Author Topic: Alamo Clownhouse  (Read 31548 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Alamo Clownhouse
« on: March 14, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
I don't buy Alamo posters. Mostly, I think they're overpriced. I also think some of the sellers of them are idiots.

Take this clown

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBOCOP-Alamo-Drafthouse-Tyler-Stout-24-x-36-Poster-/170615444284?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item27b979133c
last night he listed a Robocop with a $299 start bid & $750 BIN
it got a $299 bid right away.

this morning I saw the auction was ended with the "seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids." explanation

however, right after he ended the auction & cancelled all bids, he relisted it immediately
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBOCOP-Alamo-Drafthouse-Tyler-Stout-24-x-36-Poster-/170615650803?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item27b97c39f3

it's a picture perfect clownshow

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: Alamo Clownhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »
Well what's the point in doing that?
The guy's probably lost a sale, or at the very least another bidder to push up the eventual sale price.

Very odd.
Best wishes,
Adam

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:36:59 PM »
I think it's pretty obvious Adam.. he wants $750
he listed it at $299 to save a couple ebay listing bucks and he wont sell for $299

so I say if someone bids $299 again, he'll cancel it again

Alamo Jokehouse

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
I agree the sellers of these posters are idiots. I can see Star Wars fans paying hundreds of dollars for something with C3P0 on it but it astounds me that anybody would pay that much money for a piece of paper.

There've been a few Mondo posters I wanted, but none I would pay more than a hundred dollars for.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »
Go on Rich, bid on it... ;D 
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
Go on Rich, bid on it... ;D 

I have enough toilet paper on hand right now, but if I run out soon.........

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »

There've been a few Mondo posters I wanted, but none I would pay more than a hundred dollars for.

Ya...

I have looked at them and I like quite a few of them ALOT but I just cant do it....Maybe if I was loaded( wealthy not drunk  :P) I would but with my limited budget I have to stick to "real" posters.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »
Ya...

I have looked at them and I like quite a few of them ALOT but I just cant do it....Maybe if I was loaded( wealthy not drunk  :P) I would but with my limited budget I have to stick to "real" posters.

I'd have to be loaded (drunk not wealthy) to buy Alamo posters

-------

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »
I have enough toilet paper on hand right now, but if I run out soon.........

I know you were trying to establish that you consider drafthouse posters to be worthless, but I am choosing to misinterpret your statement as a proclamation of enormous wealth. With that in mind, I am also expanding my mental image of you to include your frequent use of royal birth certificates as Kleenex.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
I know you were trying to establish that you consider drafthouse posters to be worthless, but I am choosing to misinterpret your statement as a proclamation of enormous wealth. With that in mind, I am also expanding my mental image of you to include your frequent use of royal birth certificates as Kleenex.

I ran out of those certificates already.. Now I'm using rejected birther's requests for Obama's birth certificate

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
So when do you think we'll start seeing "limited reprintings" and "artisits proofs" on the market?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »
I don't buy Alamo posters. Mostly, I think they're overpriced. I also think some of the sellers of them are idiots.

Alamo Jokehouse

I agree the sellers of these posters are idiots.

Mondo sells the posters initially, which I am sure you already know, so basing your buying vs. passing rationals on flipper prices and any sort of shadiness derived from their greed is irrational to say the least.

Also, any metaphors describing the worthlessness of the Mondo lineup might be even more ridiculous than the 'sellers of them are idiots' bit.  You can personally detest any and all products they deliver, but ignoring values generally increasing over time on a fair amount of pieces and the occasional lemon* reeks of ignorance.

*see older Stouts/Slater Goldfinger/Moss SW set

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
Mondo sells the posters initially, which I am sure you already know, so basing your buying vs. passing rationals on flipper prices and any sort of shadiness derived from their greed is irrational to say the least.

Also, any metaphors describing the worthlessness of the Mondo lineup might be even more ridiculous than the 'sellers of them are idiots' bit.  You can personally detest any and all products they deliver, but ignoring values generally increasing over time on a fair amount of pieces and the occasional lemon* reeks of ignorance.

*see older Stouts/Slater Goldfinger/Moss SW set

clap clap

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »
Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com on Today at 02:13:17 PM

Wonka.. you have to read my post again.. I said "I also think some of the sellers of them are idiots." I did not say that all sellers are idiots.
Now I do think they are overpriced in every possible way and like Phil Edwards, I have no doubt they are the Franklin Mint of posterdom. Of course time will tell on that issue. But to the point at hand, the seller of the poster linked in my initial post most certainly fits the "I also think some of the sellers of them are idiots." comment

-------

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 06:00:11 PM »
Also, any metaphors describing the worthlessness of the Mondo lineup might be even more ridiculous than the 'sellers of them are idiots' bit.  You can personally detest any and all products they deliver, but ignoring values generally increasing over time on a fair amount of pieces and the occasional lemon* reeks of ignorance.

