Author Topic: Lost Boys one sheet authentication  (Read 3846 times)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Lost Boys one sheet authentication
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
Does anyone have anything to look for to authenticate a Lost Boys one sheet? I just bought one advertised as 27x40.2.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Lost Boys one sheet authentication
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:33:20 PM »
1988, right?  Seems right to me.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:28:15 AM »
Thanks T, do you happen to know if there is an NSS number on this particular poster? I know the late 80's were pretty transitional with poster sizes, shipping methods (rolled v folded), and studio issued non NSS paper.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
Mine measures the same and doesn't have an NSS number, just 'Printed in USA' in the bottom right. I bought mine from Graeme a few years ago so I'm very confident that it's legit.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »
Thank you Ed. I recently received mine and noted the printed in the USA was present. I bought from a dealer with a good rep and after looking it over I believe it is legit.
Thanks again,
Conor

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 03:25:32 AM »
Hey Conor.

i just dug mine out.. its been rolled up and forgotten about for years.. it a very cool poster, for sure! And the movie came out in 1987. Is yours rolled or folded? I have seen both.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »
Mine is rolled as well. It seems feasible that in 1987 posters were shipped rolled as well as folded. I am glad mine is rolled though!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »
Mine is rolled as well. It seems feasible that in 1987 posters were shipped rolled as well as folded. I am glad mine is rolled though!

Indeed.. i've seen images of folded ones.. was the transition one of the transition years, from folded to rolled.

Thumbs up to it being a rolled copy, too!

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Severen

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 04:11:29 AM »
I have a couple of these and they both measure around the 40.2 mark. Every one I have ever seen has been a studio release poster so no NSS info. So it looks to me like you are in good shape. Hope this helps.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 05:43:09 AM »
I have a couple of these and they both measure around the 40.2 mark. Every one I have ever seen has been a studio release poster so no NSS info. So it looks to me like you are in good shape. Hope this helps.

Since it's a late 80's WB release, I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the rolled examples (along with some of the folded) were actually video one sheets, basically indistinguishable from the theatrical version.

I don't have any direct info that this is the case, since I don't collect on this specific title, but it's always a possibility with WB posters from this era (80's to very early 90's).

This is not to say that your posters are not originals, I just wanted give you a heads up to the possibility.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
Since it's a late 80's WB release, I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the rolled examples (along with some of the folded) were actually video one sheets, basically indistinguishable from the theatrical version.

I don't have any direct info that this is the case, since I don't collect on this specific title, but it's always a possibility with WB posters from this era (80's to very early 90's).

This is not to say that your posters are not originals, I just wanted give you a heads up to the possibility.

Jason,

If they are indistinguishable, are you saying that WB may have sent out original, theatrical OS, once the film was ready for video release? I would have thought they would have had the Warner Home Video snipe printed on them somewhere, as seen on the German video OS?  8)

Jeff

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:04:11 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
Related, by film, only... another style OS for THE LOST BOYS.    clap

this was the German video release poster:

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 07:41:19 PM »
If they are indistinguishable, are you saying that WB may have sent out original, theatrical OS, once the film was ready for video release?

Yes, I know a poster shop (still in business) that used to search out WB video posters from local video shops in order to re-sell as original theater posters.

Sometimes, there would be distinguishing marks, like Goodfellas which has an awards snipe, but many titles were identical.

Offline Severen

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »

Archie I think you are right on the money here, I would have to say that a lot of the rolled examples probably were video posters. The movie did have a decent theatrical release for the time (like 1250 theaters) but there are just too many original 1 sheets floating around for this title imo. There are a number of movies around that time that had a wider release that you don't see near the amount of available posters for. Very interesting.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »
What I am confused about is.. if they are no different than the original, theatrical OS, is what you are saying that the studio sent out original theatrical OS when the video was due to be released? Or did they print up re-strikes for this?

Jeff

-Jeff