Author Topic: chip guy checking in.  (Read 10383 times)

the chip guy

chip guy checking in.
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »
Hi everybody!

My name is Jon, i'm from Minnesota and i'm a life long film fan and poster collector. I started collecting movie posters when I was 10. I would get them from my local movie store for free and being the dumb kid, I did not take good care of any of them:( tacks where used liberally..... and now I only have a few left in poor condition at best.

I started collecting MMA event posters a couple years ago and now it seems that my collection is finally complete?? Current UFC poster suck, Dream may be going out of business soon:( the poster design for SRC events leaves a lot to be desired...... Srikeforce and Bellator do not make posters for retail sale.

I've been lurking around this forum for about a week now and I think a shift in my collecting tendencies in necessary. The more knowledge you guy's drop on me the better! I plan on just soaking in the information for the next couple weeks before I make any purchases. I promise to read as many old threads as I can and to resist the urge to bump them. If I have a noob question is it ok if I ask it here?

Here are a some pic's of my MMA stuff if any of you care....

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: chip guy checking in.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
Welcome to APF Jon  thumbup

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:07:10 AM »
Nice...welcome and thanks for sharing!
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »
Strange how many ex-fighters collect posters, I taught Martial arts for many years and I know there's a few on this board who have studied.

Feel free to ask anything, there's some very tuned in people on here. I'm learning all the time.   Enjoy.
It's more than a Hobby...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:36:03 AM »
Some kick ass posters, chip.  Awesome artwork on those Pride posters - I never realized MMA posters had artwork other than the usual standoffs like UFC posters, but the UFC posters are still classic, especially the ones from early days.  A big MMA fan here myself and those Bas Rutten posters are cool, I just wish that Brighthouse didn't get rid of HDNet so I could still watch Inside MMA.  :'(  It's good to have someone on here with knowledge about MMA posters.  Welcome aboard and thanks for posting the pictures.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
Jon,nice collection, i really like the mosaic effect GP 2006...on your first photo,the second from left, framed Pride GP2004 poster,looks great too.
Any chance of a closer look?

Stew

the chip guy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome everybody! I'm so relieved that I haven't been shunned for being a MMA fan :) I wouldn't call myself an "expert" on MMA posters yet, but a do know a lot about them and i've done deals with and know every MMA collectable expert there is, so if I can't answer question I do know someone who can and i'm more than willing to help out anybody on this board, you all seem like pretty cool people!

I'm with you Neo on the look of the Pride posters, awesome themes beautiful colors and design, most pride posters where winners!

The mma museum on facebook is a great resource if your ever curious as to what a cretin event poster should look like.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=119520&id=105465631457

Is this the poster you need a better look at Stew?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
I'd say you've got a good start on becoming the "resident" MMA poster guy!
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 01:03:20 PM »
Thats the one Jon..im liking that mate..nice

Stew

the chip guy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »
I'd say you've got a good start on becoming the "resident" MMA poster guy!

lol, i'm cool with that 8)

Stew, the 04' 2nd rd Gp comes up for sale only once or twice a year :'( $200 is a fair price for one.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »
Some more great posters on that facebook link, especially these IMO.

the chip guy

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »
Good eye Neo! i've been looking for that 30 for some time, I kinda gave up on finding B2 in good condition........

I did score the 29 though

The Hokusai Tribute is the first Pride poster that I ever bought and by far my favorite!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
Jon hide the Bushido stuff...my wife willl make me track these down if she sees them.. ;D

Stew

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
Very cool collection there Chip. The Pride posters are very cool. I helped produce a UFC documentary way back in the day when UFC wasn't near as big as it is now. I hung out with a lot of the old school fighters. The ones that did ok making money but nothing near what they are making now. But that happens most of the time when you are a pioneer of something new. I got to hang out with Bas Rutton, Frank Shamrock, Randy Couture, and several others. I had dinner several times with Bas. He is just a fun guy and cracks me up. He is definitely my favorite UFC fighter and personality. The guy is just cool, fun, and a badass without being a cocky asshole like some of the others I hung out with. Bas taught me how to choke someone out which I used on a friend of mine when I got home. The guys I didn't like as much were Ken Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, and a few others.

I actually used two MMA fighters as fight consultants on my latest short film I just shot. They were Guy Mezger and Tra Telligman. So in short I appreciate your collection. It is very cool.

Here is a funny story about Bas. Now Bas is a very polite person and most people get his personality. As I said before he taught me how to do a chokehold on someone. And in fact we were practicing it on the mat in between filming the same day this story takes place. Bas showed me how to practice on my leg, where I put my arm underneath my leg while sitting on the ground then wrap the other around the top of my leg using my knee as substitute for some ones head and squeeze on your leg practicing applying the choke move.

Anyway, we were at a bar/club later that night and our group of guys that consisted of a few filmmakers and fighters were drinking beers and shooting the bull. This guy comes up to a couple of girls that were talking near our group and he starts harassing them. They guy ends up getting a bit physical with one of them and starts cussing making a scene. A couple of us noticed and Bas watched for a minute then walked over there and tapped the guy on the shoulder. The guy turns around and Bas said, I think it is time for you to leave the ladies alone. They clearly don't want you bothering them. (Of course you have to implement the Holland accent in English to get the full picture) So the guy who is rather tall looks at him and says some smart ass remark to him but he eventually walks away. Bas comes back to our group and the ladies say thank you. Before we knew it they girls were now part of our group talking.

About 20 minutes later this guy sees them hanging out with us and he gets pissed so he comes back over and tries to pull one of the girls away from our group to harass her some more. Before I know it, Bas pushes through our group and puts his finger in that guys face and says, "I already told you once to leave the ladies alone." The guy starts mouthing off to Bas and trys to push Bas's finger out of his face. Bas turns to me and says, "here's how you do it." Bas lets the guy grab his hand trying to push it out of his face and then Bas grabs his arm slings him around and slides his arm underneath the guys chin. Bas tells him to leave the establishment before things get out of hand. The guy who is struggling says, "Fuck You" and Bas said with a whisper no louder than our group and a few others could hear, "Fuck Me? Your are the one that is going to get fucked tonight baby, because I'm going to fuck your dead corpse." And then Bas applies full pressure on the choke and the guy passes out. Bas lets go and they guy drops to the floor and then he takes his boot which was rather pointy and kicks they guy in the ass. Now if you know MMA then you know what kind of kick Bas has. (In fact I was filming footage of Bas kicking a punching back earlier that day and the force behind his kicks were insane. The bag kept flying to the ceiling with most of it bending around his leg as he followed through with the kick. As I was holding the camera I kept thinking, holy shit that could be somebody's spine.)

Anyway, two other fighters who were not big names grab the guy and they dragged his ass out the back door and left him in the alley. He was just starting to come to when the door shut closed so I don't know for sure what all happened to him. But I bet you his asshole was hurting so bad he probably believed what Bas said to him before he got choked out. Bas and the other fighters apologized to the ladies and we all went back to BSing. One of the guys with us knew the owner so it wasn't a big deal and the thing happened so quick only a few other people in the club knew what happened.

the chip guy

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
Awesome story Superman! I've heard rumors that choking assholes out and leaving them pant less in the street and buying a round for the bar with their credit card is Bas's "special move" it's cool as hell to hear some of that rumor confirmed. Bas has and will always be one of my favorite fighters.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
That Hokusai tribute looks like a classic, Chip.

Great story Supraman.  What documentary did you help produce?

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum  clap  I miss Pride.  I liked it better than UFC because of fighters like Sakuraba

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
 welcome1 aboard, Jon.  Great posters and nicely displayed!

Great Bas story, Chad. The dude is a legend.

T-Shime

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I am a big fan of UFC, although this has to be my first time seeing UFC posters. That Bushido poster kicks ass.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »
That Hokusai tribute looks like a classic, Chip.

Great story Supraman.  What documentary did you help produce?

