Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 678622 times)

Mirosae

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #875 on: April 15, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
Apparently, that was the U.K. depositary for used British posters. Hence there's a few Irish chaps with some
Very scarce British Quad posters.... Lucky sods..

Says Mr Quad, or the one who has them all (or nearly all!) ;)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #876 on: April 15, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
I wish.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #877 on: April 24, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »
Picked up this Drew Struzan 1987 Kilian one sheet from Richie for a reasonable price tonight.

What comes around goes around.  I bought one of these back in the 1980s when they first came out.  That copy long ago disappeared....

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:43:17 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Through the Stones

« Reply #878 on: April 24, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »
Great poster Mel!  I love this design.  I've owned mine for ten or so years and I've still never been able to get it to lay flat!  Out of curiosity, hat number out of 3000 is it?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #879 on: April 25, 2013, 01:24:16 AM »
Great poster Mel!  I love this design.  I've owned mine for ten or so years and I've still never been able to get it to lay flat!  Out of curiosity, hat number out of 3000 is it?

2469/3000, but I've never paid much attention to printing number....

Through the Stones

« Reply #880 on: April 25, 2013, 02:23:08 AM »
I've often wondered what other thought about printing number and if they think it adds value or not.  Mine is 347/3000 but, I'm kinda in the same boat, number doesn't really matter for me.  Again, great addition Mel!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #881 on: April 25, 2013, 07:48:53 AM »
I've often wondered what other thought about printing number and if they think it adds value or not.  Mine is 347/3000 but, I'm kinda in the same boat, number doesn't really matter for me.  Again, great addition Mel!

Go hang out on ExpressoBeans.com with the Mondo fanboys if you can stand it. They're obsessed with such frippery.  Low numbers!  Matching numbers!  It's all VERY IMPORTANT stuffz....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:49:44 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #882 on: April 25, 2013, 12:23:29 PM »
I've often wondered what other thought about printing number and if they think it adds value or not.  Mine is 347/3000 but, I'm kinda in the same boat, number doesn't really matter for me.  Again, great addition Mel!

This is always a question I wondered about, too, and just now decided to look it up. I found a gallery here in Los Angeles that presented this question in their Q&A section, re limited edition, fine art prints.  Here's what Gallery Brown (http://www.gallerybrown.com/collecting.html) had to say:

Many clients see a work of art in the gallery and say,

"Oh, it's 2/200... it's a low number, that's good, right?"

This is a very common misconception. All numbers of an edition are of equal value. Whether a client acquires impression 2/200, 19/200 or AP (Artists Proof) 3/31, all prints are of equal value.

The exception to this is if the print is different in some way. In the case of Andy Warhol, he created trial proofs (TPs). These prints are part of the tirage (total number printed in a limited edition), however, they are each a unique color combination, and they are worth more because of their uniqueness.

So, to clarify, in the above example, 200 prints are all of equal value, because they are the same.

I'm thinking the same idea would apply to limited edition, special movie poster prints, too?  

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:04:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #883 on: April 25, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »
I have seen many times a Number 1 sell for more than the other numbers in a run.

I don't collect prints as such, however I would myself pay a bit more for a #1 if it was a print I really wanted. I only have two prints and one of them is AP1 of 10...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #884 on: April 25, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »
I think because there are many collectors of limited prints that desire and want the lower number in the edition, galleries price accordingly. (I have seen prints priced this way in galleries, according to edition # too).

Number one, tho, would be a good one to have - no pun intended. :)

I looked at another blog where someone was asking about limited edition books. The same ideology was presented for these, as well.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #886 on: April 25, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »
OT but you'd be surprised how much this sold for:

Click the image to find out.....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #887 on: April 25, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »
Not at all really - I actually had the entire vintage Kenner line (uncarded of course) and sold them together to get my 1st car  ;D
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #888 on: April 25, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »
Picked up this Drew Struzan 1987 Kilian one sheet from Richie for a reasonable price tonight.

What comes around goes around.  I bought one of these back in the 1980s when they first came out.  That copy long ago disappeared....

I love this poster, Mel.
Mine is signed and numbered by Struzan.
Is yours also?

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #889 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »

I'm actually surprised it only went for that. I would have guessed much more.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #890 on: April 25, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »
Hey, Enki.
Is yours signed and numbered?  Were they all signed and numbered?
Anybody know?

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #891 on: April 25, 2013, 10:45:12 PM »
Hey, Enki.
Anybody know?

I actually don't have this poster (yet). I do like the art work though.

AFAIK, they are all signed and numbered (1-3000).

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #892 on: April 25, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »
Yes, that's what I am finding.  He signed and numbered each.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #893 on: April 26, 2013, 12:35:32 AM »
Hey, Enki.
Anybody know?

There are actually two versions signed and unsigned. I have owned both over the years.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:36:11 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Through the Stones

« Reply #894 on: April 26, 2013, 02:36:41 AM »

Click the image to find out.....

Gees!  I think I we popped two of these EXACT Darth Vader heads off while playing with them, also the original Luke, Leia and Obi Wan heads before my mom told us she wouldn't buy us anymore if we couldn't play nicer... if I only knew now what I didn't know then...

Through the Stones

« Reply #895 on: April 26, 2013, 02:39:56 AM »
I actually don't have this poster (yet). I do like the art work though.

AFAIK, they are all signed and numbered (1-3000).

I wonder how long that takes a guy to sign and number 3000 of something like that... I mean, you can't just go at them all at once or you would think your signature would get worse and worse from your wrist getting tired.  Although, I guess drawing and painting IS what the guy does for a living so...

Mirosae

« Reply #896 on: April 26, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
I wonder how long that takes a guy to sign and number 3000 of something like that... I mean, you can't just go at them all at once or you would think your signature would get worse and worse from your wrist getting tired.  Although, I guess drawing and painting IS what the guy does for a living so...

3000 is not that bad. It is a quite common thing to do, signing letters, reports, etc some of us still have to do it in ou jobs. You just have a signature that it is a bit easier than others and a trained wrist!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #897 on: April 26, 2013, 08:24:11 AM »

3000 is not that bad. It is a quite common thing to do, signing letters, reports, etc some of us still have to do it in ou jobs. You just have a signature that it is a bit easier than others and a trained wrist!

I have a hard enough time just writing by hand for more then a few lines before my hand gets sore nowadays. Since I only do it very infrequently, as I type 99.999% of the time, it's a pain in the ass (or hand) to do it for me now.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #898 on: April 26, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
I would hardly call 3000 a limited edition...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #899 on: April 26, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »
I would also make the observation that anything marked "collectable" isn't.

Look at that Darth vader figure.  Highly valuable now, but in its day it was meant to be played with and abused.  The survivors are worth bucks now simply because they are rare and everyone remembers them.  The "collectables" OTOH are things that everyone put away and never played with, so there are now a ton available.
-Jay-