Author Topic: linen  (Read 17878 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: linen
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 10:12:36 AM »
Excellent, glad to know where you stand, Rich.  I am making a chart on everyone who has replied to this thread with their personal preference so when the issue comes up again next week, I'll just post the info so we know where everyone stands on the issue.
sm1
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »
I wouldn't spend a $1 on the 1932 Dracula.................Now the 1931 Dracula is a different mater  ;)

From what I have seen, linen backed posters tend to go for a little more money than unbacked. I'd like to bring Bruce in if he's about, as he may have better info on this.   If I'm right, why is this??

I am in the only if the poster is in need of it Camp, and no posters after 1980 should be backed, why waste the money just buy a better copy... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
I wouldn't spend a $1 on the 1932 Dracula.................Now the 1931 Dracula is a different mater  ;)

From what I have seen, linen backed posters tend to go for a little more money than unbacked. I'd like to bring Bruce in if he's about, as he may have better info on this.   If I'm right, why is this??

I am in the only if the poster is in need of it Camp, and no posters after 1980 should be backed, why waste the money just buy a better copy... 

I think they go for more because the whole linen-backing process costs money. Since they're putting $50 or more in some cases into having the poster backed, people with LB posters think the poster absorbs this value.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »

Ouch.  What can I say?  I've been staring at Airbus requirements all week and making sure everything is mapped.  All my eyes can see is tiny little arrows  :-[
-Jay-

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »
They handle better and is easier to PIN to a wall.

*faints*

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »
Since they're putting $50 or more in some cases into having the poster backed, people with LB posters think the poster absorbs this value.

If someone is only putting $50 in linen-backing, I definitely don't want it!  Most quality restorers will charge at least $100 just for backing, not including restoration and/or labor.  Usually a 1-sheet works out to about $150-$200.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
*faints*

Actually pinning a backed poster to the wall is not really that bad at all.  The excess linen around the poster allows for this sort of thing.

A nice alternative to framing a three or six sheet me thinks but you have to sure noone is going to spill beer or something worse on the unframed and naked poster!
Chris

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
If someone is only putting $50 in linen-backing, I definitely don't want it!  Most quality restorers will charge at least $100 just for backing, not including restoration and/or labor.  Usually a 1-sheet works out to about $150-$200.

I think I knew that. I don't know why I put $50. Sometimes I try to come up with rational numbers on the fly and wind up with low ones. The other day a friend of mine was talking about buying a new car and I said something like "Buy used, buying new would cost you over a thousand dollars". Needless to say there was an awkward moment of silence.

Actually pinning a backed poster to the wall is not really that bad at all.  The excess linen around the poster allows for this sort of thing.

A nice alternative to framing a three or six sheet me thinks but you have to sure noone is going to spill beer or something worse on the unframed and naked poster!

*refrains from fainting*

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 01:47:54 PM »

I am with you on this, Paul and am of the same thought. Post 1980 posters are so prolific that it makes zero sense to back a copy that has been ripped or damaged in some way. Just pick up another that is bound to come along.

I had 3 pieces backed-- a 1920's French one panel, a 1927 pre-war Belgian and a 1936 French (this one is an odd size--it measures about 27x39 if i remember).  The one panel had some fold separations and the paper was brittle and needed to be washed, too, as much of the background area is white. I was afraid to unfold it multiple times to even look at it. The other french had weakening fold areas and needed to be de-acidified. The Belgian was delicate and printed on thinner paper. So my reasoning was from a conservation and preservation standpoint, only.

I had no restoration or painting done, leaving them as is. I just didnt want them to eventually fall apart, so opted to have them backed.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
My problem is, I have 4/5 posters that "need" backing, but I keep spending the money on other posters... ;D   I must get them done, in fact my Belated new years resolution is to have them done by Christmas. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »
Actually pinning a backed poster to the wall is not really that bad at all.  The excess linen around the poster allows for this sort of thing.

I currently have my R68 Fistful of Dollars Italian 4-foglio up on the wall with binder clips while I'm piecing together framing... I couldn't wait to get it on the wall!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »
Ted, where's my beating-a-dead-horse animation?

Confucius say: "Beating a dead horse is much easier than branding a live one."  wynk

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »
Confucius say: "Beating a dead horse is much easier than branding a live one."  wynk

Ouch!  When I was 7, I got kicked by a horse just like that (not branding him, just whacking him in the ass with a stick), and it almost killed me.  Thanks for the memories!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 01:31:33 AM »
I got kicked by a horse just like that (not branding him, just whacking him in the ass with a stick), and it almost killed me.  Thanks for the memories!

Whackin' him with a stick, eh? That'll learn ya....

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 02:45:33 AM »

Man " I - told - you - no - Linenbacking"

Horse "Fuck off"

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »
Excellent, glad to know where you stand, Rich.  I am making a chart on everyone who has replied to this thread with their personal preference so when the issue comes up again next week, I'll just post the info so we know where everyone stands on the issue.

Don't forget to put me in the "Linen still sucks" column on the spreadsheet.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »
Those look really nice Mel.

Can you share what restoration was done on each?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
Those look really nice Mel.

Can you share what restoration was done on each?

I specifically requested minimal restoration on the French Line, just slight airbrushing of the spots on the face where the NSS stamp showed through.  Not sure about the others, as I bought them already linen-backed. 

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 12:00:45 AM »

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!   my friggin god man thats AWESOME im pissing my pants !!!

and im new and back a poster  NO!!!!

lololololol hard to type when your rolling on the floor laughuing out loud   lololololo

nighty night !!!!!!  lolololololo
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:01:28 AM by SHOCKWAVE »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 12:07:21 AM »
Sometimes they need it, and cripes when they do and you have a good restorer they look GREAT.
Depends on motivation I guess, for reselling Id say no, but if you love a poster and it needs help, then go for it, and PIN IT TO YOUR WALL.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »

but waht about being exposed to air and light ?wont that hurt them ?if cased in glass then only light an issue no ?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 01:26:24 AM »
but waht about being exposed to air and light ?wont that hurt them ?if cased in glass then only light an issue no ?

Well I don't think air is going to hurt them - afterall trees REALLY like carbon dioxide! ;)
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 01:44:01 AM »
unless your talking about a valuable  and genuinely rare poster (ahem Metropolis) who cares? Enjoy them, they want to be on walls not boxes.
And BTW not that I care, but behind glass, there is humidity to worry about and moisture.
IMHO of course.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 04:51:06 AM »
LOL , my linen backed posters looks like a buncho sky scrapers in the room  bed1

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »
I am in the minimal linenbacking camp myself.

I think too many folks are into the "they have to look perfect" camp which causes posters to be linenbacked when the only defect is a minor crossfold separation. I would only linenback when the poster is falling apart and is worth the cost of linenbacking.  I guess I am cheap, but the poster had better appreciate in value at least the cost of the restoration.

I am not a purist though.  I have purchased linenbacked posters and will continue to bid on them.  However, I will not pay a premium over a non backed poster of similar condition.
-Jay-