back for you.  Shame a few more weren't like him.

I do have a Premature Burial foh still signed twice by Hazel Court, she signed it in Silver and then said it doesn't show
up to well so she signed it in another place in Blue...

Edit, found the still..

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:43:29 PM by paul waines »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #990 on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »
I think that is really good of Peter to re-sign it, and ship it back for you.  Shame a few more weren't like him.

Hope that all goes well for you, DCollins85.  :)

The one question, tho, that hit me is this:  With the poster being sent out, and then mailed back like this, how would one know, for certain, that Mayhew actually signed it, or if it was an auto pen signature, or simply someone that works for him that can replicate his autograph (as is/was so often done)?

-Jeff

Dcollins85

« Reply #991 on: September 18, 2013, 12:40:01 AM »
I went to the official Peter Mayhew website, then went to Contact Us. From there I emailed Peter Mayhew ( or who I assume someone he has that looks over the site ), I wasn't expecting a reply back for a week or two honestly. I received an email from someone else, and I looked them up.

Hi Daniel,
  My name is Ryan Ziegler. I'm helping manage Peter and Angie's email while he's in recovery from surgery.  I brought this to their attention. There will be no charge for the signature and they will pay the return shipping.  At the moment, Peter is in recovery from double knee replacement surgery, so they've requested you wait at least 2 weeks to send it (basically when he'll shift to outpatient physical therapy). 

Send it UPS or FedEx not USPS as they don't deliver properly to the house.
Peter Mayhew

( I took out the address but it checks out ).

W Ryan Ziegler

W Ryan Ziegler wrote a book about Peter Mayhew called Standing In The Stars: The Peter Mayhew Story.

All this is strong evidence in my opinion that I am not sending it to anyone other than Peter Mayhew. As far as a stamped signature, I can't say until I see how it comes back. Seeing as how they want me to wait a couple weeks, I think if they were just going to stamp it or replicate his signature they'd tell me to just send it in now. Why have me wait if he isn't going to be the one signing it?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #992 on: September 18, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
Jeff, I've met Peter a couple of times, and he is a Jollyfine fellow, if he says he will sign it, it will be by his own hand. Unlike many I could mention.... eyeroll

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #993 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
Good to know Mayhew will be the one to sign it, then. Good for you, DCollins. Congrats!   thumbup  (as many actors, I'm sure, don't sign themselves, especially if a signature is initially requested thru the post).

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #994 on: September 18, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
Double knee surgery?
Poor guy.  That has got to be a bitch.

Dcollins85

« Reply #995 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Went to Crypticon in Minneapolis over the weekend. Corey Dee Williams, Billy Dee Williams & Stephen Costantino where there. It was amazing how much Corey Dee Williams looks like young Billy Dee Williams. I got all 3 of their autographs, they turned out well. Billy Dee Williams insisted on signing his in blue, it's still visible but I would of preferred silver. I wasn't going to argue with Lando so I can live with it. There was an older gentleman dressed up as a Grand Moff Tarkin look alike, he had it spot on. He was apart of the 501st and he was telling me about how George Lucas called for one person from each 501st division around the world and had them march down the street for Star Wars Celebration one year, he said he got a ton of autographs on his poster that year. His poster had so many autographs on it that it would of taken a long time to figure out what each one was. The Crypticon was pretty amateur, but I would go again next year if they have different Star Wars actors.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #996 on: October 02, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »
Here's something for you all:
Star Wars Artwork Acetate

My mate managed to get hold of the ORIGINAL acetate of the artwork used to produce the Star Wars Chantrell poster.
Basically, this acetate was used to produce the art on the poster - the next best thing to having the original artwork itself.

If anyone is seriously interested in it, it will be going to auction in three weeks time.
It is stunning!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:30:46 PM by bondposters »
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #997 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
Here's something for you all:
Star Wars Artwork Acetate

My mate managed to get hold of the ORIGINAL acetate of the artwork used to produce the Star Wars Chantrell poster.
Basically, this acetate was used to produce the art on the poster - the next best thing to having the original artwork itself.

If anyone is seriously interested in it, it will be going to auction in three weeks time.
It is stunning!

That is very cool, Adam. And the colors on that acetate just pop!

Beautiful.

thumbup

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #998 on: October 02, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Even better on the screen, full size...you can see the brush strokes of the painting!
I hope my mate does well out of it the lucky sod lol!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #999 on: October 02, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »
So it was donated and now up for auction?  Is it a charity auction?
Chris