Author Topic: What's on your walls?  (Read 545009 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: What's on your walls?
« Reply #1550 on: January 08, 2015, 09:02:18 PM »
Very cool, PW and Matt.  thumbup thumbup

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #1551 on: January 08, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
Beautiful walls, Matt!  I like the eclectic arrangement.  Who needs a fireplace when you have a Get Cartel Intl One Sheet to put in front of it? 

And L'Avventura above? Me gusta. I only wish I had room for a poster above my fireplace.  Alas, I only have 7.5 ft ceilings.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1552 on: January 08, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
Matt you are a bad man.

That is just GREAT!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:59:58 PM by Zorba »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1553 on: January 09, 2015, 12:43:07 AM »
Thanks for the kind words all!  To be fair, Sunset Boulevard, Pierrot le Fou and Get Carter were placed for the photo... that is not their permanent home.  Although they are all on display.

I'm surprised no one asked about.... 

;)

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #1554 on: January 09, 2015, 02:43:14 AM »
Looking good, Matt.  And I thought I was the only one who hung posters on doors  ;D.
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1555 on: January 09, 2015, 03:26:10 AM »
First rate room Matt, do you have posters up anywhere else in the house?
It's more than a Hobby...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1556 on: January 09, 2015, 04:00:43 AM »
I'm relieved to hear that Sunset Boulevard is just temporarily placed on the door - some real quality pieces there Matt - L'Avventura deserves to have an entire wall for itself.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1557 on: January 09, 2015, 05:25:22 AM »
I can't help wonder where I've seen Matt before.....??

wynk
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1558 on: January 09, 2015, 09:01:33 AM »
Cracking room Matt, very eclectic.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1559 on: January 09, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »
I'm relieved to hear that Sunset Boulevard is just temporarily placed on the door - some real quality pieces there Matt - L'Avventura deserves to have an entire wall for itself.

Mark

Thanks.  Sunset was just there temporarily so it was hanging on something like this.  My buddy likes his portraits VERY clean so he photoshopped out that door hanger, a smoke detector, a speaker from the upper corner of the room, and a few more things...  

EDIT: I've stated this in the past, but I need to come clean on the L'Avventura -- it's the French 1p.  Some day I'll track down the Italian though...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:52:44 AM by Harry Caul »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1560 on: January 09, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
I can't help wonder where I've seen Matt before.....??

wynk

???

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1561 on: January 09, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »
Great shot Matt and great posters on display!
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Mirosae

« Reply #1562 on: January 09, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
Great room Matt. I'll take La Grande Illusion! Best way to enjoy a good poster thumbsup.gif

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1563 on: January 09, 2015, 12:16:39 PM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1564 on: January 09, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
Your buddy should have photoshopped the Eastwood onto the floor to complete the ensemble
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1565 on: January 10, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
The current exhibit:

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1566 on: January 10, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
I thought some of you may be interested in these frames I built.  I had been using standard black metal Hollywood Poster frames, but after seeing a poster show in a nice gallery I was very jealous of the frames.  Well, I was lucky enough to find a more-or-less complete framing studio on craigslist for $500.  It was the contents of a small shop owned by a professional photographer who framed all is own prints.  Included in it were a miter saw with framing guides ($700 new), a foot-pedal driven v-nailer ($700), a table-top v-nailer ($200), a 45 deg sander for finishing miters ($100), and then TONS of other stuff -- hinge tape, point driver, 8-10 colors of filler putty, lots of corner clamps, etc, etc, etc.... There were literally boxes of equipment.  He also threw in a massive pile of unused moldings.  It was the deal of the century given that just these 5 frames I built would have cost $250 a piece easy at a professional frame store.  

FRAME: With these frames I tried to balance cost, UV protection and a clean, professional look.  The frames are made from furniture grade pine, gutted on a table saw and then mitered to length.  They were glued and then v-nailed from the back, but because the frame moldings were so deep I also had to clamp them to keep the front of the miters together.  After a bit of finish sanding they came out very clean looking.  They are just raw wood at this point, but they could easily be stained or painted to achieve any number of looks.

GLAZING: For glazing I used 1/4" standard acrylic.  Normally you would use 1/16" acrylic for a frame like this, but I chose thicker acrylic to improve the UV blocking.  I'm still looking for concrete data on how thickness impacts UV transmission, but I've heard from multiple framers that increasing thickness is a cheaper way to increase UV protection.  In my case, OP2/OP3 Museum grade acrylic would have been ~$150 a sheet (98% UV blocking).  Standard plexi is about 65-70% at 1/16" an inch.  I'm hoping that by moving to 4x thicker standard plexi that it will increase the UV blocking to the 80-85% range while only increasing cost a small bit.  In my case, each piece of 1/4" acrylic only cost $33.  

BACKING: I used flat black, acid-free foam core.  It serves as both a backing to the poster (secured in place with framing points from behind), and a surface to mount the poster for a floating look.  I know that seeing the edges of the paper might not be desirable for all posters, but I especially like it with these full-bleed Eastern Europeans.  Posters are mounted to the foam core using a standard T-hinge, which should be easily reversed with some bestine.  

