Author Topic: Framed Posters and Fading  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Framed Posters and Fading
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »
If one were to use the preservation frames from Hollywood Poster Frames, is fading still an issue if a poster sits in a frame on a wall for year after year?

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: Framed Posters and Fading
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:07:26 PM »
I use Hollywood Poster Frames and have not had any issues with fading. They are excellent frames and endorse them whole heartedly. That said, I have had a one sheet in a Michaels art store frame (not uv proof plexi) and have not noticed any fading or sun bleaching.  I think a good rule is just try not to place the poster where it will be in direct sunlight for hours on end. I believe Harry uses a film on his windows which is brilliant IMO. Anyhow, I like your collection Chop and see we have similar tastes.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
Thanks! I've only got 25% of my collection on my website so far. As far as the fading, I've heard that even artificial light causes fading too, not just sunlight.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »
Yes, lights can emit UV. I think there are low UV lights available. There are also different levels of UV filtering offered in perspex. I saw a comparison of 5 different filtered perspex showing the different degree of fading as a result. A simple demonstration of perspex offcuts placed on a poster and stuck in the sun. I'd go with the highest filtering on treasured posters if you can afford it - 99.9% (I am guessing thats what the stated filtering was)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »
I use Hollywood Poster Frames and have not had any issues with fading. They are excellent frames and endorse them whole heartedly. That said, I have had a one sheet in a Michaels art store frame (not uv proof plexi) and have not noticed any fading or sun bleaching.  I think a good rule is just try not to place the poster where it will be in direct sunlight for hours on end. I believe Harry uses a film on his windows which is brilliant IMO. Anyhow, I like your collection Chop and see we have similar tastes.

Yup.  UV Plexi from HPF to filter out sunlight and room lights + UV film on the windows to further protect posters, woodwork, furniture fabric, etc...  I think the film for all my windows only cost $100 or so, but it was a pain in the ass to install.  Still, it is great for piece of mind. 

The only thing left to do is make sure you keep heat down by making sure the posters stay out of direct sunlight.  I still have one or two posters that get hit directly by sun rays, but that is usually only in winter (when the sun is low) and only for a short time during the day.  So far no problems... fingers crossed.