Author Topic: Is it worth Linen backing posters  (Read 39880 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Is it worth Linen backing posters
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »
The growth and popularity of linen-backing in the 1980's and 1990's was principally, in my view, a result of dealer demand. Such posters were easier to handle/display/sell and significant defects could be "hidden" in the restoration process to add value. Conservation was not really an influencing factor. Now, many collectors maintain the principal reason for linen-backing their posters is to conserve them even though no museum of any repute would allow their conservators to linen-back their valuable paper items.

I occasionally linen back one sheet and larger sized posters if I intend to display them on a long term basis; for handling and viewing convenience in the case of very large sizes; if they are old and brittle. Otherwise, I keep all my unframed posters in mylar pockets, which cost a fraction of linen-backing, in flat drawer plan chests. There is no risk of damage from handling, fold lines flatten out, the poster is safe from adverse environmental factors and most importantly it retains its original form.

I rarely buy a linen-backed poster unless it is old or rare and will always seek to buy (and pay more for) a non-backed poster, unfolded if possible, in the best possible condition.   

Mark

+1  My thoughts exactly.  Thank you for articulating your response so clearly!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 12:27:13 AM »
I only have a few backed posters.
One I bought backed, but it was cheap.
One I got as a gift, from a restorer and friend.
and one that was done after I bought it, it was very brittle and needed love (every unfold would make more paper fall off).
Ive shown it before, but.

Before

After

I think anyone would agree it was one that was improved with some work.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

velvet11

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »
Unless you maintain your posters in museum conditions, posters will get brittle, breakup then turn to dust. The better posters will end up on linen on their journey to dust.

This is especially true if you collect larger French and (especially) Italian posters. I have some that are basically unused, but they are very, very brittle. They just wouldn't survive much longer without being mounted on something.

ron

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
You must be storing them at too high a temperature. Turn the heat down. 8)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »

I occasionally linen back one sheet and larger sized posters if I intend to display them on a long term basis; for handling and viewing convenience in the case of very large sizes; if they are old and brittle. Otherwise, I keep all my unframed posters in mylar pockets, which cost a fraction of linen-backing, in flat drawer plan chests. There is no risk of damage from handling, fold lines flatten out, the poster is safe from adverse environmental factors and most importantly it retains its original form.

Mark

Mark, do you (or anyone who uses sleeves of any kind) use backing boards or just the sleeves themselves?

I am on the fence with purchasing boards.  I have both poly and mylar sleeves, mostly for my art prints, Mondo stuff.  That paper is much thicker, and while I wouldn't mind boards, I would think the boards are more necessary with traditional movie paper because of the thinner nature of said papers.  Just wondering what you do or what you thought in this regard.

Poly is 100x easier to slide stuff in and out, mylar is very tricky...which is why I think boards with mylar might be easier...or maybe you find that just stacking un-boarded paper does the job of protecting and flattening...?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
No, I think the use of backing boards is unnecessary. They take up too much space, particularly if used in a plan chest. The mylar pockets I use are 100 microns thick and they are strong enough to allow easy handling whilst protecting the poster. I use pockets with one open side (the shortest width) and I agree it can sometimes be difficult to get the poster in, particularly if there is a tear. However, it doesn't normally take more than a minute to push the poster in - I find a long ruler helps in fully opening the pocket. The mylar and weight of the posters, if stored on top of each other, will definitely allow flattening.

Mark

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »
Thanks, Mark.  I think I am with you on this.

My only concern with the thin paper was inadvertent creasing when handling it, even in a sleeve, you know?  I guess that is why mylar is so great, it doesn't need a board for that purpose alone.  Poly sleeves are a different story, IMO, when dealing with movie paper.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
I think Backing boards, or sleeve's are great if you have enough space, which I don't. I store most of my posters in flat file's, and the one's with tape, marks, or anything I'm not sure of, I leave folded in smaller draws.

I do keep the room in darkness, unless I'm in there. There is no central heating turned on in that room, which keeps an ambient temperature. I do think we can go over the top, it's not a museum, I have collected for 35+ years and non of my posters are any worse since buying them, and it's only in the last 5 years I've thought about storing correctly. Yet some of these posters are 80+ years old and look fine.    