Well, unfortunately the year and a half I worked on that project flying all over the country, following fighters as they train and then going to Vegas for the fights at Mandalay Bay all got wasted. The project was killed because our executive producer who funded the whole thing and was the one that got permission from the very top of UFC got crossed with a very high level management person, which I will not reveal names, after UFC #40. Ortiz vs. Randy. I believe it was no. 40, it's been forever ago now. Anyway, our executive producer is a female who was an ex-model who lived in Paris for a long time making great money for so many years. I will not reveal her name either. She was in her 30's and her modeling career was over so she wanted to fly around and do documentaries the first being UFC because she was fascinated by it and then she wanted to do Polo because she actually owns her own Polo team, both players and horses.

Anyway, she had an affair with a person who was upper level management in UFC and then later that year she had an affair with a fighter. Well things didn't go so well when they found out they were both seeing the same girl and they pulled our rights to sell or show any footage. It was crazy actually. Somehow, someone broke into our suit at Mandalay bay and stole all the contracts we had just resigned earlier that day. They broke in while we were filming at the fight that night. UFC and Mandalay are pretty tight I guess and they are the ones that put us up in our suits. So, it all came down because she fell in love with a fighter that we were following around while she was still having an affair with a UFC exec.

You have to understand that, we were with these guys for long periods of time. We would train with them all day, go with them to eat, get up early and meet them on the track to do running drills, hang out with them at night for dinner, or at bars and clubs. We would do interviews everywhere both in the gym, in hotel rooms, at the fighting events and so forth. These guys eat around the clock. Their alarm goes off at 3 am so they can eat, then go back to bed, and get up to do drills early in the morning.

We had some really cool interviews in their rooms with the vegas city glowing out the window the night before the fights. Talking about how they were going to fuel up after the weigh in and what the fight game plan. Going over technique with their trainers. We also had interviews in our own personal hotel rooms. Late nights, these guys work hard and party hard.

At the time I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. My producing partner and I knew a few months before this wasn't going end well if our exec didn't handle it properly. Which she kept putting off. But, looking back on it now, it does make sense. Having an affair with two different people in two different parts of the country for a year is fairly easy to get away with but when everyone comes together for one big event, it becomes very difficult to keep it hidden. Especially more so when they work together and one is the others boss. So all I can say is it was a lot of craziness, but a lot of fun. No two days were ever the same.

As a side note. If you think being a fan of a particular fighter is exciting after they win a fight, there's a different level of excitement when you've had the opportunity to followed him around for 5 months preparing for it. Watching them suffer and sacrifice, helping him stay honest to himself and his trainers. Helping him try to get a win for all the fighters who train at that gym. Watching him overcome injuries during training, cut down in weight. Becoming friends with their family and girlfriends or wives. You become part of the team and it's just a different feeling. It also makes you realize that when a fighter loses there's a whole network of people he lets down besides his fans and that weight on his shoulders is not easy to carry around.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
Sounds like a great experience.  Too bad that the documentary fell through, based on your efforts and everything it probably would have been a top notch production.  Although it would have been rewarding to see your efforts on the big screen where others could enjoy it, I'm sure your personal experience was priceless.

the chip guy

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 04:51:02 PM »
Off the top of my head Superman there are probably 4 or 5 people in Zuffa the time that had enough clout to kill a project like yours....... The fighter could be anyone, i'd pick Ricco as my main suspect though:)

Sucks you project got killed!!! The smashing machine is one of my favorite documentaries, anything that gives you a look into the lives of the fighters is very cool in my book.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:10:40 PM by the chip guy »

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
Yeah, our documentary followed big names, medium names, and even undercard no name fighters who were working their way up to make a name for themselves. It was also a time period when UFC hadn't gotten super big in the US but it was on its way and upper management was already trying to figure out how to reach out to other markets. There was a big push on Ortiz to pull in Mexican viewership with his flag that he pranced around with before each fight. They were trying to get into Japan and Europe which Bisping became the poster child for later on.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »
Welcome Chip Guy.

Great story Supraman. Too bad the doc got killed.