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Now compare that with my previous frame job...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1567 on: January 10, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »
The current exhibit:

Sorry to hijack your post Neo!  Looking good!  And by the way, I finally tracked down a theatrical Lebowski B1. Looks just like the B2.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1568 on: January 10, 2015, 02:06:21 PM »
Sounds like a great deal on professional grade framing equipment, and it looks like you did a good job with the frames.  The wood frame moldings are really nice, and I also prefer them over the metal.

Personally, I'd feel better with the UV acrylic that is calculated to very low UV transmission percentages.  If you feel confident in your calculations and have faith that the stuff will work as you determined it should, then more power to you.

The black, acid-free foamcore is cool.

The professional framer guys can be brutal.  There are a lot of potential problems with the professional framer guys; from them charging exorbitant prices, to them not taking care of people's items, etc.  I almost went the DIY route myself, but luckily found a local, wholesale place that charges reasonable rates for the materials, and does the labor perfectly and at a very low cost, and I'd much rather install/remove my posters, prints, etc. myself.  Of course, the total DIY way is neat, and cool of you to share some info. on it.  thumbup

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:12:55 PM by Neo »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1569 on: January 10, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »
Sorry to hijack your post Neo!  Looking good!  And by the way, I finally tracked down a theatrical Lebowski B1. Looks just like the B2.

No big deal, brother.  Thanks.  That's awesome that you found a theater Lebowski B1.  That style is very groovy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:33:25 PM by Neo »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1570 on: January 10, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »
Personally, I'd feel better with the UV acrylic that is calculated to very low transmission percentages.  If you feel confident in your calculations and have faith that the stuff will work as you determined it should, then more power to you.

To be clear, I am definitely NOT confident in those numbers -- 1/4" acrylic offering 80-85% blocking is just a WAG.  The framers I spoke with heard it from the acrylic sales folks and it does make sense from a theoretical standpoint.  If any one has data on how UV transmission is impacted by acrylic thickness, please do share.  The downside to using thicker acrylic is weight.  Normally, acrylic is about 1/2 the weight of comparable thickness glass -- but by moving to 4x the thickness my frames are actually twice as heavy as a glass framed poster.  I went to pick up 6 cut pieces of 1/4" acrylic nearly threw out my back!  I ended up carrying them out to the car in two batches!  

That all said, the posters had been framed with regular 65-70% blocking acrylic so 1/4" acrylic will be an improvement in UV protection no matter what.  Also keep in mind that I put 98% UV film on all my exterior windows so they only thing I'm really protecting against at this point is UV emitted from the inside light fixtures.

And one last benefit of my deep wood frames that I forgot to mention -- because the eye screws and hanging wire are mounted on the inside edges of the back of the frame, your frames will sit flat against the wall!  No more tippy top/bottom frames due to protruding hanging hardware.  Unfortunately I live in a 1912 house without flat walls, but they WOULD be flat :)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1571 on: January 10, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »
To be clear, I am definitely NOT confident in those numbers -- 1/4" acrylic offering 80-85% blocking is just a WAG.  The framers I spoke with heard it from the acrylic sales folks and it does make sense from a theoretical standpoint.  If any one has data on how UV transmission is impacted by acrylic thickness, please do share.  The downside to using thicker acrylic is weight.  Normally, acrylic is about 1/2 the weight of comparable thickness glass -- but by moving to 4x the thickness my frames are actually twice as heavy as a glass framed poster.  I went to pick up 6 cut pieces of 1/4" acrylic nearly threw out my back!  I ended up carrying them out to the car in two batches!  

That all said, the posters had been framed with regular 65-70% blocking acrylic so 1/4" acrylic will be an improvement in UV protection no matter what.  Also keep in mind that I put 98% UV film on all my exterior windows so they only thing I'm really protecting against at this point is UV emitted from the inside light fixtures.

And one last benefit of my deep wood frames that I forgot to mention -- because the eye screws and hanging wire are mounted on the inside edges of the back of the frame, your frames will sit flat against the wall!  No more tippy top/bottom frames due to protruding hanging hardware.  Unfortunately I live in a 1912 house without flat walls, but they WOULD be flat :)

How unfortunate!  :P

The non-flat walls are part of the charm to those buildings.  I'm sure that a lot of folks living in these newly fandangled abodes have some home envy of the classic homes from the older days.

Good thinkin' on the mounting hardware placement on the frames.  thumbup
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:41:08 PM by Neo »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1572 on: January 10, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
Well to be fair, I didn't mean it was unfortunate that I lived in an old house.  I love my house and re-built it more or less from the original bones.  What was unfortunate, was thinking I had solved my tilty frame problem only to find out just how bad my walls were! 

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1573 on: January 10, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
Lookin' good neo!  What is the one between nerds and el duderino?

Love that room and the frames Matt.  Those look very professional.  I think we would all love to have our stuff professionally framed along those lines, but it is much too cost prohibitive.  Although, I still prefer black most of the time.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1574 on: January 10, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »
A bit difficult to follow Schan' awesomeness, but as Christmas is over swapped Scrooge with this one.....Yvonne' pick.

Love this one a whole, whole lot.
 cheers