Wonka.. you have to read my post again.. I said "I also think some of the sellers of them are idiots." I did not say that all sellers are idiots.

It was actually me who did said the "sellers are idiots" without any discretion. If allowed, I'd like to clarify that of course I don't think that anybody who tries to resell a drafthouse print is an idiot. When an in-demand item is no longer available, of course the limited number of those items is going to increase dramatically in value.

I was in no way arguing that Mondo posters aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Just that I would never pay that much ($799 in this case) for the poster. Or any poster, for that matter, unless it was of some sort of historical significance. I like drafthouse posters, I see their place and their value, but I think its ludicrous when people who hold this paper attempt to impose their own value that does not reflect the supply and demand.

There are many drafthouse posters on my watch list right now. Steamboat Willie, There Will Be Blood, Dracula, etc. The people selling these posters have repeatedly listed them over and over for weeks, months in some cases, and nobody has ever bid on them. Why? Because they are attempting to make them worth more than collectors are willing to play. This is where I see idiocy. Yes, that Robocop poster is valuable, but is it $800 valuable?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »
like Phil Edwards, I have no doubt they are the Franklin Mint of posterdom.

Tsk tsk tsk....This is how you got in trouble on that comic book board. You will never learn  :P

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 06:42:09 PM »
Tsk tsk tsk....This is how you got in trouble on that comic book board. You will never learn  :P

nah Zorba.. on the CGC boards it's alot like Fox News.. They only like one viewpoint.

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
Heritage has several Alamo Drafthouse posters in its "Signature" auction and has given them ludicrous estimates for the most part.

The Expresso Beans/Mondo fanboys have very little interest in original movie posters, so I'm not sure Mondo is taking away many $$$ from the original MP hobby.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 05:15:06 AM »
It just seems to me that if you like ROBOCOP enough to buy a poster, then buy the real deal.
No offense against Stout, but that Alamo print is a mess...

guest8

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
I bought the Stout Robocop for $300 and a recent Ebay auction sold one for just over $500 .. Take that for what its worth...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
I bought the Stout Robocop for $300 and a recent Ebay auction sold one for just over $500 .. Take that for what its worth...

I take is as there's 2 suckers born every minute.

guest8

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »
The other one just sold on ebay for $365 .. and it was a bad auction ending in the middle of the work day for most people .. Maybe this is just a market you guys dont have interest in and are unjustly judging something you dont know much about?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
Just that I would never pay that much ($799 in this case) for the poster. Or any poster, for that matter, unless it was of some sort of historical significance. I like drafthouse posters, I see their place and their value, but I think its ludicrous when people who hold this paper attempt to impose their own value that does not reflect the supply and demand.

Ok, so you won't pay $799 for this poster, gotcha.  The seller is trying to raise the glass ceiling if you will, on this particular piece.  It obviously hasn't gotten to that value yet, but in time, probably will...count on it.  To be honest, I think you might want to re-evaluate the history of Mondo poster/print values in terms of what has risen in value and how quickly various pieces have reached certain dollar amounts.  Expresso Beans is a great place to start.

There are many drafthouse posters on my watch list right now. Steamboat Willie, There Will Be Blood, Dracula, etc. The people selling these posters have repeatedly listed them over and over for weeks, months in some cases, and nobody has ever bid on them. Why? Because they are attempting to make them worth more than collectors are willing to play. This is where I see idiocy. Yes, that Robocop poster is valuable, but is it $800 valuable?

You cannot compare a newer post to that of an earlier-ish Stout piece that came out when Mondo was on the cusp of its widespread popularity.  In regards again to our Robocop, don't take my word for it, have a look-see at the EB graph.  It's on its way...

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/95283

It just seems to me that if you like ROBOCOP enough to buy a poster, then buy the real deal.
No offense against Stout, but that Alamo print is a mess...

Apples and oranges.  A 24 year old one sheet for mass marketing efforts vs. a 4 year old limited screen print meant for a singular screening...different strokes, different folks.

I take is as there's 2 suckers born every minute.

Yeah, if only everyone could just wake up and taste the El Brendel coffee...we would then finally experience true greatness in the poster world.

I was mistaken,

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 02:05:57 PM »

Yeah, if only everyone could just wake up and taste the El Brendel coffee...we would then finally experience true greatness in the poster world.

Unlike many people on this forum I don't collect for how much something is worth, I collect for pleasure.  Sure, I buy a lot of stuff most people on the forum would laugh at but it's not that's not what this hobby is all about for me.  And I'm sure, Wonka, you'd be blowing all over yourself if you found a "Just Imagine" one sheet so don't give me all yer Brendel crap.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
You're just making lame generalizations now, Louie, with no inclination towards any sort of objective thinking.

We get it, you don't like Alamo posters.  No one cares.

I was mistaken,