Author Topic: Black Swan from Tloce - what do we think?  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Black Swan from Tloce - what do we think?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 02:38:07 AM »
Im sure Dave L wont mind me borrowing this

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
Thanks for the links, Ari.
I must've missed 'em.
We probably should compile some sort of list here that spells out who the real fakirs are.
Put 'em on notice...

Gimpy

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
This thread officially has me spooked. I bought an Avatar advance DS one sheet from this guy in December 2010 for $35. IF it's not legit, I would be absolutely crushed beyond belief. That was the first poster I bought when starting to collect and is to this day my most prized piece (absolutely huge fan of Cameron and the movie).

Advice? PLEASE????

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Get together pics, measurement s etc. But he does sell a LOT of legit posters also. Most would be fine, theres just some titles that are not. He knows it, we know it, he doesn't care, we do (well I only partially care - or rather care for you guys - as I have no interest in them for myself).
I have no idea if there are fake Avatar posters or not.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
I think in this case the question is one we keep asking, but can never come up with an answer for.  What is a legitimate poster?  If the studio authorizes printing a gazillion extra copies beyond what is needed so they can be distributed to the fan market, are they legitimate posters?  What if the movie becomes successful that the studio authorizes a second, third, etc run?  What if the printer runs off a few thousand extra and 'forgets' to give them to the studio?  Should we only count theater hung material?  Folks, don't bother to start the debate again, we already know there is no real answer here.  This is one reason (of many) why I mostly collect pre-1980.

I don't think there was any need for fakes on Avatar because everybody expected a big demand and they printed a large number of them.
-Jay-

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
agreed,
One of the reasons I love theatre used, times scrawled on the front, notes written on the back, pin holes, whatever. I like history.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
I think in this case the question is one we keep asking, but can never come up with an answer for.  What is a legitimate poster?  If the studio authorizes printing a gazillion extra copies beyond what is needed so they can be distributed to the fan market, are they legitimate posters?  What if the movie becomes successful that the studio authorizes a second, third, etc run?  What if the printer runs off a few thousand extra and 'forgets' to give them to the studio?  Should we only count theater hung material?  Folks, don't bother to start the debate again, we already know there is no real answer here.  This is one reason (of many) why I mostly collect pre-1980.

I don't think there was any need for fakes on Avatar because everybody expected a big demand and they printed a large number of them.

To my knowledge, studios are not printing extras for the public and most of the studios are trying harder than ever to put a lock down on posters escaping their control. I know Fox and Paramount used to let you buy runs if you bought enough, but those days are gone. There is not an endless supply of newer titles so folks don't believe the printer is always on for whatever people want.

There were reprints on Avatar, I would suggest you check the size and print quality on the one you bought.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:42:35 AM by ddilts399 »

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 12:47:56 AM »
To my knowledge, studios are not printing extras for the public and most of the studios are trying harder than ever to put a lock down on posters escaping their control. I know Fox and Paramount used to let you buy runs if you bought enough, but those days are gone. There is not an endless supply of newer titles so folks don't believe the printer is always on for whatever people want.

There were reprints on Avatar, I would suggest you check the size and print quality on the one you bought.

I can confirm that studios can actually be pretty damn tight about what they send to theatres. We usually get posters in pairs, or three for tentpoles. That's it. Doesn't matter if they come destroyed or if we want extras for whatever reason. More often than not our request for more is denied. That, and lots of Sony and Fox posters still say "Property of X not for resale or reproduction" on the bottom. Obviously they're fully aware of the movie poster market, but they have no intention of theatre employees being able to profit from their product.

That said, they don't sell to the public. It's still a mystery to me where retail websites get them - I guess there must be some sort of deal. After all, I've seen official posters on Movieposter and whatnot that never actually make it to the theatres. The most recent being the first teaser for Captain America. The theatre version simply said "AVENGE" with no title, but there is a version of the poster that says "Captain America: The First Avenger". But that never made it to a theatre wall, or not that I ever saw.