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 08:21:48 PM »
I only have a few backed posters.
One I bought backed, but it was cheap.
One I got as a gift, from a restorer and friend.
and one that was done after I bought it, it was very brittle and needed love (every unfold would make more paper fall off).
Ive shown it before, but.

Before

After

I think anyone would agree it was one that was improved with some work.

Ari,

Who did your backing and restoration? Was it Dario?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »
Not sure where Ari is lately (and I hope he won't mind be answering for him!) but I am fairly confident it was Mendez.
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 05:10:22 AM »
Sorry I have been away and Chris is correct.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »
Hmmm - a linen-backed Jaws poster with no restoration - I don't see the point:

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »
Looks like a mistake in the listing as I don't see hide nor hair of any linen on that poster nor any touch up of defects, like you mentioned

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »
Looks like a mistake in the listing as I don't see hide nor hair of any linen on that poster nor any touch up of defects, like you mentioned

You can see it in the larger photo on Heritage - it's almost trimmed to the border

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »
Hmmm - a linen-backed Jaws poster with no restoration - I don't see the point

Different tastes, Mel.
Some people like to preserve the poster as is.
I know a couple of people personally who do this, and I must say, it actually looks pretty cool because it shows the posters have been used, which adds a bit of nostalgia.

However, in my opinion, if a person is going to pay the money to linen back a poster they can get relatively easily, then they might as well go the whole 9 yards ... If it's a poster that is very old, and requires preservation, then linen backing alone is fine by me.

Preservation is the point of linen backing after all, right?

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »
Different tastes, Mel.
Some people like to preserve the poster as is.
I know a couple of people personally who do this, and I must say, it actually looks pretty cool because it shows the posters have been used, which adds a bit of nostalgia.

However, in my opinion, if a person is going to pay the money to linen back a poster they can get relatively easily, then they might as well go the whole 9 yards ... If it's a poster that is very old, and requires preservation, then linen backing alone is fine by me.

Preservation is the point of linen backing after all, right?

Best,
Adam

Excellent response, Adam. It is a matter of taste. For many, if a poster is distressed, is splitting at the folds, or has major tears, it makes sense to linen back in order to preserve the integrity of the poster (and to literally hold it together). But there are many collectors, too, who opt to not have a poster airbrushed, painted or fold lines touched up with pencil, to such a degree, as to make it look brand new (especially on older, vintage pieces).

There are those who feel this erases the "life" and history of a poster by making it look pristine or unused. And posters that have been so airbrushed or in-painted look to be just that-- the genuine poster is hidden somewhere under all that restoration.

Personally, for me, less is more. And that's an aesthetic choice.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Then you guys would love my Belgian The Guns Of Navarone. Why even bother putting the C back into Columbia?  Now thats character!   

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
Great movie and great poster, Z.
Did you have it linen-backed or did you buy it that way?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »
Nice poster Zorba! 

By the way, I feel like we've already had this discussion, but is there any paper out there that shows the guns? 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 12:28:39 AM »
Nice poster Zorba! 

By the way, I feel like we've already had this discussion, but is there any paper out there that shows the guns? 

Bottom right...

http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/6597/Guns-of-Navarone-Daybills
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 12:46:46 AM »
Thanks!  I just did some searching and the Japanese poster has a great shot of the guns too...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 12:56:56 AM »
Yeah much better than the 4th style daybill hahaha...
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
Nice poster Zorba!  

By the way, I feel like we've already had this discussion  

We did! but that seems to happen often round these parts ....Besides it fit so well with the topic and my views on certain poster related subjects (this poster and restoration being two of them) have changed since then  8)

Great movie and great poster, Z.
Did you have it linen-backed or did you buy it that way?

Thanks....I bought it that way.   :)

Everyone shhhhhh bout that Japanese GoN.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »
If you want to put the "C" back on Columbia Zorba, I have some red Crayons. ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
Sent this Undead 1S to Poster Mountain for linen-backing, including bleaching.  It didn't really "need" it but I'm hoping it will improve the color fading and it has some wrinkling that can't be seen in the photo. Will post the results when I get it back:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:15:03 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »